Drivetrain noise - what to check first

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It’s a process of elimination to track down the noise.
This is it in the end. Unfortunately no easy answer. Check and re grease they easier to access bits until you find it.

It will end up being the last thing that you find and didn't suspect after spending too much time riding a creaky bike.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
This is it in the end. Unfortunately no easy answer. Check and re grease they easier to access bits until you find it.

It will end up being the last thing that you find and didn't suspect after spending too much time riding a creaky bike.
The bleedin' obvious, in the form of an already known issue, is usually a good place to start. ;-)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The bleedin' obvious, in the form of an already known issue, is usually a good place to start. ;-)
Ahem..........The Duck has entered the building.

True but after I wasted loads of time to find a unbounded seat rail clicking occasionally then nothing is too straightforward.

T-Rex

Template denier
Ahem..........The Duck has entered the building.

True but after I wasted loads of time to find a unbounded seat rail clicking occasionally then nothing is too straightforward.
Best one I've heard was at the LBS where Junior used to work - noise turned out to be the bottle cage mounting bolts - 8 hours to track that one down.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Best one I've heard was at the LBS where Junior used to work - noise turned out to be the bottle cage mounting bolts - 8 hours to track that one down.
Noises from tough to find places drive you nuts. I love silent as possible bike and no repetitive clicking noises for me.
I even bought a I-beam saddle and post as a silent protest. Damn you, evil seat rails.

stirk

Burner

yep, I've had many creaks most of which I put down to the press fit BB but after installing the wheels manufacturing threaded BB fix for said stupid press fit I found a raft of other creaks still annoying the crap out of me. I tracked the vibration of the creak to the shock area and so repacked the wishbone pivot bearings with fresh grease and serviced the shock and it's all good.....for now.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Thanks all. Just to clarify that the Freehub threads are dodgy in terms they have minor cross threading so whilst the cassette does up tight it's a massive pita to get it started.

Had a quick work on it today, gave the drivetrain a clean and thorough lube and dropped chain oil in the pivots but no joy.

Was hoping it was just a dry drivetrain but not to be so off to pull the BB and maybe if I'm brave the rear pivots.

What else should I be lubing?

nathanm

Eats Squid
You’re not going to find the magic solution on the internet beyond the suggestions already made.

Better spending your time trying to locate it. Maybe the UG could help out?
The internet works perfectly for everything. Just the other day I felt unwell and thought it may be cancer but Dr. Google told me I just had "Network Connectivity Issues".

My beautiful partner Jayne has many skills, unfortunately mechanical aptitude is not one of them (much like myself really)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The internet works perfectly for everything. Just the other day I felt unwell and thought it may be cancer but Dr. Google told me I just had "Network Connectivity Issues".

My beautiful partner Jayne has many skills, unfortunately mechanical aptitude is not one of them (much like myself really)
But she has ears, I assume.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Wait....you didn’t even lube the chain before asking is?
Fuck no.

I do have some mechanical nounce despite my self-deprecating humour, which I'm not very good at and knew it isn't just a I'm lubricated drive train. Particularly as I lubricate regularly.

But sometimes you just hope it's an easy fix.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A length of hose held up to her ear, and held near/on the various parts of the bike in question helps to pin point the noise.

Nexminute. Hose wrapped around cassette. Now perfectly quiet