cyclocross

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive been thinking of building a a cyclocross bike for a while as a bit of do - everything bike, and to take overseas and do some touring.
I really dont want to spend a whole lot and in my search have found the Soma double cross for $350 US which is a bloody bargain, pair that with a alpha q or ec90 cross fork and ill be set.
Now is there a soma dealer in Aus ? or would it have to be an OS purchase ?
Ive got enough parts to build it - DA 10, roulleur carbon compact cranks/DT240s wheelset or ksyrium sl's/ masterpiece and aliante/ os115 and RD200 bars, All I need is brakes and a ck headset.
what do you think, sound like a goer ?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Ive been thinking of building a a cyclocross bike for a while as a bit of do - everything bike, and to take overseas and do some touring.
I really dont want to spend a whole lot and in my search have found the Soma double cross for $350 US which is a bloody bargain, pair that with a alpha q or ec90 cross fork and ill be set.
Now is there a soma dealer in Aus ? or would it have to be an OS purchase ?
Ive got enough parts to build it - DA 10, roulleur carbon compact cranks/DT240s wheelset or ksyrium sl's/ masterpiece and aliante/ os115 and RD200 bars, All I need is brakes and a ck headset.
what do you think, sound like a goer ?
One of the local guys up here races 'cross on his soma, plus commuting duties etc... a bit heavy, apparently the paint is not great. Basically kinda looks nice new but you get what you pay for. Ray seems happy with it though so *Shrug*

Dunno about local distributor, but I know CBD cycles in sydney gets 'em in. I think they even had one on the floor.

The other option is a Surly Cross Check which alchemist has raced 'cross on (and the fling, and downhill, and... ) and can be had for $1500 or there abouts complete. I like the current frame colour too (a greyish white...)

Voodoo importer is bringing in wazoo's.... and van dessel now has an importer (they have a "low end" crosser frame below the G&T)

probably lots of others... but they're the ones I've looked at (Kona Jakes are definately landing, and maybe cannondale/speccy crossers are available?)

HTH

Cheers
Gonz

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
SCV do Soma, the double cross is in their catalogue although no price is listed.

I'd take a punt and say its going to be around the 650 - 750 mark going on the other frame prices. purely a guess.

On the crosser subject, I've just ordered a couple of these bad boys for the shop

WOOT! Cross rules!

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Sounds cool.

I'm building one too, for the hell of it. I'd like to race it but there is basically no CX racing in melbourne. I'm going to be using it for recreational riding on my normal XC trails, or for some fun on fireroads whilst camping etc...

I'm going as cheap as possible without being crap. Therefore vintage and singlespeed (with an option to add gears later if nescessary).

I just today bought the frame. A 1980 vintage lugged steel european thing. Ishiwata 022 CrMo tubing. I just need to get pedals and handlebars. I plan to use and old 105 cassette hub wheelset, heavy duty, 36 spokes. Bullhorn time trial bars with Syntace space control brake levers. Suntour xc pro canti brakes. Suntour superbe pro cranks. Some seatpost. That about covers it.

frame:

It's basically the offroad version of my commuter setup.

Have you seen this frame?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sycip-crossd...yZ157615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was tempted but wasn't so keen on the track fork ends, I prefer horizontal dropouts for this application - better for brake adjustment, and the option to run gears one day. And to be honest the Ishiwata Crmo will ride almost as nice for a fraction of the cost. :D

For new frame options there's also surly crosscheck, the lemond propads look nice.

Last edited:

craigb

Likes Dirt
on-one ilpompino need i say more. unsure on the $$ but im sure you can get a complete pompy at a good price with on-one hubs etc and they are a quality frame and nice paint job. I raced mine at the rosewhite 12hr and it was pretty fast even over the rough stuff. im even looking at hanging up the salsa s/s and just racing the cx bike from now on at the xc events

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
on-one ilpompino need i say more. unsure on the $$ but im sure you can get a complete pompy at a good price with on-one hubs etc and they are a quality frame and nice paint job. I raced mine at the rosewhite 12hr and it was pretty fast even over the rough stuff. im even looking at hanging up the salsa s/s and just racing the cx bike from now on at the xc events
If you were the same guy who passed me on the SS CX up there, i'd say it seemed to be working for you!

craigb

Likes Dirt
i was the only cx rider up there. it was an awesome track for the cross bike. on another nore keep an eye on e bay as ive seen a couple of cx bikes for sale on there

craigb

Likes Dirt
HAhaha betta get in line ive had a few offers. if it get's hung up itll be a show piece definatly not for sale especialy with the bits thats are on it

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory the Double Cross is pretty long in the top tube for a crosser. I suggest looking at a Voodoo Wazoo - the 08 frames also come with sliding rear drop outs so you convert to SS if/when you desire.

I've done a few laps here and there at enduros on mine, I rate them ( crossers in general that is), the only problem is remembering that they're not quite as tough as a mtb.

Although they do jump well...

(Just fixied mine in preparation for the Urban Polaris - nice)

Fusion

Likes Dirt
I took my fixie out for some sweet sweet singletrack action (sorta) at Westgate Park yesterday. I got shat on by the weather but had a ball. I reckon Cyclocross would and could be a lot of fun in Melbourne. Perhaps we should gather a group of interested riders together and sort something out seeing as there appears to be sweet f a at the moment.

I for one would be keen...

ducan

Likes Dirt
Im soo moving to melbourne... So many cyclists there plus sounds like heaps of places to ride !

jean5614

Likes Dirt
If you're after a lot of riders and places to ride, you might consider Canberra first, but read what the Canberra knockers have to say first, and then you'll realise I have a point.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're after a lot of riders and places to ride, you might consider Canberra first, but read what the Canberra knockers have to say first, and then you'll realise I have a point.
Spoken by jean5614
Written and authorised by Mr. R Baker, Canberra ;)