Derby - Activities for non bikers

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All,
Have managed to convince the family to travel to Tassie in April, planning to hit Maydena and Derby but I have a wife who last went MTB'ing with me about 18 years ago and a 10 year old daughter who thinks 5kmh is too fast on a bike. Anyone else travelled with non bikers to Derby can comment on things they might be able to do so I can ride as much as possible with my boy who will be keen as long as we are shuttling! I'm hoping I can keep them occupied for 3 days. They'll have the hire car to drive if necessary but the Mrs won't want to do a lot of driving I suspect.
Cheers

moorey

call me Mia
The river is great to play in and around, at the free camping spot, or some nice rainforest walks close by.

Mica

Likes Dirt
Sadly not much in town to keep the non bike part of the family amused other than what’s mentioned above. Perhaps gold/gem fossicking/panning could entertain them for an afternoon?

Most things are an hour plus away in the car (Launceston/St Helens), roads are pretty easy driving despite their narrow windy nature as there is a complete lack of traffic and those few cars you see are pretty patient.

Main input I have for keeping the other half happy is to be sure her phone carrier uses the Telstra network. Wife had Optus and was not impressed when she saw the lack of phone reception.

We were in an AirBnB so at least had the home comforts and a few board games, puzzles and DVDs to while away the time.

Was kind of thinking of moving there and setting up a shop called “bike widows” set up to entertain those left behind...

Bay of fires is definitely worth the trip. Stunning!!

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks all, much appreciated! I think you'd be onto something Mica, day spa with day care, wine and cheese. Something like the alternative stuff that have at Hollybank would be great.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bay of fires is definitely worth the trip. Stunning!!
We bushed camped on the beach right adjacent some of the red rock for 2 nights after Derby, a beautiful area indeed... the missus had lots of things planned for herself, I only wanted a couple of days in Derby and a definite few nights at Cradle Mt.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Hi All,
Have managed to convince the family to travel to Tassie in April, planning to hit Maydena and Derby but I have a wife who last went MTB'ing with me about 18 years ago and a 10 year old daughter who thinks 5kmh is too fast on a bike. Anyone else travelled with non bikers to Derby can comment on things they might be able to do so I can ride as much as possible with my boy who will be keen as long as we are shuttling! I'm hoping I can keep them occupied for 3 days. They'll have the hire car to drive if necessary but the Mrs won't want to do a lot of driving I suspect.
Cheers
There are some cool waterfalls (St Columbia, Halls falls, Ralph falls) not to far away if your wife likes that kind of stuff all involve a short walk to get a view. If she enjoys that kind of stuff there are some nice walks at the top of the Blue tier also, shuttle drop off the boys then the girls can go exploring. Mt Paris dam and little blue lake are worth a look too. The cheese factory at Pyengana (close to St Columbia falls) is a worthwhile stop if they are going past. Or if she wants some pampering there is a day spa at Barnbougle/lost farm (near Bridport) very cool out look and good food there as well. Beach options are Bridport to the north 45mins away (Bunker Bar for lunch ) and St Helens/Binalong bay/bay of fires to the East 1 hour.
World trail are building some green trail across the river around the old mine hole at the moment with a look out high on the cliff face, to make Derby a bit more family friendly but I don't think it will be open in April. Hopefully I'm wrong though as it might spark their interest in MTB.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
There is a tennis court at the camping ground that kept our kids busy a few weekends back (We brought our own rackets and balls) They are constructing a new trail around a lake (water filled quarry) across the river and have kayaking on it, not sure if this will be ready by the time you get there. One thing against Derby is that it doesn't have a great deal to do for non-riders unless you head out of town.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Could always head back to the bustling metropolis of Launceston and do some blockies with the local youths. (Im guessing they are still a thing?).

Binalong Bay would be good as well. Some OK cool climate wineries back towards the Tamar as well - depending how far you want to drive.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
There is a tennis court at the camping ground that kept our kids busy a few weekends back (We brought our own rackets and balls) They are constructing a new trail around a lake (water filled quarry) across the river and have kayaking on it, not sure if this will be ready by the time you get there. One thing against Derby is that it doesn't have a great deal to do for non-riders unless you head out of town.
Off topic, but congratulations to Stredda for making the Advocate today. I saw it just before I had to fly out of Tas.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/5165158/cca-welcomes-trail-funds/?cs=87

dottyman

Likes Dirt
I spent a week in Derby before Christmas with the family and it was a very different experience for me. Previously I had been with the boys for some intensive long weekends which are the way to do it properly IMO.
Wife and kids had fun but agree there’s not much there for them. She shuttled me to Blue Tier and Atlas and the kids did short walks up there.
My youngest 7 yo did a few green runs but Chain Gang is the shortest and easiest by far. Once they get used to the gravel it’s fun for them.
Swimming at Branxholm was the highlight. The Lavender farm was a hit but other places were too far for her to wrangle 3 kids.
I managed a few short rides in the evenings but it wasn’t the ridefest I had hoped for.
Wild Mersey looks like a great family friendly destination for longer stays too. Nice work Tassie!
Have fun mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Dotty, helpful info! I have booked in for 2 Nights at St Helens and 2 nights in Derby. (In addition to 2 Days a Maydena and hopefully a sneaky North South track run in Hobart) My Mrs will only have 1 to wrangle for some of the time. It's a long trip from WA for the weekend but yeah hopefully will get a group of riders only over at some point.