Do old fools train?

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Do most of you that race DH or XC train. Gym work or make your self go for XC rides etc. Or is your only training when you ride for fun. And if you do train has it helped your results in racing.

Just interested to see what other vets do as half way thought this last DH summer I started training and my results relay improved.

Last edited:

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Depends on our individual goals, time available, comitment etc etc...so you will probably get a variety of answers...

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I ride 3 - 4 times per week off road - usually fun singletrack with the guys.
I commute almost every day by bike.
I don't think of it as training though, but rather do it cause its fun and keeps the weight off.
Training sounds like hard work.

Looserider

Likes Bikes
I try and have at least 6 beers every night, and if I am feeling up to it I try to have another 2 or 3. I find that it really helps if I dont get blind the night before a race and I never drink more than two bottles of red wine the night before. I never drink on race days as I find that every now and then it can slow me down and instead of seeing single trails on the odd occasion a double trail appears. Hope this helps. hic.
:D

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't have enough time to train. That is why I concentrate on DH.

If I had more time to train I would ride some 50km races with my mates but see no point in racing and coming last.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm doing heaps of boring road stuff at the moment because I was silly enough to enter tour de timor - big hills yet to come....

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Training

I have ridden XC socially for about two years and found that DH was better for me...... I am pretty fit being a carpenter and playing state league soccer most of my life... so training is not new to me. I have just started racing this year in DH and I spend at least 12 hours on the weekend trail building - in just doing that I have lost 3 of the 4 kg's I could never shift. I have a gym programme specific for DH but haven't used it much this year at all, but am about to kick that into gear. I also have stopped drinking alcohol much to my wifes suprise it's been 7 months and my reaction time and injury healing time has sped up - So yes training does have bennefit but it depends what your goals are.
Oh, I am a 36 year old father of 3 kids and have been riding for about 3 years. Good luck with whatever your goals are.:)

scblack

Leucocholic
I am 40 and train a fair bit, but not too seriously, and I don't even race DH any more.

Here's my training program:

• DH about three hours every weekend. Not religiously but every weekend I can manage.
  • Commute by roadie to work once a week - thats 35km each way.
  • Boot camp style training with Warrior in Sydney CBD once a week, VERY hard sessions.
  • Now to the serious stuff - Monday to Wednesday are AFDs - alcohol free days. Home brew is religiously consumed the other nights.
  • Plus the odd weights sessions.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I am 33, and train, but do not think of it as training. I think of it as just riding.
20kms return commute every day to work.
100km ride every Sunday. Unless it's too cold and then I wuss it out.
50km ride every second Saturday.

Sometimes I'll go for a casual after work ride to blow off a little steam and do a bit of a mountain climb and then roll on home.

If I don't get in at least 150kms a week I get cranky and edgy.
My joy riding is a lot less hardcore than serious training, but keeps me fit, and as I don't see it as training I have a smile on my face the whole time and never dread it when I'm putting in the last few kms when my legs are about to collapse.

I'm hoping to do the dirtwoks 100 for the first time next year with no training, I'll just keep riding the way I do and we'll see if I fall flat on my ass halfway. Can't wait to find out!

smeck

Likes Dirt
We've got the Paluma Push coming up, a long steady climb before you get into some great single trail with some great ups and downs and then 5km of a flat but quite loose/sandy track to finish. Training consists of going for the same number of rides but just stopping for less breaks and talking less garbage when we do stop. Perhaps if I was more dedicated I'd do the 70km competition course but I think the 45km recreational is far more sensible.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
The AMB 16 week plan? Had a look at that. Looks like a cracker.
Good luck with it mate! :)
Nah, my own one.....with some insights and wisdom from others who have either a mtb or triathlon background....

16wk figure, just cause thats how long is left....

Last edited:

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Training?? Sheesh........Thats why Im in masters now...too old to train and now just riding DH....letting gravity do the work for me......

Dagget

Squid
I've never done any racing at all ... I think the 3 Ring Circus 50 or the Back Yamma 50 will be my first ...

I try to do this :
Bike commute 2 or 3 times a week, 20 km each way .
1 outing per week to either Stromlo or Sparrow Hill ...
Weights at least 4 time a week.

There is a bit of leeway in all of that due to life getting in the way. :)

I tend to be a little evengelistic about being active, mainly because a few years ago I tipped the scales a 137kg.
96 now and aiming for 85 - 90 .
I'll never be a whippet but I will never be that big again .:mad: