DH WORLD CUP 2015 - follow the season here with predictions, laments and discussion!

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
The first round of the world cup is only just around the corner at Lourdes in France, I cannot wait for the season to start and should be another cracker year stepping up again from 2014.

There is a track preview from last year floating around and it looks natural and technical, at 2.0km's in length the vertical drop is 477m so it's steep as well. Claudio's preview next week should be entertaining as usual.

Lourdes website: http://www.lourdesvtt.com/en/

Redbull race link: http://www.redbull.com/au/en/bike/events/1331684002884/uci-mtb-world-cup-2015-round-1-lourdes-france, start time ~9:30pm AEST

Event schedule: http://www.lourdesvtt.com/en/uci-world-cup-en/event-info/program/

Riders to look out for:
Troy - overall for this year
Sam - never count him out
Connor - I think he'll consistently break into the top ten and will get at least one podium this year
Ratboy - interesting to see his form coming back after his injury
Stevie - hungry after missing last season
Remi - I think this will be his break out year, showed what he is capable of in Vallnord

8 days to go.......................

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'd be popping a few sheckles on Sam for overall. Also think Chimpy will have a breakout year with Intense, scoring regular top 10's.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Can't wait for season to start as well.

Anyone mind if I change the thread title to something like "DH WORLD CUP 2015 THREAD" and we can use it to follow and talk shit about each round as they occur?

At least one track better have a facking drone-cam filming it this year..... :mmph:

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Please change thread title, good idea.

It'll be interesting to see if Redbull have made any improvements to the coverage, the recent footage from Crankworx Rotorua was awesome hopefully that's a new benchmark.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
My thoughts.

Bruni is my pick as the guy who will really step it up this year, surely he'll pop his WC cherry. Hill finished last year as the fastest man I believe, if he can keep it upright I think he's the got the best shot at the overall. By the sounds of it Bryceland has healed well, from last years form it should come down to a showdown between him and Hill for the overall. Shame to read you guys mention Steve Smith is injured? I was hoping for a 3 way between him, Hill and Bryceland - probably the 3 most exciting riders in DH aside from Danny Hart when he's on a run.

As always Gwinn knaws at the back of my mind. I still don't think anyone has quite got to that insane level of speed he was riding at a back in '11&'12 and find it difficult to imagine he won't win a round. Many other names of course, Atherton, Brosnan, Simmonds.

As always, I hope Hill stays injury free and kills it!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
My thoughts:
-Steve Peat is out, he's busted bits of his knee up. He'll retire from the World Cup scene if he even gets a chance to do a lap somewhere.
-Gee Atherton will win the World Champs again.
-Sam Hill will be in the race for the overall, same goes for Bryceland. I think Bruni will be in the mix too.
-It's good to see a few really techy tracks on the calendar, the track in Lourdes this week looks like it'll be fairly fast and littered with day ending rocks. That sort of stuff will spring some surprises and I reckon we'll see at least one first time winner.
-Brendan Faircloth will get a top three finish.

scblack

Leucocholic
Sam Hill for World Champs.
Troy Brosnan to be up there with him.

I think the fresh tracks like Lourdes are good for Hill and Brosnan.

In the next couple of years I reckon Troy will crack a World Champs. As he gets a little older, his balls will drop and gain some extra muscle bulk to add to his supreme bike handling skills. Go Troy.

indica

Serial flasher
Bosnan, Hill, Bryceland and Bruni.
Not Atherton - he's way too keen.
Hannah is, as always, a wildcard.

oriion

Likes Dirt
I think Troy is at, or damn near close to his peak - i'd expect multiple wins and podiums and a strong overall contender, if not winner

I have Sam pegged for worlds though, he loves Andora and he is ready to wear that jersey again.

The Fish

Likes Bikes
Bosnan, Hill, Bryceland and Bruni.
Not Atherton - he's way too keen.
Hannah is, as always, a wildcard.
Yes i agree with atherton keeness, i think it was his cairns run i re-watched recently and it looked as if he had broken down (helmet buried in the bars and shaking) at the finish, it was a bit odd. I guess hes enthusiastic which is a admirable quality but so is some restraint in my humble opinion, i guess thats why s hill is my favourite, brutal fast yet understated!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
looked as if he had broken down (helmet buried in the bars and shaking) at the finish, it was a bit odd. I guess hes enthusiastic which is a admirable quality but so is some restraint in my humble opinion, i guess thats why s hill is my favourite, brutal fast yet understated!
Sam did the same thing after his worlds crash last year but that got me teary eyed too...