COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
They've lured us back in with free parking - all the reserved parks for managers are a free for all while we are only getting 10-20% of people coming in. I dont mind going a few days a week for a change of scenery, and will try to get back to the Canberra office regularly after the Hobart move. Certainly not anti office, but very much pro working from home :)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
There is a whole industry built around the office worker that has massive impacts (food - transport -clothing etc) also don’t discount the mental health if a lot of people getting that social interaction with real live people on a daily basis.
I'm back in full time, mainly because Mrs works across the road now in an onsite role.

My business unit in Canberra went to hot desking 3 years ago, as an experiment, the organisation had done open plan but not hot desks. It's going to be the way forward for our return to site for those who can work from home, with potential to cut office space down by a pretty large chunk.

None of the usual fears (only crappy desk left if you get in late, noise, packing up and down into a locker) are applicable when there are only 5 people in a space that takes 50.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
In this climate, it should be the choice of the employee, not the government or the employer.
Yes, we are being given this choice where applicable (obviously you can't do PC2 lab work at home) and I think it is a good thing. We are being encouraged to go hybrid but ultimately if people don't want to come back they don't have to.

I run a team of 10, 4 of them came back onsite (Canb and Melb) for a day per week or fortnight pre Delta (mainly just to see each other in person, they were in the office on the weekly team meeting day) and the rest stayed at home because it doesn't noticably affect their productivity.

slowmick

38-39"
Have a few a couple of friends who have managed to keep their retail businesses open over the lockdowns but are now fighting the landlord for a fair rent increase to keep the doors open. Some of the proposed increases year in year are nuts. Or it's time to move to one of the many empty businesses.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Soooo. I went to a quote yesterday and the couple that answered the door made it very clear they were not going to be wearing a mask even though we would be standing around in their small office for a fair while.
ahhh. Ok. the couple seemed nice enough but all the ‘are these people wacko antivaxxers?’ thoughts were running through my head the whole time. Can’t really just ask. Or can you? The job is a gimme. They really want me to do the work and I loaded it up so it’s pretty damn good money. But just don’t know if I can do it. Or is this the way the world works now? Do I just need to get used the new normal?
I herd an ‘anti vaxxer’ referring to us as the ‘vaxxers’ Sounds like something out of a sci fi film.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Soooo. I went to a quote yesterday and the couple that answered the door made it very clear they were not going to be wearing a mask even though we would be standing around in their small office for a fair while.
ahhh. Ok. the couple seemed nice enough but all the ‘are these people wacko antivaxxers?’ thoughts were running through my head the whole time. Can’t really just ask. Or can you? The job is a gimme. They really want me to do the work and I loaded it up so it’s pretty damn good money. But just don’t know if I can do it. Or is this the way the world works now? Do I just need to get used the new normal?
I herd an ‘anti vaxxer’ referring to us as the ‘vaxxers’ Sounds like something out of a sci fi film.
Bring in some random chunks of timber and a buzz-saw and start spraying dust everywhere. That outta clear them out of the workspace for a bit... :p

But yeah, it's pretty odd. It makes me laugh how they're not scared of a contagious virus, but trear vaccinated people like they're contagious (somehow...).

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Full PPE respirator mask, even though you don't need it, would be a laughing on the inside moment. Tell them that they should wear masks too due to the possibility of dust or whatever (guessing it is building work).

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Full PPE respirator mask, even though you don't need it, would be a laughing on the inside moment. Tell them that they should wear masks too due to the possibility of dust or whatever (guessing it is building work).
Make sure some of the timber is treated pine and keep talking about all the cyanide in it too. :p

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Sound like the sort of people you see in shops without masks aggressively looking at anyone near them to "challenge" them on their choice. Nice to see you're adding a dickhead tax to their quote.

Have seen online of someone referring to unvaccinated people as "purebloods" which.... yeah.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yes, we are being given this choice where applicable (obviously you can't do PC2 lab work at home) and I think it is a good thing. We are being encouraged to go hybrid but ultimately if people don't want to come back they don't have to.

I run a team of 10, 4 of them came back onsite (Canb and Melb) for a day per week or fortnight pre Delta (mainly just to see each other in person, they were in the office on the weekly team meeting day) and the rest stayed at home because it doesn't noticably affect their productivity.
sadly my offices direction is being lead from the top down, no room for negotiation. Unles sthe govt gives us the choice or specifies we whould work from home. we will be "encouraged" to come back full time. "encouraged" = "do what you're told".

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
They've lured us back in with free parking - all the reserved parks for managers are a free for all while we are only getting 10-20% of people coming in. I dont mind going a few days a week for a change of scenery, and will try to get back to the Canberra office regularly after the Hobart move. Certainly not anti office, but very much pro working from home :)
It is great being fully remote for me anyhow. My last office job was almost 10 years ago and I was a contractor and not worthy of a desk with my name on it anyhow.

My bosses haven't been in Australia either.

You still need to get out for customer visits but I would struggle having a job where I need to hold up a desk in the city again.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Bring in some random chunks of timber and a buzz-saw and start spraying dust everywhere. That outta clear them out of the workspace for a bit... :p

But yeah, it's pretty odd. It makes me laugh how they're not scared of a contagious virus, but trear vaccinated people like they're contagious (somehow...).
I’ve been asked twice now if I’m fully vaxxed. I feel it’s only fair to return the favour. I have little tolerance for people at the best of times let alone nut jobs so I’ll send off an email later saying it’s my company policy(I have policies??) that all customers need to be fully vaxxed and could they please forward me their certificates and see what happens. :D

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Don't these people have jobs to go to? Oh wait...
Lol. Was a weekend though.