cyclocross

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Oh I love you guys- the cyclocross thread is my new spiritual home and your so much more logical than the dirt jumpers. I think we can be besties.

Thanks for the motivation. Nothin like seeing grown men pushing their bikes up a hill.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Oh I love you guys- the cyclocross thread is my new spiritual home and your so much more logical than the dirt jumpers. I think we can be besties.

Thanks for the motivation. Nothin like seeing grown men pushing their bikes up a hill.
You just want to be as demonstrably mad as us (though I'll admit you do have form).

I have a pair of Woodchippers just dying to go on the gravel grinder commuter resto project but I can see the cross bike hanging on the wall seething. The XC 29er however is taking it all in its stride. The other 29er with its blown Recon is simply sulking.

I would steal Hool's bike if I thought I could ride it home...it is that good.

struggles

Likes Dirt
Some great looking bikes in the last few posts.

We recently started a bit of a Gravel Grinder club in Nowra.

First ride was 70kms with only about 15kms of sealed road.

silentbutdeadly

There's a few dudes there with rock breaking form [he says rubbing his own ample girth] :thumb:

Can't wait till the Fat Bikers and Gravel Grinders have a meeting of minds...Fat Cross anyone? Brings to mind an old Regurgitator song...:mod:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
One of the guys on the ride has a Fat bike and one that couldn't make it has one. I am getting a Fat Bike soon. And have had a beard for the past 7 years :)

And I own a fixie..............
well good for you- beards- who gives a shit.

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since everyone is posting their bikes.. This is mine. It has replaced my roadie and commuter and has seen a few races as well in the past few months. By far and away the best road oriented bike I've owned. Even feels more responsive than my old carbon road bike.

Soma double cross w/ surly fork, running dura ace with campy cranks and cx70 brakes and mavic ksyrium wheels.

Doing the kiwi brevet in a few months. So 45c tires, trp hyrd and some hope pro2/wtb Chris cross rims are going on.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

stinky 510

Likes Dirt
I just bought me a Norco Threshold A1 and am quite enjoying riding it. (it is a little harder on the body than my 120mm dually)
Just wondering have many people converted their CX bike to tubeless, have had a few flats already.

silentbutdeadly

Haven't tried tubeless on the CX because it'd be a ghetto setup on Fulcrum CX wheels with aero rims. So I'd probably have to get valve extenders which'd just add to the palaver...

So my RR's on the CX are held up by tubes filled with latex and glitter. Works so far...

If I was serious about CX then I'd probably go tubular rather than tubeless...so that'll never happen!!

crosser

Likes Dirt
This is a good guide to tubelessness and CX, with a list of tires that have worked:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/going-tubeless-cyclocross-tires-racing-recommendations

I run Stans 29er rims, so set up was easy and I can run low pressures without burping. I think going tubeless is one of the best things one can do to get the most out of a 'cross bike. Tubulars are nicer to ride, but tubeless isn't much different and you are less likely to find yourself walking 10km home the next time a nasty chunk of sandstone decides to take a bite out of your tire...

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
CX is definitely not XC ... Only my 3rd ride but not currently liking mildly tight 180s or any corner really. I know with practice and confidence this will come, but lots of nervous giggles at present. descending is pucker factor x10 on anything I'd eat with an MTB of any type including a dj ... Skinny tires, no side knobs, fully rigid, fracking way too far forward, pretty much locked into position ... Bloody love it!

everything I want in a roadie as well ... Nice responsive braking, quick but not stellar acceleration, easy to keep a cadence ... Every effort is rewarded.

One thing I'm definitely surprised about is how fracking hard it is to dismount at a run or even in any semblance of grace ... I'm liking this shizzle

silentbutdeadly

Others might laugh but when you nail CX ( in your own mind) it'll make you a better XC rider. Especially if you try not to dismount!

Gripo

Eats Squid
Any of you CX lovers come across 650b (27.5") sized knobby tyres in the 30-45mm width range....

Would love something similar to Schwalbe Smart Sams or Maxxis Locust in 650b...