Cracked frame or scratch?

MARKL

Eats Squid
Lighter-coloured paints are less flexible than darker colours; they require more filler & pigmenting to get the necessary density. As I said, I've cut through that area of a returned frame and found no indication of deep damage; it's quite a thick section of tube with a complex layup, so each layer reinforces the others.
So why does the paint crack if there isn't an underlying issue?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The duck may have a different answer to me but...the carbon flexes. It has give in it that is different to metal. You get the same thing with fishing rods. I loaded up at $1500 jigging rod (FYI - very expensive rod made for very abusive fishing) with a lot of weight in a shop a while back and holy shit did it make some noises! I thought it was about to ping...the shoppie assured me it was just the carbon layers moving around. Often after a bit of use you'll see cracks etc appearing in the clear coats on them as well where it isn't as flexible as the rod material (eg carbon).

But this is a crack. The only answer is to get your blow torch and a bunch of old vhs cassettes you don't need anymore. You know...the stretched ones. Heat frame with blow torch, melt vhs (tape and body) into the crack. Allow it to set over night and you're good to go.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Lighter-coloured paints are less flexible than darker colours; they require more filler & pigmenting to get the necessary density. As I said, I've cut through that area of a returned frame and found no indication of deep damage; it's quite a thick section of tube with a complex layup, so each layer reinforces the others.
Because the paint is a lot more brittle than the the substrate and doesn't need a great deal of movement to cause it to crack.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would say paint crack... Carbon generally doesn't crack like that, at least not that I have seen! I would tap the area with a 2 buck coin, if the sound changes over the area of the crack to a more dull tapping there is more sinister issues below the paint work. :noidea:
As duck has suggested cracking in paint is usually caused by the two different materials flexing a different rates - look at almost any plastic car body parts that have aged a bit and you will see similar cracking.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I would say paint crack... look at almost any plastic car body parts that have aged a bit and you will see similar cracking.
So I have a car with plastic guards that deform when you push them, light colour, 7 years old spends most of its time in the sun. It hasn't cracked way more flexible etc than any carbon mountain bike component. I find it struggle to believe the paint would be that brittle, and if that is the case why don't they use a better paint?

Alternatively how is there any paint left on the rear triangle of an Orbea Alma where the carbon is designed to flex in the rear triangle? Plenty of them getting around in light colours and they are old now.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I have a car with plastic guards that deform when you push them, light colour, 7 years old spends most of its time in the sun. It hasn't cracked way more flexible etc than any carbon mountain bike component. I find it struggle to believe the paint would be that brittle, and if that is the case why don't they use a better paint?

Alternatively how is there any paint left on the rear triangle of an Orbea Alma where the carbon is designed to flex in the rear triangle? Plenty of them getting around in light colours and they are old now.
Colour may be impregnated in your fantastic plastic. Maybe we should anodised carbon?

MARKL

Eats Squid
Colour may be impregnated in your fantastic plastic. Maybe we should anodised carbon?
No, they are sprayed fantastic can't be matched super duper pearly colour, looks pretty (not telling you what it is cause we will end up driving the same car). Still reckon the 'paint the is brittle' argument is flawed

stirk

Burner
~I find it struggle to believe the paint would be that brittle, and if that is the case why don't they use a better paint?

Maybe Giants normal painter was on holiday and they had to use the painter that Trek uses.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok wasn't the greatest example, but it does happen.

ccrp_0807_01_z+car_paint_job_restoration+small_crack.jpg

D01

Likes Dirt
No, they are sprayed fantastic can't be matched super duper pearly colour, looks pretty (not telling you what it is cause we will end up driving the same car). Still reckon the 'paint the is brittle' argument is flawed
There's usually several layers of clear coat over the carbon before the colour top coat, it's much thicker than the paint on a car.

It's all these layers together that make it more brittle than if it were only the one or two coats of paint.

damo666

Likes Dirt
Car bumpers etc usually have a 'paint plasticiser' added with affords a bit of extra flexibility

scblack

Leucocholic
The duck may have a different answer to me but...the carbon flexes. It has give in it that is different to metal. You get the same thing with fishing rods. I loaded up at $1500 jigging rod (FYI - very expensive rod made for very abusive fishing) with a lot of weight in a shop a while back and holy shit did it make some noises! I thought it was about to ping...the shoppie assured me it was just the carbon layers moving around. Often after a bit of use you'll see cracks etc appearing in the clear coats on them as well where it isn't as flexible as the rod material (eg carbon).

But this is a crack. The only answer is to get your blow torch and a bunch of old vhs cassettes you don't need anymore. You know...the stretched ones. Heat frame with blow torch, melt vhs (tape and body) into the crack. Allow it to set over night and you're good to go.
For this application beta tapes would be more suitable. Just sayin'.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For this application beta tapes would be more suitable. Just sayin'.
No one has old beta tapes, but there are lots of VHS tapes in a box in the back of cupboards. For the same reason beta tapes never took off...

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Just had another passing look at the area before while in the garage and just noticed this on the other side (non drive side)...

Guess it certainly points to things not right.

Travis.
Well that does not look good. Will you still ride on Sunday? Got my entry in and really enjoyed this track last year. Hopeful rain just makes the course nice and grippy..

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Not sure Art, im pretty pissed off now. I guess i hoped it was just a scratch but the signs around the pivot have convinced me its more serious.

Been out and done a few more laps at Lysty and it feels ok, maybe a bit softer in the rear but that might be in my head now tho ive only just started riding this bike again after riding my old hardtail over winter and getting back onto this thing felt 'extra squishy'.

My backs gone to crap again so i cannot handle the hardtail atm, specially not for a 6hr race so im really on the fence, and after Blores hill ive had my fix of mud for the year ;)

Ive never ridden at Andys before, i vaguely recal it was pretty muddy for the interwinter round? Is it likely to turn to mush again?

Travis.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Well that does not look good. Will you still ride on Sunday? Got my entry in and really enjoyed this track last year. Hopeful rain just makes the course nice and grippy..
The track will be as wet as fuck. It was bad on saturday and we've had 15mm already today. It doesn't drain like the epic course.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Don't worry about it Travis, it won't be a problem for the race.

If it were actually softer in the rear due to cracks, they would be MUCH more noticeable than those on your bike.