Cracked frame or scratch?

stevexg

Likes Bikes
Picked up my bike/ new frame a few days ago. Same 15/16 'Team' frame as the previous one. Guess it's only a matter of time before this one goes? Time will tell.....
I guess the other question is, has anyone got a 27.5 100mm carbon Anthem that has lasted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Final chapter...

4th frame cracked at the Interwinter round at Andys a few weeks back (yes, left me absolutely speachless how can a bike made for xc racing crack at what id call the easiest and smoothest xc trail in Vic (ok, well smoothest ive ever ridden anyways).

My local bike shop credited me the original sale price and ive purchased a new bike from a different manufacturer.

THE END!

Travis.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That's a solid outcome!

I'd take some positives from that. Ie. you got to hire a bike for an extended period of time effectively for free ;-)

The real important part is what you bought, do tell...

(and did you learn any lessons about frame materials?)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Final chapter...

4th frame cracked at the Interwinter round at Andys a few weeks back (yes, left me absolutely speachless how can a bike made for xc racing crack at what id call the easiest and smoothest xc trail in Vic (ok, well smoothest ive ever ridden anyways).

My local bike shop credited me the original sale price and ive purchased a new bike from a different manufacturer.

THE END!

Travis.
Praise JEEEZZZUS, FREE (to buy a decent bike) AT LAST!! What did you get to replace that POS?

success-kid-4th-cracked-giant-anthem-frame-finally-gets-full-refund.jpg

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Not quite a 'refund' and the process certainly wasnt all roses either. Just a shit situation for everyone involved and at the end of the day id have probably preferred if my original bike had just done what it was made to do then i could have just sold it in a couple more years and upgraded when i was ready.

Absolutely nothing against my LBS and the guys have always looked after me so i was ok with a store credit however that left me with pretty much no choice for a new bike. Another Giant or a Rocky. Hasnt been any new bike shopping 'joy' etc but the new bike makes the Anthem feel a whole whole lot less impressive then i ever thought they were (but honestly highly unlikely id have bought this bike if i just had the money and could have gotten anything i wanted).

Im sure as i get to know it more ill hopefully forget about the whole mess that bought us together! Bought the BC Edition Thunderbolt.

Travis.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Glad it is sorted. The bigger question is how so many cracked without much effort from you.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Not quite a 'refund' and the process certainly wasnt all roses either. Just a shit situation for everyone involved and at the end of the day id have probably preferred if my original bike had just done what it was made to do then i could have just sold it in a couple more years and upgraded when i was ready.

Absolutely nothing against my LBS and the guys have always looked after me so i was ok with a store credit however that left me with pretty much no choice for a new bike. Another Giant or a Rocky. Hasnt been any new bike shopping 'joy' etc but the new bike makes the Anthem feel a whole whole lot less impressive then i ever thought they were (but honestly highly unlikely id have bought this bike if i just had the money and could have gotten anything i wanted).

Im sure as i get to know it more ill hopefully forget about the whole mess that bought us together! Bought the BC Edition Thunderbolt.

Travis.
BC Edition Thunderbolt looks like a good bike Travis, hope it puts a smile back on your face :thumb::thumb:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bumping this up, my '17 anthem has grown a small crack in top of top tube during the last ride. I didnt notice anything mid ride.

I'd love to say it happened from me riding it hard but daisy hill groomed trails suggest otherwise. I'm not stressed, but we'll see what happens.

IMG_20180609_094740.jpg
IMG_20180609_094805.jpg

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Bumping this up, my '17 anthem has grown a small crack in top of top tube during the last ride. I didnt notice anything mid ride.

I'd love to say it happened from me riding it hard but daisy hill groomed trails suggest otherwise. I'm not stressed, but we'll see what happens.
Worth investigating since it is on the bend of the top tube.

Maybe get a bit more handy with the black duct tape and cover it up to the seat tube.

Seeing what happens, well, might not be what you really want.

Groomed trails must be getting more 3xtr33m3 up north :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rdrr. It's pretty tough but the tape just keeps the ISI rack from marking it. Might be a waste of time in the end. I've marked the ends and will see if it grows with a ride tomorrow.

SkiTz-

Likes Bikes

View attachment 345272 View attachment 345273

Ouch, Those tracks at daisy must be nasty because I've just found a similar looking crack in the top tube of my 2018 Trance Adv 1 after a ride there this morning.

Attachments

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
My Trance is cracked too. Not bad after being ridden hard for 18 months. New frame this week have found the warranty process totally painless but I guess the bonus is I haven't left it at the shop and kept riding. Turnaround from rep seeing it to new frame is 2 weeks.

I have only owned 2 bikes I haven't cracked or bent in 26 years of mtb.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ouch, Those tracks at daisy must be nasty because I've just found a similar looking crack in the top tube of my 2018 Trance Adv 1 after a ride there this morning.
That's weirdly the same spot. Nice work!

My Trance is cracked too. Not bad after being ridden hard for 18 months. New frame this week have found the warranty process totally painless but I guess the bonus is I haven't left it at the shop and kept riding. Turnaround from rep seeing it to new frame is 2 weeks.

I have only owned 2 bikes I haven't cracked or bent in 26 years of mtb.
Bugger, at least the turnaround was quick and bike has been refreshed.

No time in the shop, did you elect to rebuild it yourself?