DH WORLD CUP 2015 - follow the season here with predictions, laments and discussion!

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
My 2c:

I rate the Cup higher than the Champs.

Consistency over trails, conditions, psychological states, good prep, fitness, etc. etc. is more admirable than one win on one day. I get the pressure of the Champs and all that but some one who can pull it together more times than anyone else over a range of challenges is just more credible as a "champion" to me.

Whilst I'm stoked for Bruni, I just can't understand how some one who has more seconds than wins can be rated above some one like Gwin who has more wins than seconds.
I definitely agree to an extent, but it's awesome having a race where no thought is given to strategy, just give it 100%, win or bust. I think most people agree the overall is the greater achievement, but it's pretty cool wearing the world champs jersey all year.

Really there's probably only a handful of riders who have the consistency to win the world cup overall, but theres probably 30 or more who could put together a run good enough for a champs win, so having the champs gives more people a chance to call themselves winners.

It's a great event IMO.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
I see the a place for the World Champs in the calendar for sure. One thing that does get me though is how everyone repeats the same "It's one run/one race" mantra to the point where I doubt anyone really thinks about what they're saying anymore. I mean, there's only a handful of WC's anyway. 7 chances a season to stand on top of the podium, not many opportunities to shine. Of all the riders, Gwin is the only one over the past couple of years who might have thought or has been in a position to think "maybe I'll just aim for a top 5 at this one" but even he says he races every race to win. Most riders are either desperate to get their first WC win or to win more than 1, a number that many get stuck on. I'm sure that pretty much every other rider other than maybe Minnaar since he's one so many anyway/accomplished career, wants to win a WC badly and I don't think you can visibly notice a difference in the intensity between a WC round and the champs.

I guess what I've just written kinda negates the point of having the champs. Oh well, as long as the riders like it and wanna race it.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I see the a place for the World Champs in the calendar for sure. One thing that does get me though is how everyone repeats the same "It's one run/one race" mantra to the point where I doubt anyone really thinks about what they're saying anymore. I mean, there's only a handful of WC's anyway. 7 chances a season to stand on top of the podium, not many opportunities to shine. Of all the riders, Gwin is the only one over the past couple of years who might have thought or has been in a position to think "maybe I'll just aim for a top 5 at this one" but even he says he races every race to win. Most riders are either desperate to get their first WC win or to win more than 1, a number that many get stuck on. I'm sure that pretty much every other rider other than maybe Minnaar since he's one so many anyway/accomplished career, wants to win a WC badly and I don't think you can visibly notice a difference in the intensity between a WC round and the champs.

I guess what I've just written kinda negates the point of having the champs. Oh well, as long as the riders like it and wanna race it.
For the top 10 riders who are capable of being on the podium at world cups week in week out, that's probably quite true. They're all throwing down for the overall. The riders who sit outside of that inner sanctum though are usually the ones you see who really throw it all to the wall at World Champs. So as spectators, we end up seeing some seriously exciting runs, albeit not necessarily race winning runs, but exciting.