COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

LPG

likes thicc birds
I've been to bright a couple of times and I'm a bit disappointed with the new rule (lastly rime was just before the rule. We went as a group for a long weekend camping and riding. We would typically pedal mostly but we would often self shuttle after a morning of pedalling using our campsite at the bottom as the shuttle spot so people could chill out between runs. This rule interrups that freedom to do as you like and means you need to compromise. I like bright and willnbe back at some point but we haven't been back since and it makes you reconsider if it is the best place to go.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it seems dumb to me that this is true.

Just don't understand how running multiple buses can cost less than a chairlift. Similar number of personnel required but 1 electric motor vs multiple IC engines? Surely the extra run time doesn't make any difference to the yearly maintenance costs and it's the snow crew being dicks about it.

Maybe they could hit up the gov to subsidize the cost of running a chair for the eco benefits over using IC vehicles.

I miss riding the horse hill chair...
View attachment 382118
There is a fair bit of maintenance costs required for the lifts. I've been involved with overhauling some of the parts (mainly the lift gearboxes) and the typical schedule is for them to be removed once the snow is gone for crane access and then reinstalled before the snow is back. This means that each year some of the lifts are out of service all summer for maintenance. Places that do lift access typically have the bikes riding 1 lift only, if it was open for bikes they would have to use an alternate lift every 3 or so years. If something goes wrong during the summer and it can't be fixed in situ then they may risk having a lift down all winter if it can't be fixed in time

I'm not sure what thredbos maintenance plan is, they might keep more spares than other ski fields for the lifts they run during the summer. They surely get more walkers than riders by far, but the riders will go up the lift many times per day. The walkers probably make it financially worthwhile.

That's not to say that they couldn't make the lifts work for a similar cost but it would probably interrupt their current maintenance and operator schedule. Its easier to have another business pay a commission to run riders up the hill in a bus than deal with changing their ways for a small bit of mtb based profit.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Hooray...kids back at school 4 days, Mr11 complains last night about a sore throat, he wakes up this morning happily enough with no complaints, I get a slight tickle in the back of my throat about 2pm today, then this comes through about 6.45pm....FFS

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Are you sure it’s not just stupid douchebags who have been kept safe from general illnesses the last couple of years that are now all “Errr mah gerrrrrrddddd… Sniffles are the worst. Like, OMG. Right?”
Haha it might be, their tests are coming back negative. Was just a tounge in cheek jab at the headline

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Are you sure it’s not just stupid douchebags who have been kept safe from general illnesses the last couple of years that are now all “Errr mah gerrrrrrddddd… Sniffles are the worst. Like, OMG. Right?”
Like the same pansys who call in sick "cus they have a migraine" and when you quiz them on it the symptoms are a mild headache.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Speaking with BIL in the UK gives some background to what is going to happen here.
They are sitting on about 40,000 active cases a day in the country.
He knows multiple people who have died as a result of contracting covid19, some with pre-existing conditions that would complicate the disease most without.
He has not spoken with anyone in the last 6 months who hasn't had covid (!).
He has not spoken with anyone in the last 6 months who hasn't lost a family member or close friend to covid.
He has had it twice (he is fully vaccinated and boostered), mostly mild but hospitalised on both occasions. Tested the first time to confirm delta strain, no testing the second to see if it was the same or a different strain or variant. The staff are too busy they will only genetic test if there is something different happening to the person, same old same old no point, apparently.
There are multiple new strains in circulation with increased contagiousness (word?) and effects, so far vaccines are doing ok with these...
UK are pretty much back to doing whatever the fuck they want; huge numbers in football stadiums, at the pub, no masks, no contact tracing etc.
UK population is between 2 and 3x Oz, living is closer so our numbers should be lower by proportion.

We are not ready for this...

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Speaking with BIL in the UK gives some background to what is going to happen here.
He knows multiple people who have died as a result of contracting covid19, some with pre-existing conditions that would complicate the disease most without.
He has not spoken with anyone in the last 6 months who hasn't lost a family member or close friend to covid.
He has had it twice (he is fully vaccinated and boostered), mostly mild but hospitalised on both occasions. Tested the first time to confirm delta strain, no testing the second to see if it was the same or a different strain or variant. The staff are too busy they will only genetic test if there is something different happening to the person, same old same old no point, apparently.
There are multiple new strains in circulation with increased contagiousness (word?) and effects, so far vaccines are doing ok with these...
UK are pretty much back to doing whatever the fuck they want; huge numbers in football stadiums, at the pub, no masks, no contact tracing etc.
UK population is between 2 and 3x Oz, living is closer so our numbers should be lower by proportion.

Yet most people are cool with this being the outcome here.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yet most people are cool with this being the outcome here.
yeah because they don't understand it. They cant make the connections because that has not been our lived experience in this country. The news stories and media reporting don't make any pennies drop because lets face it, many people dont even keep up to date with events.

Once it starts looking like this here, people will be complaining about why the govt opened up and let it spread.

CHEWY

Eats Squid

UK Vaccination rate 67-68%%

Aus heading for 90% +

I'm hopeful...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Do you have to be really ill with covid to get long term effects? That is a question pertinent to all of us but more so the under 12s and those who cannot vaccinate.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Do you have to be really ill with covid to get long term effects? That is a question pertinent to all of us but more so the under 12s and those who cannot vaccinate.
Not sure if its relevant, but my partner wasnt all that sick with Parvo a decade ago but that set off the "long" effects for years. She is terrified of getting covid because she knows it will trigger the chronic fatigue off again, even if its only setting off the Parvo (you never get rid of it, it takes up permanent residence in your bone marrow).

Its another one of those "it depends" and YMMV things. Its inevitable though everyone will get it eventually. At least maybe chronic fatigue will lose some of the stigma its had.

PJO

in me vL comy

In the UK it seems that it is the younger age groups that are the biggest proportion infected in the UK third wave, and these are the age groups that have lower vax rates.
If Aus can get vaccination up, it may not be quite as bad here. Yes there will be some who will be affected at any age and there will be some who will get it multiple times, but I don't think that will be the outcome for the majority.
If the figures out of NSW are any indication vax rates are having a substantial effect.

EDIT: I know there is no vaccine available for under 12s, hopefully we can slow down the circulating rates in other age groups and try to keep it out of the younguns.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
View attachment 382262

Aus heading for 90% +

I'm hopeful...
Is that UK rate Total Population or just eligible?

Aus is only 62.5 double vaxxed by total population.

VACCINATIONS
Doses by Age Band First / Second
STATE0+0+12+12+%nbsp
NSW78.8%72.2%92.6%84.8%
Victoria77.4%64.9%90.6%76.1%
Queensland63.3%50.9%74.8%60.1%
WA63.5%49.5%75.2%58.6%
SA67.6%53.3%78.6%61.9%
ACT83.5%75.6%99.0%89.6%
Tasmania74.4%60.8%86.3%70.5%
NT61.0%49.9%73.7%60.3%
Australia73.5%62.5%86.4%73.4%
Vaccinations by State or Territory of residence
VACCINATIONS
Doses by Age Band First / Second
STATE16+16+70+70+
NSW93.4%86.5%>95%94.2%
Victoria91.3%77.8%95.0%88.5%
Queensland76.6%62.4%95.0%85.0%
WA77.5%61.4%95.0%82.3%
SA80.5%64.5%95.0%82.8%
ACT>95%90.6%>95%95.0%
Tasmania88.1%73.6%95.0%86.8%
NT75.2%62.4%87.8%77.4%
Australia87.6%75.5%95.0%89.3%
Vaccinations by State or Territory of residence

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
View attachment 382262

Aus heading for 90% +

I'm hopeful...
Pretty sure UK bases their figures on total population. Our figures look better than they are as we calculate on 16+ which is for marketing, particularly now that 11+ are eligible. I'm not sure what that equates to.on total population