Dirt Jump Etiquette

would the development of DJ etiquette be helpful - provided people followed it?

• Total voters

josh_lives_here

Likes Dirt
Re: yes!!!

technoboy said:
well put everybody maybe the runts can read this and learn something!!!!
Don't think anyone missed anything alright!!!!
I was waiting for that :roll: ....

and back on topis i think thats a good set of rules. bassically covers everything. :D

Butch

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nitwit said:
I think there well always be inconsiderate people screwing jumps up.
The "no dig no jump rule" is a tuff one, because some people don't even know how to use a shovel, i have had to demonstrate tool use to many riders and half the time it just does'nt sink in. Although any help is better than none.
If it's a kinda secret spot you usually only get riders there that willing to help, and if they don't, there is in most cases a local there that can enforce the rule.
Places like red hill (syd) have riders passing through all the time, they stop for a few jumps and leave, as long as they don't stuff any jumps up, i think its fine. If they start coming more reguraly, they need to put in some type of effort to help. Most jump builders appreciate help even if you only help for half an hour.
There definetly needs to be some kind of rules that people follow, otherwise localism as you see at surf spot well become rife, i personally know what this is like surfing at Maroubra for 12yrs. We don't need that type of neanderthal mentality coming to MTBing.
If the greater MTB community does'nt start working as one, it is going to turn more ugly than it already has been with trail closures, jumps bulldozed left, right and centre and riders getting pumped for not fixing the jump they just cased. I for one don't want this to happen and i'm sure most other riders don't either.
:oops: yea u taught me how to use a shovel hey :oops: , when i grow up i wanna be a council worker just like u lol :lol: , i was also waiting for a reply like that josh no worries im sure dale isnt like that in real life.....i hope :roll:

DYJK

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It appears that there are some pretty pissed off jump builders because people post 'their' jumps, next thing hordes or people come from nowhere with no respect for the jumps eventually trashing them
that maybe why you dont post the location and if you can see though the photo where the jumps are then dont post them!!! :)

oi digger lay of 360. ur reply was pretty cheap. all he was doin was compiling it. jsut the same as what ryan did. don't give him shit bout it
localism as i see it isn't a real problem for us like it is for surfers. sure we're kicking up a stink but thats only so we could achieve something along the lines of this.
owners of jumps are still happy to have most ppl, just as long as they either stick to these guidelines and don't whinge if they can't ride it due to ability or lack of.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
You know it just occured to me that the people MOST likely to stuff-up, change, not work at, and spread the word about jumps are people that have never heard of Farkin anyway.

And the ones MOST likely to already do the right thing are those that know what they SHOULD do but choose not to.

So while I applaud the efforts of those trying to come up with the dirt jumpers Magna Carta, can someone please explain to me how A/ it's going to make the slightest bit of difference (given what I just said ^^^), B/ it's going to be publicised to those (first para ^^^) who most need to hear/read it, and C/ enforcement of these rules is achievable exactly... how?

360xup

Banned
I think that the development of this stuff is crucial - i mean although as you said Grip:
"You know it just occured to me that the people MOST likely to stuff-up, change, not work at, and spread the word about jumps are people that have never heard of Farkin anyway. "

The amount of publiscity this site gets is ever increasing and although we cant enforce it - it does give the general public a better idea in the sense that although only 34 replies (approx) have been done there have been almost 400 views from external sources, and even if only the next generation of riders to come through farkin.net know then its worthwhile, most trailbuilders would agree with the statement that one less person knowing about the trail is one better then one more person damaging it - either intentionally or not intentionally...

And although many of the farkineers on here are good people when it comes to trails - the fact that all riders progress at different levels often means that some trails require "alteration" for the visitors - now although they do it with the best intentions the locals who like the trail prior to the alteration generally dont; and you cannot expect them to agree with alterations or downsizements of trails without there permission...

The benefits of riders over conventional methods of media - mazazines articles etc, is that generally most riding groups - spread their knowledge of riding and ettiquette via word of mouth, and therfore if the ettiquette on the site only see's 400 views- ten the possibillity of these guidelines being spread becomes greater and thus allowing many to have some knowledge of trail ettiquette instead of none.

DJ_Robbie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, grip makes a good point, the people that wreck jumps can quite often not even be riders, just neighbours not impressed by the bike riders next door, that seems to be what me and a mate have encountered down at valonia trails in eltham, melbourne, the trails have been maliciously demolished by the same group of 2 non-riders now that we suspect were kids of the neighbours whos parents have sent them down to do the dirty work, the other aspect is enforcement, without a doubt if someone gets bashed the jumps get demolished, if nobody gets bashed the trails keep getting smashed, what to do??? especially for the non riders who really dont understand, considering more jumps are on public land if someone does complain there really isnt much we can do. My 2 cents

wombat

Lives in a hole
i h8 showponies said:
doesn't anyone know any magazine ppls?? i reckon it'd make an interesting arguement in an article or something
I hear that some dribbler from this very thread may be writing in a soon to be seen Australian mag; but then again, I'm sure he has much better things to write about :wink: .

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
I agree with 360... any publicity is better than none and it COULD be something that grows and spreads. Just don't get your hopes up, or be too dismayed when shit still happens to your trails for a while to come yet, and don't get militant about it because all jokes aside NOTHING will turn people against you quicker than abusive behaviour of ANY kind.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Malfuctioning Eddie said:
ummm, I think people who dribble crap in here shoul have their pen licenses revoked.
Oh, "dribbler" was a tounge in cheek remark, I wouldn't really call him a dribbler at all.

Maffew

Likes Dirt
At the moment me and a few mates have been having alot of trouble with people knocking our jumps down. We've already had our tools stolen more than once and we've found out theres a group of other guys riding them. It really gets to me because we cleared the track, built the jumps, and often we end up fixing the jumps for 20mins before we can ride them.

A lot of mags have trail reviews, and I do remember Mountain bike action has a trail rules thing at the front of their mag, probably still do.
Maybe magazines shoulld start implementing something similar to this under trail reviews. That way everyone would see itand associate the rules with new trails.

digger

Likes Dirt
Maffew said:
At the moment me and a few mates have been having alot of trouble with people knocking our jumps down. We've already had our tools stolen more than once and we've found out theres a group of other guys riding them. It really gets to me because we cleared the track, built the jumps, and often we end up fixing the jumps for 20mins before we can ride them.
If where you're saying this happens is near bronte, I can't imagine why, there's so much vacant open space and unused bushland in the eastern suburbs of sydney...

360xup

Banned
If where you're saying this happens is near bronte, I can't imagine why, there's so much vacant open space and unused bushland in the eastern suburbs of sydney...

[/quote]gee glad you thought of that, It would have never occured to the rest of us to put everyone's input together to formulate something.

Does anyone else have anything else to add before 360xup the dictator begins his efforts to overtake the whole world once he's finished with this thread...
you know digger, out of the three things posted, 2 have had no relevance at all, so the way i figure it, if your only goin to criticize what you have had no input in creating why not at least make it constructive?
Clearly you have had stuff all experience in what its like having your trails torn down or wrecked and all we're attempting to do is make trails better places for everyone including people like you-so cut the crap

Smokey McPot

Likes Dirt
our jumps used to get bashed down by people all the time but then we put cement in the lips of em and they havent bashed them down ever since!

our shovels and pics usedto get stolen to but then we just took them home every day cuz it was to hard!