Dream Bike Shop - HELP

ando120

Likes Dirt
Hello fellow Rotorburn-ers.

I may OR MAY NOT (you don't know) be thinking of opening a bike shop. Let's presume money isn't in the millions but the bike range is outstanding. What do you want to see in a shop? Thinking outside the square. Answers even like 'a tv and a couch' i don't mind.

Alright GO!

Luco

Likes Dirt
Stuff, other than bikes to buy. You know, chainrings, chains, blah blah. Sounds simple, but I just gave up waiting, for over 3 weeks, for a new store to get in a nw chainring.

Did you happen to cast an eye over the many pages of the thread regarding the closure of a bike store in sydney CBD recently?

ando120

Likes Dirt
Stuff, other than bikes to buy. You know, chainrings, chains, blah blah. Sounds simple, but I just gave up waiting, for over 3 weeks, for a new store to get in a nw chainring.

Did you happen to cast an eye over the many pages of the thread regarding the closure of a bike store in sydney CBD recently?
No i didn't man, whats the go there??

Online prices i have in the bag. Done some research.

moorey

call me Mia

Let me correct myself...Online prices AND RANGE. Do that, and you've got me, but most that claim a huge range, don't. And clearly it's unfeasible in a bricks and mortar store in aus.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Staff that know shit obout MTB stuff and the ability to get me what I want before someone in the UK can.

stirk

Burner
I MAY or MAY NOT (but I do know) that I would want a very wide selections of parts, tools and maintenance supplies but what shop could provide the range to please everyone!

Dancing girls will suffice.

Seriously though every shop I've ever been to lacks a good range of shoes and clothing and personally I prefer to try before I buy shoes and clothes because sizing is so different across brands. Armour, gloves, etc included.

That's my advice, stock up on the non bike accessories.

ChopSticks

Banned
a range of saddles to test fit... specifically from different brands.
Cover your arse but requiring a $100~ deposit (cost of saddle)... which can then be deduced as store credit if buyer doesnt like... avoids stupid Chinese jews like me from trying and buying else were ;)

would also be awesome if you had a 'walk-in' workshop... ie $20 to walk in and use ANYTHING. Ie headset press, wheel truing stand etc... (not sure how insurance for that goes)

Prices will be key.... stock regular stuff.. like decent chains, mechs (XT), shifters (XT lever stuff), cables. Fork seals and oils. Lubes , greases etc

Spoke to a mate whos in the game... apparently kids bikes have the big margins, and quicker set up/turn around.... maybe pump those out?

OHHHH and you HAVE TO do an online store !! Super quick postage and range is key!
If you cut overheads and open an online store... I'd happily pay abit extra for parts that will arrive within 2-3days.
not saying you need to stock a brake lever for a set of saint brakes, or a crown race for a cane creek 40 headset..... but have a decent range of hydraulic hoses, brake levers, shifters, callipers, pedals, chains, cassettes..... standard stuff, consumables etc.

Last edited:

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
This all sounds like my local bike shop haha, I must be lucky. Workshop/tutorial nights would be fun for those willing to learn and could bring in new customers. Thing like "how to fit a tubeless setup" "how to tune your gears properly" and could even cover some riding technique stuff like how to adjust suspension to suit your riding/terrain/weight and correct pedaling techniques etc. My local shop does discounts for bike club members too which encourages more memberships and furthers the sport.

LukeGX

Squid
A range of bikes that well represent the full range of whatever brand you stock. Building and truing wheels, facing headsets and bb shells. Servicing forks. I do a lot of maintenance myself so when I pay for it I want to know it is done right. Maybe importing some Chinese stuff like Light Bicycle, probably a nightmare from returns point of view but it would be different to what most shops have in au.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
things online sores can't give

Inside the store bike parking, with pump, bottle refill station
test bikes
test parts
test track
customise options on new bikes
samples of bars/ gels/ drinks
dvd rentals
lots of hands on stuff, GPS, lights (in a dark room with sales staff.....)
7 day money back satisfaction guaranty on everything ( I know a store in Austria that offers this, I have taken back tyres, knicks, shoes- yes after I used them and go no question refund).
very attractive female sales staff who know more about bikes than me
a workshop that will do a 5 minute job- NOW
knicks on the rack in SIZE order
coaching clinics by guys like Danny Mac
prices within 15% of online

ChopSticks

Banned
things online sores can't give

Inside the store bike parking, with pump, bottle refill station
test bikes
test parts
test track
customise options on new bikes
samples of bars/ gels/ drinks
dvd rentals
lots of hands on stuff, GPS, lights (in a dark room with sales staff.....)
7 day money back satisfaction guaranty on everything ( I know a store in Austria that offers this, I have taken back tyres, knicks, shoes- yes after I used them and go no question refund).
very attractive female sales staff who know more about bikes than me
a workshop that will do a 5 minute job- NOW
knicks on the rack in SIZE order
coaching clinics by guys like Danny Mac
prices within 15% of online
anything I can see happening... bar THAT

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
Service....................

If I was starting a bike shop I would start by looking at the mechanical side of the house.................

You are not going to compete with the on-line shops, so charge people to install their parts and actively promote that you will install the parts of help them out. Talking to a lot of people about bike shops that is what they are looking for. If you could combine a good front of house with this model for the mechanics it might just work.

Though the Aussie bike industry mightn't like it.......................... they appeared to shut down a shop that had a similar partnership with Wiggle in Canberra (but Canberrans' are not that frugal with their money)

teK--

Eats Squid
Good availability of service supplies and repair parts and open till late on fri/sat (7pm?). Often just need that part or oil etc when wrenching on weekend.

Online order shop.

Comunith presence at with a mechanic and stall at races.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Service, service, SERVICE!!!

I am so tired of getting crap service in bike stores. Make sure you and your staff so some sort of retail or hospitality customer service training. Be professionals and offer a great retailing experience. Or at least one that doesn't make you want to throw a brick through the window as a customer.

My particular bug bears are not acknowledging your customers as they come in (you know where it seems like the staff actively ignore/hide from you). DO NOT be condescending to female shoppers (yes, a lot of women don't ride - but lots of us do too and we know what we want. If I come in with my male partner I still want you to talk to me - because I am the one with money).

A bike service booking system is not made up with scraps of paper (true story: unsurprisingly they always forgot to order my parts. Only used them twice) - get a real booking database to manage it all. Be professional.

Maybe have a bike or two to hire out while the customer's bike is in for service? I only have one trail bike and I hate putting it in for service as then I have nothing to ride (the shocks haven't been serviced for donkeys as it will take many weeks). These could also be demo rides?

Luco

Likes Dirt

Look up the thread, Bike Shop Failure - Sydney City Bike Depot in general mtb discussion. A lot of different opinions in there on what makes a successful bike store.

At the end of the day you'll probably discover most of us want good honest service...

crash3

Likes Dirt
Mostly staff that aren't up their own arse, and friendly enough that you won't feel judged when you can't afford something, or just come in to do some research a week or so before you want to buy. But that's a general retail thing, and very hard to achieve. Create a friendly store environment and you'll get loads of people in, especially noobs like me.

Best of luck, and if you get your online store off the ground I'll be sure to buy.