Debonair Air Spring Upgrade Compatibility List

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I'm just about to drop one of these into the Pike on the Spitty so will be interested to see how it goes. I've got the SD Components DVC on the Intense so it will be a good comparison.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I'm contemplating this on my '17 Lyrik.....so any reviews definitely appreciated.

Seems like a very cheap upgrade and can also change travel while at it....

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Made a huge difference in the initial stroke suppleness of my 2018 Revelation (35mm).
I had to up the pressure about 10 to 15psi and remove a token as, at the original air settings, it was too plush and was sitting in the middle stroke all the time but couldn't access the end stroke with the stock number of tokens.
Now setup 90% right (may drop a few psi) it has a much nicer initial stroke response and supportive mid stroke. Big improvement over the stock fork which has the classic rockshox stiction feel, even though it did have bath oil.
I'd probably go as far as to say it'd be a more significant improvement than a damper upgrade, especially on a value basis.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Currently this is the most bang for buck upgrade you can do on the above forks. I'm quite surprised its at this pricepoint considering its SRAM.

Would be interesting to see someone do a Debonair vs Luftkappe comparison on the same fork, but in reality probably 90% of riders won't be able to tell much of a difference (including myself) as they achieve a similar goal, but just through a different path.

quote from a user on pinkbike forum:
"The luftkappe gains its negative volume by expaning into the positive chamber. The debonair gains it through some reworking of the stanchion plug and a hollow shaft. So the luftkappe has a more progressive curve (i believe they say its simllar to two tokens). The luftkappe i think still has a stronger negative spring, no math to back that up but since the dome is now acting as the piston and there is no rod attached to the dome ther should be more area, pressure over area and all that. also the luftkappe tops out pnuematicslly, no top out bumper, probably part of having more force.

Both seem to have their pros and cons. I can say my debonair upgrade was really nice improvement for my 2018"

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm contemplating this on my '17 Lyrik.....so any reviews definitely appreciated.

Seems like a very cheap upgrade and can also change travel while at it....
Changed my 140 Pike to 150 when doing this upgrade. Definitely worth it noticeable small bump improvement, I'm pretty happy, FWIW I didn't really notice the 140-150mm change that much at all.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought a second-hand Yari for that express purpose. Still weighing up Debonair vs Push ACS3 upgrade, but leaning towards the latter to match the coil on the rear.

Has anyone ridden both the Charger 2 RC2 and RCT3 dampers?

It’s going on a big bike, 170mm F and R but despite that it’ll still get the occasional work out on some flatter stuff. The RCT3 probably better suits my riding in that respect as I prefer being able to firm it up a bit in ‘trail mode’. Is there any performance difference between the two aside from the additional tuning options of the RC2 and the trail/lockout of the RCT3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Assuming both the RC2 and RCT3 damper were set to the same adjustment and both had the same air spring ... they would both work identically.

As the RC2 can reach settings the RCT3 can't (for those who love to dial it in very specifically), "performance" will come down to more what you personally like.

goobags

Likes Dirt
quote from a user on pinkbike forum:
"The luftkappe gains its negative volume by expaning into the positive chamber. The debonair gains it through some reworking of the stanchion plug and a hollow shaft. So the luftkappe has a more progressive curve (i believe they say its simllar to two tokens). The luftkappe i think still has a stronger negative spring, no math to back that up but since the dome is now acting as the piston and there is no rod attached to the dome ther should be more area, pressure over area and all that. also the luftkappe tops out pnuematicslly, no top out bumper, probably part of having more force.
That’s an interesting pickup on the negative chamber force. I was actually just typing up something to say it’s crap but it isn’t. The debonair spring would achieve basically the same surface area anyway due to the hollow shaft being part of the negative spring.

I gave my money to Vorsprung as they seem to be doing some cool shit and everyone else is just catching up. Plus pneumatic top out is sick. Yet to test the Pike though so could change my mind yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The surface area of the piston is irrelevant. Only the cross sectional area in the direction of the applied force is relevant. You are right though that the relative volumes of the pos/neg chambers will be different as between the stock, luftkappe and debonair arrangements.