DH WORLD CUP 2015 - follow the season here with predictions, laments and discussion!

will2

Likes Dirt
Ha, tiradeNeed the Rat and Sam back in the saddle to liven things up a bit.
Yeah I agree, It did seem a bit mellow, a lot of riders out and just not that enjoyable. Terrific run from Minaar, good to see him take another.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Yeah I agree, It did seem a bit mellow, a lot of riders out and just not that enjoyable. Terrific run from Minaar, good to see him take another.
Yeah, unfortinately the conditions wouldn't have allowed it any other way, it was so sticky that one little mistake would grind all your momentum to a halt. Rather than the dry loose conditions that let you keep your speed til you hit a tree. But yep, unreal to see Greg back up top, with the track the way it was, the winner had to have a clinical, precise run. Kudos to him.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
On another note, Wynn Masters has really stepped it up this year. His run was a standout for me. The rest of it was pretty bland. I wish rebull could get cameras in the forest and show more than people pedaling up hill.

dh1

Likes Dirt
On another note, Wynn Masters has really stepped it up this year. His run was a standout for me. The rest of it was pretty bland. I wish rebull could get cameras in the forest and show more than people pedaling up hill.
Agreed, he was really putting the power down in the second half of the track. Very impressive.

That Troy brosnan guys not going far either. Connor Fearon, who is that?
Did you hear about that Remi Morton guy?

There is plenty of young talent around
I stand by what I said.

One, two or three riders who can cut it in the top 20 DOESN'T classify as a dominant force & we've clearly got different ideas then as to what it takes to be a world cup contender. I'm not talking about Aussies that can just score a factory ride. I'm talking about guys & girls (plural) who will podium or top 10 event-in event-out, year-in year-out. In terms of ranked seniors with years ahead of them, Brosnan is it & only it. No one else has CONSISTENT results & by comparison with Mick's, Sam's & Troy's position in the senior WC rankings over the last couple of years then everyone else in Aus is largely OTA (respectfully) on the rest of the international field.

Brosnan is the SOLE Aussie rider who is consistent & can put in solid results on any given day at a senior level.

I'm not saying that there isn't a shit-load of potential in the juniors, but what I am saying though is that unless MTBA get serious about genuinely supporting DH in Aus, as was happening through the thous', then all of these young guys trying to come up through the ranks will never realise their potential & Aus will go back to being just another average mtbing nation across all disciplines, with the exception of one or two riders, filling ranks. And I realise that it isn't without complication on MTBAs part considering the relationship with Cycling Australia.

Last edited:

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I stand by what I said.

One, two or three riders who can cut it in the top 20 DOESN'T classify as a dominant force & we've clearly got different ideas then as to what it takes to be a world cup contender. I'm not talking about Aussies that can just score a factory ride. I'm talking about guys & girls (plural) who will podium or top 10 event-in event-out, year-in year-out. In terms of ranked seniors with years ahead of them, Brosnan is it & only it. No one else has CONSISTENT results & by comparison with Mick's, Sam's & Troy's position in the senior WC rankings over the last couple of years then everyone else in Aus is largely OTA (respectfully) on the rest of the international field.

Brosnan is the SOLE Aussie rider who is consistent & can put in solid results on any given day at a senior level.

I'm not saying that there isn't a shit-load of potential in the juniors, but what I am saying though is that unless MTBA get serious about genuinely supporting DH in Aus, as was happening through the thous', then all of these young guys trying to come up through the ranks will never realise their potential & Aus will go back to being just another average mtbing nation across all disciplines, with the exception of one or two riders, filling ranks. And I realise that it isn't without complication on MTBAs part considering the relationship with Cycling Australia.
Fair enough. I get your point a bit more now.
On the MTBA note, we had one of their commencaires down for the national Enduro round. I had to half explain everything to the guy. Almost 100% sure he didn't even ride bikes.

It's going to be hard to progress the amount of top guys we have when most people would rather a steady amount of cash they can live off.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
commissaires dont really have anything to do with it - they just work under the MTBA system. So if they dont know about anything i wouldnt stress....im with Shake... though - some changes are necessary

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I thought Gwin was well and truly over the line, his run was flawless and he was pretty stoked on it. Then Minaar came along! What a great win!

As for MTBA and their "support" of Aussie racers; They suck. I'd like to see more entities exist that are direct competition to what MTBA are and do and have the necessary recognition to make their input count towards world criteria. MTBA have no competition and have always had a monopoly that forces us to use them. I've had nothing but piss weak dealings with them and would love to see them ditched in favor of something that has a genuine interest in all levels of racing and is nothing to do with BMX, road or anything other than mountain bike events.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
So surprised to see Minnaar back on top! Would have thought some of the guys who've been making podium appearances on and off over the last few seasons would've pushed a win out of his reach at this point. Just goes to show what an incredible rider he is.

Remember after the last round there was a bit of debate on here about the subdued nature of the commentary. Well it appears the "screwballs have spoken" (to quote Simpson's) and all you guys who wanted a 'professional' approach to the commentary have got your wish and now I no longer know if I'm watching DH or the Quebec women's 50+ Curling championships. There's just no atmosphere in it. Also, that track is DONE! For the love of god (or DH) BULID A NEW ONE! I think watching that race was maybe one of the first times (aside from Cairns) where I've watched a WC and not wished I was a WC racer.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Remember after the last round there was a bit of debate on here about the subdued nature of the commentary. Well it appears the "screwballs have spoken" (to quote Simpson's) and all you guys who wanted a 'professional' approach to the commentary have got your wish and now I no longer know if I'm watching DH or the Quebec women's 50+ Curling championships. There's just no atmosphere in it. Also, that track is DONE! For the love of god (or DH) BULID A NEW ONE! I think watching that race was maybe one of the first times (aside from Cairns) where I've watched a WC and not wished I was a WC racer.
I like the commentary but use to love Warner's drunken antics.
As for Fort William, the slushy wooded bit was pooh but it did test the worlds best. It needs to be sped up some but the rest of the track is as awesome as ever I reckon.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Watching the Sydnicate team video Ratty and Minaar were doing DH runs earlier this year and Rat said that he's never seen Minaar rail the corners so hard, Minaar must of found his groove.

Is Sam back for this weekend or still out?

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Just re watched the business end of the race and I suppose it wasn't as bad as I first took it to be. That said I still feel it's time for the powers that be to find a new venue in the UK. Surely there must be some other places that could offer up a good race. Not sure why the circuit doesn't change locations more than it does really. I mean we're off to Leogang AGAIN next weekend which feels pretty played out now. There's so many place in the Alps that could host a round (have the infrastructure) it just seems stale to go to the same venue's year in year out. Of course writing on here isn't going to do much about it but I wanted to waste a bit of time before getting back to work.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Watching the Sydnicate team video Ratty and Minaar were doing DH runs earlier this year and Rat said that he's never seen Minaar rail the corners so hard, Minaar must of found his groove.

Is Sam back for this weekend or still out?
Bah, it's Leogang, Sam probably wouldn't bother even if he was 100%.

And the riders just love Leogang............ I think Wyn's track walk from last year sums it up.

http://mpora.com/videos/AAdt6w058wai#0RPP7xZoEXhAFkIo.97

ajay

Not sure why the circuit doesn't change locations more than it does really. I mean we're off to Leogang AGAIN next weekend which feels pretty played out now. There's so many place in the Alps that could host a round (have the infrastructure) it just seems stale to go to the same venue's year in year out. Of course writing on here isn't going to do much about it but I wanted to waste a bit of time before getting back to work.
I guess a huge part of it is that any alternate venue needs to lodge an application to host an event. I'm not sure how many venues actually lodge one, but that is the first piece of the puzzle.

Stinky

Likes Dirt
I guess a huge part of it is that any alternate venue needs to lodge an application to host an event. I'm not sure how many venues actually lodge one, but that is the first piece of the puzzle.
It aint cheap to deliver a World Cup. The UCI have a long list of requirements that need to be covered off including hosting fees and TV coverage (both $100K+). Add in the blah blah blah extras that come with delivering any event and you are looking at a budget well over 1 mill. That sort of money is not easy to come by. In the Alps, you need to add in the fact that the Euros in the mountains consider Summer to be there downtime, last thing they want to do is look after muddy mtbers.

ajay

It aint cheap to deliver a World Cup. The UCI have a long list of requirements that need to be covered off including hosting fees and TV coverage (both $100K+). Add in the blah blah blah extras that come with delivering any event and you are looking at a budget well over 1 mill. That sort of money is not easy to come by. In the Alps, you need to add in the fact that the Euros in the mountains consider Summer to be there downtime, last thing they want to do is look after muddy mtbers.
Yep, my point exactly. I don't imagine they're choosing from 100 good applications. There'd only be a handful of venues willing and able to host a WC, and to be fair, most of the venues we have now are pretty damn good.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
The track looks amazing. A good mix of everything. After fort bill it seems that the woods section seemed to sort the boys out from the men.

My predictions for this week are:

1. Minnaar, because I think his groove is back and he is smart.
2. Atherton. He will kill it in the bike park and pedaly stuff.
3. Gwin. Because god is on his side.
4. Brook McDonald. I dont know why.
5. Connor Fearon. Because he just deserves it.

Wild Cards.
1. Bruni, He will win qualies but screw up in his race run AGAIN.
2. Brosnan. just because he cut his hair and it might work for him now.
3. Rat Boy. He will still be sore but I think he is in with a chance if fully fit

Going my last weeks predicitons Wynn masters, Bernard kerr and some random will win it.