COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thought Fox Creek shuttles were done by more than one operator - fox run and escape Goat come to mind?

Derby trail networks are on public land arent they?

Mystic looks like one operator only, blue dirt. But as far as I know mystic is on private land held by a plantation company.
Yes 2 operators so far at Fox.

At both Fox and Derby you can choose to do private shuttles of you want.

I read the whole Mystic bullshit story back when it happened, unsure if the access road was private or the logging company pulled the safety card, or someone pulled the safety card for them.
Anyhow... safety takes a back seat when you pay your private shuttle fee of $132 a day.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yes 2 operators so far at Fox.

At both Fox and Derby you can choose to do private shuttles of you want.

I read the whole Mystic bullshit story back when it happened, unsure if the access road was private or the logging company pulled the safety card, or someone pulled the safety card for them.
Anyhow... safety takes a back seat when you pay your private shuttle fee of $132 a day.
a lot goes into running an enterprise like that. I cant say definitively what those costs cover, but I'm in no doubt an actuary at some point will have done the maths for the risks posed by users of the park which will have informed insurance costs, maintenance etc. SO while im sure money is being made, i dont particularly begrudge a private enterprise for running how they do on private land.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
a lot goes into running an enterprise like that. I cant say definitively what those costs cover, but I'm in no doubt an actuary at some point will have done the maths for the risks posed by users of the park which will have informed insurance costs, maintenance etc. SO while im sure money is being made, i dont particularly begrudge a private enterprise for running how they do on private land.
If I was a potential shuttle operator, I would be asking for safeguards on my investment. 15-20 seater bus and shuttle trailer at ~100k, insurance and possibly a career change to run the company.

The Bright decision was the stupidest thing I ever heard. We would have shot over to bright for 5 nights, spent $1000 on a mediocre AirBnb and $200+ per day in Bright and surrounding towns on food, alcohol, coffee, snacks ect.. All for blocking us doing 2-3 Hero runs at the end of a busy day.

Dont get me wrong, Bright and surrounds are one of the most stunning places in whole country but we ride bikes and waterfalls, wombats and hikes can only amuse us for a short time :D

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
If I was a potential shuttle operator, I would be asking for safeguards on my investment. 15-20 seater bus and shuttle trailer at ~100k, insurance and possibly a career change to run the company.
Wouldn't any new business ?

As with most things in life, such a venture is undertaken at your own risk. I don't think anyone would guarantee you business success. You'd have to do that due diligence and work out the likelihood of success/failure.

I used to work for an advertising firm, and you'd not believe how many clients believed that advertising would translate to guaranteed business.

Something like blue dirt has the benefit of spreading risk across business locations and types (think they operate some accomodation too). If they have a bad season some place it's probably not the end of the world.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
so whats your solution to driving a competetive and profitable market for all participants where there just isnt a market for it?
Innovate or fail. Keeping a business a float (small or large) isn't the responsibility of the government + tax payer, and even more so at the expense of competition.

Mystic details...

https://www.mysticpark.org.au/about

"Mystic is responsible for funding its own operations, from road maintenance, event management, trail building machine works and staffing. Our independent and not-for-profit status ensures that revenue streams that come into the park, such as through the shuttle services and road access, go back into covering the costs of running the facility and the ongoing development of our trails for the future."

Jesus, how do you think i feel...?!
In need of a cuddle and a nap.

Switch

huskier headed gent
Visitation levels are so high in Bright that the economic loss from charging for shuttles will go basically unnoticed. Council actively discourage events on public holidays to spread visitation when they don't need to promote it.
The charge was more about limiting numbers using the road (reducing maintenance costs for the plantation owners) rather than any financial gain from it. The costs of enforcing the charges would quickly eat up the revenue earned. It's an unfortunate situation but if you look at the number of ebikes around Bright (myself included) the local market has just adapted. Similarly with running lifts at Falls or Hotham the advent of ebikes and shuttles will make it impossible for it ever to be financially viable to spin lifts during summer.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Innovate or fail. Keeping a business a float (small or large) isn't the responsibility of the government + tax payer, and even more so at the expense of competition.
The govt and tax payers just kept large and small Australian business afloat during the first 12 months of the pandemic. If they hadn't we'd arguably be much worse off today. I know it's not the same, but your statement was quite broad.

I agree with the sentiment that its not the responsibility of the govt, as it's also not their responsibility to generate demand to create a healthy environment for said competition. But "Innovate or fail" also isn't a solution to creating demand in a market that has a objectively small population that can be serviced by the existing infrastructure/services. That just has the potential to replace one business with another. Thats puts that argument back to square one. It's a lift to the top of a mountain, there's not much to innovate. Short of teleportation or helidrops all day for 100bucks, I can't see innovating that service in a meaningfull way that will attract new business or more business from the same cohort.

I mean if you want to try it and compete with some other dude with a van, I agree there shouldn't be govt roadblocks if it's on public land like a nationL park etc, but I also don't think there is benefit to letting services fail. I don't believe that if an application for a permit to run a service on public land showed social and financial benefits to local business and council with zero downside (and this is key - as such additional service could be a detriment to the surrounds in a number of ways), that it would be denied. If it did then there are several questions that should be answered and relationships looked into to ensure corruption wasn't at the root of said decision.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The govt and tax payers just kept large and small Australian business afloat during the first 12 months of the pandemic. If they hadn't we'd arguably be much worse off today. I know it's not the same, but your statement was quite broad.

I agree with the sentiment that its not the responsibility of the govt, as it's also not their responsibility to generate demand to create a healthy environment for said competition. But "Innovate or fail" also isn't a solution to creating demand in a market that has a objectively small population that can be serviced by the existing infrastructure/services. That just has the potential to replace one business with another. Thats puts that argument back to square one. It's a lift to the top of a mountain, there's not much to innovate. Short of teleportation or helidrops all day for 100bucks, I can't see innovating that service in a meaningfull way that will attract new business or more business from the same cohort.

I mean if you want to try it and compete with some other dude with a van, I agree there shouldn't be govt roadblocks if it's on public land like a nationL park etc, but I also don't think there is benefit to letting services fail. I don't believe that if an application for a permit to run a service on public land showed social and financial benefits to local business and council with zero downside (and this is key - as such additional service could be a detriment to the surrounds in a number of ways), that it would be denied. If it did then there are several questions that should be answered and relationships looked into to ensure corruption wasn't at the root of said decision.
Statement was abroad as you want it to be. I believe in Victoria that is called a behind? You know...where you miss the mark, but get a point for having a crack at it.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Similarly with running lifts at Falls or Hotham the advent of ebikes and shuttles will make it impossible for it ever to be financially viable to spin lifts during summer.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it seems dumb to me that this is true.

Just don't understand how running multiple buses can cost less than a chairlift. Similar number of personnel required but 1 electric motor vs multiple IC engines? Surely the extra run time doesn't make any difference to the yearly maintenance costs and it's the snow crew being dicks about it.

Maybe they could hit up the gov to subsidize the cost of running a chair for the eco benefits over using IC vehicles.

I miss riding the horse hill chair...

Switch

huskier headed gent
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it seems dumb to me that this is true.

Just don't understand how running multiple buses can cost less than a chairlift. Similar number of personnel required but 1 electric motor vs multiple IC engines? Surely the extra run time doesn't make any difference to the yearly maintenance costs and it's the snow crew being dicks about it.

Maybe they could hit up the gov to subsidize the cost of running a chair for the eco benefits over using IC vehicles.

I miss riding the horse hill chair...
You have to remember the Ski Companies don't own the land so there are leasing costs, trail construction and maintenance, insurance, wages for both lift operators, maintenance staff, ticket sales, admin, Patrol, HR, increased yearly lift maintenance and engineering costs, OHS etc. that go with a large organisation versus a small business that runs a couple of busses.
Add to that the fact that new riding destinations open up and become favour of the month and it becomes very hard to make the business case stack up for running lifts.
I would love for it not to be the case as I would have a DH bike back in the stable straight away. Falls is about the only resort likely to open lifts for even a short time given the amount of effort RMB have put into trail construction.
Reality is the population of Australia is too small to support the market demand to make it financially viable.