DPF regeneration

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My van is getting a bit sluggish and twice in the last 2 days the warning "Risk of fliter blocking" has popped on and off. I do long runs in it frequently anyway, to try to minimise the risk of the DPF blocking and I've done a long drive in it this morning. But it's still hard to tell if it's regenerating or not. I was thinking of sending the DPF away for cleaning as opposed to a "forced" regeneration which is holding the motor at 4500RPM for 7 minutes on the stand..... Anyone done this? Do they come up well with cleaning?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Wow, a 2010 model with a DPF, that's a shame.
Can you still drive the vehicle if you 'send it away'?
If not, then why not take it to a service centre?

I haven't had any dramas with my hilux one yet (touch wood) but I got a letter saying they've extended the warranty cover to 10yrs unlimited Ks on the DPF as, like many brands, there have been problems.

DMan

Wow, a 2010 model with a DPF, that's a shame.
Can you still drive the vehicle if you 'send it away'?
If not, then why not take it to a service centre?

I haven't had any dramas with my hilux one yet (touch wood) but I got a letter saying they've extended the warranty cover to 10yrs unlimited Ks on the DPF as, like many brands, there have been problems.
No, I couldn't as the unit needs to be unbolted and without it all the ECU settings would be out.
Jeez @creaky . I'll just pop into my Peugeot service centre next door. Where do I live??........
Closest centre is Brisbane. So I may as well get my local to unbolt it and send it away myself

DMan

Yep, that's worse case. I was thinking of here
or here

CHEWY

Eats Squid
If the official procedure is to hold it a 4.5k RPM for 7 minutes why don't you just do that?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
They're as common as muck vehicle, im sure some googalating will yield some info on it from the UK?

Cancer boxes are beyond my french car experience...

goobags

Likes Dirt
If it’s a bit sluggish there may be an underlying issue that’s causing the DPF to block rather than it just blocking up randomly. Since it’s 10 years old there could be a boost issue resulting in overfuelling or a leaky injector causing incomplete combustion therefore blocking the DPF. Was it serviced recently with the correct oil being used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

They're as common as muck vehicle, im sure some googalating will yield some info on it from the UK?

Cancer boxes are beyond my french car experience...
I have. Hence I'm asking about whether if anyone has had one cleaned and did it work?

DMan

If it’s a bit sluggish there may be an underlying issue that’s causing the DPF to block rather than it just blocking up randomly. Since it’s 10 years old there could be a boost issue resulting in overfuelling or a leaky injector causing incomplete combustion therefore blocking the DPF. Was it serviced recently with the correct oil being used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the next thing to check actually. That's there's no boost leaks or issues. It's been serviced twice now since I've had it ( 3 days ago) and the correct oil added. I can't vouch for the previous 100000km unfortunately.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My van is getting a bit sluggish and twice in the last 2 days the warning "Risk of fliter blocking" has popped on and off. I do long runs in it frequently anyway, to try to minimise the risk of the DPF blocking and I've done a long drive in it this morning. But it's still hard to tell if it's regenerating or not. I was thinking of sending the DPF away for cleaning as opposed to a "forced" regeneration which is holding the motor at 4500RPM for 7 minutes on the stand..... Anyone done this? Do they come up well with cleaning?
Cleaning will be mostly successful if it has not already been damaged. But as @goobags suggested, should have other issues checked first. Leaking turbo for instance. But if a high k 10 year old, it may very well be just that it can no longer cope with further regen and needs to be cleaned or replaced.
Any off car cleaner should check it for damage prior to cleaning and will let you know if it wont be possible.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have a scan tool ?

As the other fellas have said - there may be an underlying issue - or a dicky sensor .
The turbo intake hoses go soft - due to wet oily poo from a shitty egr system , when you put ya hooofer into it the hose 'sucks' flat - reduced intake air - turbo not happy .

( i only put this to you as i had a Range Rover-twin turbo that started to have this issue and it was a dirty intake and gooey hose - give it limp mode )

or in LR lingo - " reduced power mode'

Ask your friendly mech to scan it - but if the DPF is full , its not like you can empty it . Truck ones can be cleaned - but a car one needs to be disectted to get to the core and then reassembled ,
I'd consider seeing if a pre-loved one is avail ?

DMan

Do you have a scan tool ?

As the other fellas have said - there may be an underlying issue - or a dicky sensor .
The turbo intake hoses go soft - due to wet oily poo from a shitty egr system , when you put ya hooofer into it the hose 'sucks' flat - reduced intake air - turbo not happy .

( i only put this to you as i had a Range Rover-twin turbo that started to have this issue and it was a dirty intake and gooey hose - give it limp mode )

or in LR lingo - " reduced power mode'

Ask your friendly mech to scan it - but if the DPF is full , its not like you can empty it . Truck ones can be cleaned - but a car one needs to be disectted to get to the core and then reassembled ,
I'd consider seeing if a pre-loved one is avail ?
I'll see if I can get it scanned then. The fella I talked to at one of the places I posted up above was confident they could bring it back They don't need to take it apart apparently. They scan it after and offer a warranty too.

Flow-Rider

Burner
No, I couldn't as the unit needs to be unbolted and without it all the ECU settings would be out.
Jeez @creaky . I'll just pop into my Peugeot service centre next door. Where do I live??........
Closest centre is Brisbane. So I may as well get my local to unbolt it and send it away myself
There's an exhaust shop in Toowoomba that cleans them, they own a specific wash machine but never used them myself.

https://www.toowoombaexhaustcentre.com.au/dpf-cleaning/