Dartmoor Wish: PRICING OUT pg 12/

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
2012 RELEASE:

available in complete and will be coming in 3 colours for frame only.

Pricing isn't fair away.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/180169/

Singletrack Appetiser:
http://vimeo.com/20911676

2011-12 DARTMOOR wish FR bike

Latest Update

So I had a very gentle run yesterday, after a rather large crash on Saturday after casing the creek gap on Psycho-t's new hardtail. Was good to be on a bike again after so long though.

build stage:
riding v1, v2 in production currently.
due finish date: currently in factory creating pre-production prototype.

So changes to happen, and it's nice to have a company that listens to those involved, the guys at Dartmoor are really trying to bring a range of products that the market wants, and always testing gear.

• Seat post will be changed to 31.6mm from the 27.2mm. edit: has added aggressive look to it.
  • longer seat tube, new gusset between seat tube and top tube. edit: added, looks neat.
  • Refined guide mounts, more weight reduction.
  • change of graphics for 2012, no more orange version.
  • Link to be slightly changed, and more machined.
  • One piece pivot and BB piece now.
  • Cable routing has been changed the down tube.

Previous Information

edit: 28/12/10

Early impression feedback on v 1.0

Trail type: All mountain, with sections of jumps.

steepness: low, few climbs, few steeper rocky parts.

Trip time:
3hrs pedaling.

Comments: Took it out for another spin, first thing that is noticeable is the short top tube and the low seat tube, this made for some work pedaling it to the location/uphill as it was out of the saddle. On the upside with the compression switch on the shock, it held grip much better than my old frame (same shock) /bikes and pedaled pretty well.

Flicking the switch on the compression found the bike to slacken out and become more enjoyable. The trail starts as some long quick flowing sprints with a few rocks/trees to dodge and tight corners, into a few drainage crossing thats chopped out, after this I hit up some extremely rocky 4wd track that normally gets the arms going and most bikes skipping and abit a flex show, this comes down into a beautiful jump that you can throw it out and corner as you land into a quick sweeping off camber left you jump into, then a drop, jump into a carving right berm/old river bed into a few nice kickers. Following this is a pedal/take it easy section onto a nice ledge that is great for pumping the bike and picking the right line finished off by a nice loose sandy shoot. Rinse and repeat.

Performance: I was very surprised at how stiff the rear was with a 135 x 10 rear end, I was expecting it to be more over the place through the rocks and when whipping it into the corner like my others had been.

EXTREMELY predictable, I've not ridden something that's been so predictable in it's handling tendencies, this was a bit unusual for me honestly. It didn't dance, skip or duck out on me, even in the sand it didn't get all kenda surprise like. The steep technical mid pace stuff was a treat to ride, my weight was able to be central and really focus on my line and not having to sit on the back wheel or stop the front washing out.

• The BB height I feel is spot on, I had no pedal bashing issues, nor did I feel like my COG was out of place.
  • Chain stay length is ideal.
  • Top tube is too short for an all round bike, as is the seat tube being too low.

With the 160mm fork it feels like something you'd rip freely on a dual slalom track/an Aline style track whipping it every which way or cruise then into the Whistler bone yard, throw down a stack of tricks and feel completely comfortable. Feel it's still got a slope style nature to it. The Geometry here though did feel great for a Super-D bike if the TT/ST were larger.

A 180mm fork would really bring it's downhill abilities to light, parred with a longer top tube and higher seat tube this should be a deadly ride for a majority of Aussie tracks for those who want to ride more downhill but still come back around.

Dependent on Nathans feedback, I may ask for the HA to be slackened half or quarter a degree.

NEW update from test rider: FEB 2011

how is the paint holding up?
The orange paint is holding up great! No chips or flaking/fading since I've had it and It's had a few washes and been doused in mud. The rear triangles black paint is holding up too. Just the normally chipping on the chainstay. I should put something on it to reduce noise too….

The bikes more than capable of hitting up the downhill track though! As long as you're aggressive with it and choose a line and stick with it, it ride just as well through the rough stuff as any downhill bike. It's when you pussy foot around that it really gets messy and doesn't reward you. I was really blown away with how it went in some more rutty/loose rock type terrain. Takes it better than my glory!

I've mostly been riding on our local DH/FR tracks and a couple of the step downs. You have to be aggressive with it, as in throw it in and commit to what you're riding, otherwise it gets sketchy. Doesn't have much tight cornering stability at speed, but I'd put that down to the shorter top tube. For the tracks I've been riding it on, they're relitively smooth, with medium amounts of rocks and tight higher speed corners and off cambers with loose rock. It's been riding those insane amount better than my glory, which had a similar suspension set up. Jumping wise. Just wow. I wouldn't want them to change the geo haha. This may come down to how I've got the suspension set, but I never get bucked and it's always predictable in the air. Takes landings super smooth. I haven't cased it yet haha. The short TT allow me to really dial in the taybs and just throw it around in the air, but realistically not everyone's going to be wanting to do that. But you've already said they were changing that so yeah.

Fearless Cycles Dartmoor Wish by Jason Stevens Photographyon Flickr

Last edited:

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks HEKTIC! Seems nice and simple for lots of fun. THe riding pics make it more tempting too.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
That looks HEKTIC! Seems nice and simple for lots of fun. THe riding pics make it more tempting too.
Yep, thats the aim, and if early price indications are anything to go by, the price is going to be a huge selling factor!

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks amazing Rick. These will be coming to Australia? Hope so looks like the perfect play bike!

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Looks amazing Rick. These will be coming to Australia? Hope so looks like the perfect play bike!
Definitely! I'll be on one myself. It should rip at places like Greenvalley when it's done or at you yangs MTB park or when you just want to ride abit of everything.

camtb

Likes Dirt
What are the forks on that proto :O
I've never seen them before (Either that or I have and just don't recognise them..)

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are the forks on that proto :O
I've never seen them before (Either that or I have and just don't recognise them..)
There Manitou forks, not sure what model though. Looks super dope, Dartmoor have some real solid gear in there lineup

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
oh yeah! the other Wish is coming to Australia for testing, so you guys will be seeing plenty of vids and photos of this bad boy.

oh guys by the way: those forks are RST storms..

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Ricko that bike looks HAWT!!!!!
Our Aussie one: going to be built up with some of my parts + some new 2011 Dartmoor goods which are one offs and a few bits of personal choice for the guy who can actually go big.

Last edited:

ermastupid

Likes Bikes
very very clean bike, thinking have one for it.,
do you have know the retail price would be?
cant wait to buy it... :p

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
very very clean bike, thinking have one for it.,
do you have know the retail price would be?
cant wait to buy it... :p
Cant confirm but based on Dartmoor's aggressive pricing, I'd like to see around $1500-$1800.

Can't wait to film this beast in action..
Looks so light and clean :D
It's on the way, with some other goodies! Got the spec list sorted, just a matter of waiting to get our action on, did nash tell you about the bikecheck plans, what are your thoughts man? I'll be coming down with the bike on the train when it's done.

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
Cant confirm but based on Dartmoor's aggressive pricing, I'd like to see around $1500-$1800.

It's on the way, with some other goodies! Got the spec list sorted, just a matter of waiting to get our action on, did nash tell you about the bikecheck plans, what are your thoughts man? I'll be coming down with the bike on the train when it's done.
Awsome :D
Yea nash told me about the location.. Would make for some sweet bike check shots, and give everyone the idea that its in Australia, sounds perfect really..
Got a few more bits and pieces for my camera too so all set to start filming man.. :D

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awsome :D
Yea nash told me about the location.. Would make for some sweet bike check shots, and give everyone the idea that its in Australia, sounds perfect really..
Got a few more bits and pieces for my camera too so all set to start filming man.. :D
Ive been informed I can tag along =P so I may, dunno, depends when I guess.