Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I'd say the only thing that was slightly disappointing was (I can only speak for group one) a whole bunch of people went out too hard on the road section and ended up getting off to walk up from the second pitch of the first climb (at the 10k mark) It meant the people who had taken a slightly more conservative pace on the road (i.e. acknowledging that the difference between a 5 hour time and a 6 hour time was not decided on the road) didn't get a clean shot at that hill. I made it to the fourth pitch of the climbing dodging my way through the crowd before the guy in front of me ran into a wall of people walking their bikes (cue domino effect all the way down the line of people still riding)

TBH I'm not sure what the solution is - perhaps introduce something like the Nasty Nurse Prolouge which is used for seeding riders into start groups at the Angry Doctor - or have a box on the entry form where riders who have done an XCM or XCE race before record a notable result i.e. "I did 5:45 at the Angry Doctor" [put this person in G1 or 2 depending on the level of entrants in a given year] or "I finished in the pointy end of a 24 solo" [probably a g1 rider] or "I did 7:50 at Aust Marathon Champs" [probably a g3 rider] and then the organisers can asign a start group rather than doing the self-seeding thing

Anyhow, these aren't criticisms its just the only niggle I found in an otherwise flawlessy organised and exectued race... I'll definately be back next year!:D:D:D:D:D
I thought the wave starts and electronic timing were awesome in minimising this, imagine what it would have been like if it was a mass start!

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Nasty Nurse at the Angry doctor plays no role in determining start times or waves the thing that stops congestion at the AD is the big F@#K off climb in the 1st kay

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
In case no one has told you yet dreggsy, you missed out on a pair of dt swiss forks in the draw after the presentation

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
5:08. Stoked. Gotta get a copy of the podium photo with such esteemed company in case It never happens again...

hypo

Likes Dirt
Well all I can say is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was my first 100k race and I was in heaven until about the 80k mark and then i opened the door to the hurt box and the rest of the way was hell for me LOL. Awesome trails and awesome bunch of riders. Being a bit of a DH guy the decents were awesome for an XC race, maybe next time ill take a smaller bike.

And yeah *hands up* I rode that bridge easiest thing in the whole 100k's

Will definately be back next year !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirtworks100

It agree it's an awesome race, having competed/ participated in all events. I entered the 50k in 2005, only to discover it was actually 72k or thereabouts! The next two 100k events had the infamous 20 minute hike-a-bike, scrambling up a slope after the 70k mark. The current route is well devised, with the technical bits in the middle third, and the never-ending hill after the 74k mark to test one's strength and endurance. How do the single speeds manage in this terrain?

My polar 725X says the total ascent was 1625m.
:D

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
How do the single speeds manage in this terrain?
We go alright mate. 33x19 seemed to do most of it well. Had to walk the latter part of the first climb, and same with the last climb. There were one or two techy sections where I wrong-footed and was back to pushing it along. The flats were fun at 130rpm = 31km/h.

I seeded myself at the back of the back pack, so I wasn't holding up any guns. There was a great vibe and no stress in this group.

Plenty of broccoli on the plate from the Fickle Wombat, then several cleansing ales was my pre-race prep.

Every rider I saw on the course was doing the right thing, happy to pass and be passed accordingly. Heard some great stories from riders about getting trackside help from other riders. I have to single out the Cannondale rider (Prophet, wearing a blue kit) who kept my spirits up for the last half-hour with many words of encouragement.

Post race beer and pizza was sent from the Gods.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
What a great day! I dont think we could have had better conditions, not to dusty and not to hot!

As usual the first climb sorts everyone out and I had no real hold-up's once I got to the top. A few wanna-be's yelling at people "rider coming, get out of the way" spoils the the shared suffering atmosphere of that climb. Honestly, if you want a clear run up that hill make an effort and get up the front!
Running 2X on the front for the first time worked out great, forced me to go a bit faster on the climbs :)

cheers!

orchie

Likes Dirt
I walked that section too, and although I heard the calls of "rider coming" it was generally people pushing their bikes who were calling it out on behalf of the guys riding. Everyone who was riding past got words of encouragement from what I like to call the "push bike" crowd.

I only did the 50 but had a great time - very inspired by the times that the podium getters knocked out. Was it 4:18 on a SS? Nuts!

Random prizes turned out well for me - Dreggsy not hanging around meant I ended up with a pair of DT Swiss forks to take home.

Grant

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
The results don't have the correct start times

I was in the first wave with one other and went over the timing mat at the back of the pack. The results have me starting at 7:10am on the dot. The other guy has been allocated to the 2nd pack and has him starting at 7:20am. So what has happened?

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
Wow, 5th in the SS class. Must have been the broccoli.

Amazing to see that 1st and 2nd were an hour faster than me.

Just goes to show that (at this race) where you start is not really that critical. I was literally at the back of the back.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honestly, if you want a clear run up that hill make an effort and get up the front!
Running 2X on the front for the first time worked out great, forced me to go a bit faster on the climbs :)

cheers!
It's a bit hard when your going to pace yourself and have everyone in your group try to fly past you, then most of them stop halfway up the hill. i had no end of problems with people not pulling over to get off their bike, they would not say anything and just whack on the brakes leaving you to ride into them.

50burn

Squid
Awesome race!

I was stoked to finish my 2nd MTB race and first 100k ride.

Only disappointment was the kebab that I was deaming about for most of the race, it was rubbish!

I never thought I would be so proud of a rubber bangle as I am of my bridge crossing one!

fezi

Likes Dirt
Wow, 5th in the SS class. Must have been the broccoli.

Amazing to see that 1st and 2nd were an hour faster than me.
Couldn't have been the broccoli. I had none the night before and got 4th...

I checked Anti-Trainers bike out and he clearly isn't playing fair... 36 tooth front ring must hurt up the hills but fly on the flats...

How many people crashed at the finish line? I saw 2 in the 10 minutes I hung around before looking for a feed

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
results are where?
I can only find the 2009 ones,
Alchemist's link is fantastic

Last edited: