Derby in Tassi

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
@ttnguyen133 what @slowmick said. That looks utterly magic.

Your camera's done a great job of the exposure through all the light and shade - which one do you use?
Wait till you experience it in person! Feels like you've been transported to a completely different world.

Its the GoPro Hero 7 Black. Its been such a great camera to use with so little effort. The video quality and video stabilization has been great. I don't do any colour correction to the footage at all.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
........ Council’s make strategic decisions as voted on by a random cross section of elected members, who change every election. A council’s absolute priority will never be mountain biking, even though it may be important to the council of the day. Does this mean councils will close major trail destinations? Of course it's unlikely....

Maydena is the result of significant private investment, whereas most councils rely on millions in grant funding (not that there is an issue with this)- why would you think that a council would have any more incentive to retain the resulting facility than a private company.....
^This.
If you know anything about local council politics, you'd back Maydena's long term viability. No meddling, no politics, no interference from a "new" committee formed to decide on which committee should appoint a new committee to decide if Derby is still in the interests of the latest Axe-to-Grind.
Local councils are riddled with psychopathic, bureaucratic little people who get voted in with warped agendas. Some of them believe they are our "saviours". (see the other thread about destroying trails in WA for a real life demonstration)
....and don't jump on & say "you're crazy, Derby will never fail / close / shut-down..."
I'm not saying that directly. It would be extremely unlikely. But if we got unwanted upheaval of Councilors & new anti-mtb councilors were voted in - we'd have a serious problem. If the Tas state gov't of the day decided the funding was needed elsewhere - we'd have a serious problem. Remember, stupidity knows no limits.

But MBP are masters of their ship.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Cheers for chiming in Simon ! I was not questioning you or your teams 110% commitment to making Maydena bigger, better and more awesomer !

It was more aimed towards the councils making money indirectly from rates increasing, town investment, land being bought ect... and if the business itself was running close or even in the negative, they can justify the investment being offset with other areas of their 'business' making money.
I love both the fact the managing director chimes in here and the substance of the message. Great to see!

edit: My trip to Derby rates as one of the happiest few days of my life. Cannot recommend highly enough!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Which bike for Derby?

Im heading down with some lads in Sept and fly in fly out and hire some bikes. Seems only available bikes in XL is a Stumpy comp and Giant Reign.

Never been before so don't know the trails.I tend toward gravity style riding and like to hit it hard. I know Derby isn't Maydena though.

So would kind of lean towards the Reign but worried it might be a bit of pig on the peddally bits and worried the stumpy might be under gunned on the gnarlier section.

Have ridden neither bikes before. So what bike should I Hire.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Is vertigo your only option for hiring bikes or are they the only ones with XL sizes? Evolution has a fleet of trek remedy 8s and madmtb has Merida 140 unsure if they have XL though.
I ride 160mm nukeproof mega there regularly and don't find it to hard to pedal around but don't know any different as it's the only dual suspension bike I've ridden. Probably a bit overkill for the majority of trails but the extra travel definitely comes in handy on trails like trouty, detonate, shearpin and kumma gutza.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
The first time I went, I hired a Merida 140, the second time I took my Foxy. I had more fun on the Foxy.
Its so varied the though that at times you wish you had a long travel bike, and others, something more efficient.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Which bike for Derby?

Im heading down with some lads in Sept and fly in fly out and hire some bikes. Seems only available bikes in XL is a Stumpy comp and Giant Reign.

Never been before so don't know the trails.I tend toward gravity style riding and like to hit it hard. I know Derby isn't Maydena though.

So would kind of lean towards the Reign but worried it might be a bit of pig on the peddally bits and worried the stumpy might be under gunned on the gnarlier section.

Get the Stumpy 29er ?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Which bike for Derby?

can you not take your GG? You’ll be alot more comfy on that than a hire bike.

Jpez

Down on the left!
can you not take your GG? You’ll be alot more comfy on that than a hire bike.
Is a real quick weekend trip. And I’m not a fan of dragging 30kg bike bags around. Would have to borrow one as well.

So it’s a lazy thing.
Get the Stumpy 29er ?
I think I ended up with a Remedy. Two of us ride xl. But only one available.
So we decided to race for it at the Youis today. Best time wins. We also debated arm wrestling or Rock Paper Scissors.
I smashed him haha. So I get the Remedy which I’m happy with as I’m famili with them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
@rstim I was talking to a bloke tonight who was with me in Derby in Jan this year, he reckons he read there were 4 new trails being constructed right now ?
Have you heard anything ? I said it was probably the Blue Tier to St Helens stuff but he was adamant it was Derby local trails.

Would be awesome if it was, we arrive Dec 28th and it couldn't get any better... or could it !

Got a 5 bike rack this time too....

rstim

Likes Dirt
@rstim I was talking to a bloke tonight who was with me in Derby in Jan this year, he reckons he read there were 4 new trails being constructed right now ?
Have you heard anything ? I said it was probably the Blue Tier to St Helens stuff but he was adamant it was Derby local trails.

Would be awesome if it was, we arrive Dec 28th and it couldn't get any better... or could it !

Got a 5 bike rack this time too....
No new trails being built in the Derby network to my knowledge. Only maintenance going on big chook is getting a revamp and air ya goin is closed for work at the moment. I don't think anything new will get built there for a while unless they get the EWS back for 2021. But I'd be happy to be wrong.
The World trail crews are going flat out on the St Helens network at the moment pretty sure the Blue tier to swimcart beach track is nearly complete and they are working on the trails behind St Helens too.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thanks rstim ! We were in St Helens and Binalong Bay 3 times last visit, no bikes though, will be different this time.

I reckon up to Blue Tier, descend to Weldbourough for lunch, then shuttle back to Blue Tier then down to St Helens.
The misso will be loving it, shopping in St Helens while we make our way down the hill.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Heading to Derby in late November, and looking for tyre recommendations.

Currently running Bontrager SE5 2.6" / SE4 2.4"combo, and have a Maxxis DHF 2.5" Exo 3c / DHR 2 2.4" Exo+ combo in the shed.

Wondering if it's worth getting an Assegai over a Minion style front tyre?

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Currently running Bontrager SE5 2.6" / SE4 2.4"combo, and have a Maxxis DHF 2.5" Exo 3c / DHR 2 2.4" Exo+ combo in the shed.

What kind of bike/riding preference ?

I can’t imagine that a 2.5 DHF would hold you back, especially if you are accustomed to how they perform.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Only if the minion needs replacing and you wanna try something different.