E Bike at Cross Country Endurance Event

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The streets and cycleways here are filled with them.

I didn't say anything about them being good bikes. People will ride absolute shit off road.

Aldi will have one out in the next 12 months for sure.
From a traditional MTBer's point of view, Aldi delivering an ebike can only be a good thing when you factor in the inevitability of ebikes. It disrupts the market price wise with a piece of crap that stops other suppliers/retailers getting traction, they will be legally compliant, and should all be in the shed unused inside 6 weeks.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Wow. This is why I'm here! I've got all the time in the world to roll my eyes at your senseless definitions and scaremongering. I'll give you merit though for putting your arguments in dot point. It'll make it easier for me address them after I celebrate this useless excuse for a public holiday.

Edit: do you think people were outraged when dildos became electronic too?
Not sure, maybe remove yours. At least it will give your hands something to do other than posting on here.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The streets and cycleways here are filled with them.

I didn't say anything about them being good bikes. People will ride absolute shit off road.

Aldi will have one out in the next 12 months for sure.
So. I'm thinking the trails won't be filled with emtbs for 2-3 years. It takes that long for new tech to hit the trails in big numbers. Was the same with disc brakes full suspension 29ers etc. doesn't matter if you can buy one for 4.5 k. People don't just jump in untiley are easy to get.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMO, E bikes are underpowered motorbikes with pedals.

They should not be in a MTB race.

They can go and run their own events....

Of course others opinions may vary.!

I have had a short ride on one, and I can see why people like them...it makes climbing easier. But isnt that why people ride..to get faster and see improvements in their own fitness?

stirk

Burner
I ride a motorcycle, check out my con rods and pistons, uphill I think my lungs are pushing 2psi boost.

IMG_20170930_222534-748x1009.jpg

The argument against ebikes seems to be about Joe dickhead fangin an illegal high powered ebike on trails and ruining hard fought access.

The fuckers on ebikes delivering food, zipping about the CBD of Sydney on footpaths constantly dinging their Bells expecting everyone else to move out if there way while doing a fair clip will soon cop a coat hanger. Same shit on the trails, can't stop Joe dickhead from ruining what could be a good thing fo some.

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes
But isnt that why people ride..to get faster and see improvements in their own fitness?
People ride for all different reasons. I ride cause because I love the feeling of zipping through the forest on a bike. I like going down hills, and have no interest in riding up them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
People ride for all different reasons. I ride cause because I love the feeling of zipping through the forest on a bike. I like going down hills, and have no interest in riding up them.
Dont know what age you are or how you want to feel like as you get older.

There is nothing nicer than being able to ride everything, feeling fit, riding hills to get to the top then having the skills to smash down them, then riding back up again for another go.

When you approach the 40's and things start to slow, couple of kids, work, the gut starts to grow and you feel that life is slowing down, it's good to get some fitness and you 'could' even feel even fitter than you did in your 20's and 30's.

Believe me, it a good feeling... I'm not thinking this ebike revolution will do that for you.

Its nearly like the social media thing, you dont even have to go out to have 4000 friends, now you dont even have to be fit to ride up hills. The world is fucked...

Ideate

... now you dont even have to be fit to ride up hills. The world is fucking great!
Indeed.

How about this! An e-device to compensate skillz too!

Edit: In a XC race, would you rather a device that gives your competitors an endurance or skill advantage?

Last edited:

Switch

huskier headed gent
Dont know what age you are or how you want to feel like as you get older.

There is nothing nicer than being able to ride everything, feeling fit, riding hills to get to the top then having the skills to smash down them, then riding back up again for another go.

When you approach the 40's and things start to slow, couple of kids, work, the gut starts to grow and you feel that life is slowing down, it's good to get some fitness and you 'could' even feel even fitter than you did in your 20's and 30's.

Believe me, it a good feeling... I'm not thinking this ebike revolution will do that for you.

Its nearly like the social media thing, you dont even have to go out to have 4000 friends, now you dont even have to be fit to ride up hills. The world is fucked...
This is where I think a lot of people are missing the point of why ebikes are going to find a niche in the marketplace. Some people ride for fitness and love to ride up hills, for others the love of riding is just as Snapcatcher put it with the pleasure of zipping through the trees with only going up to get down.
People ride differently and in different disciplines because of what that aspect of the sport brings to their life.
If an ebike (and only in pedal assist form in my opinion) allows you to get out and put a few more laps in before being to exhausted to ride then go for it, riding a pedal assist is still going to provide good exercise. Not everyone has access to shuttle services or the desire to put hours in riding up hills to gain greater fitness just to enjoy the fun of riding down.
If you are riding an ebike in a cross country race as per the OP however then you are missing the point of both the race and what an ebike should be used for.
Just my 2 cents.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Indeed.

Next will be a device that rides the bike for us... then we wont even have to leave the house so we can spend more fake time with our 4000 efriends.

Wonder if Bosch can come up with a device that repairs trails as we ride them, because with twice as many e-people riding twice as many e-laps, maybe we'll get 4 times the amount of people turning up for trail work days than we get now - Awesome !

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Indeed.

Edit: In a XC race, would you rather a device that gives your competitors an endurance or skill advantage?
What an amazing device! I'm going to put some fins on my bike before I ride this arvo.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Next will be a device that rides the bike for us... then we wont even have to leave the house so we can spend more fake time with our 4000 efriends.

Wonder if Bosch can come up with a device that repairs trails as we ride them, because with twice as many e-people riding twice as many e-laps, maybe we'll get 4 times the amount of people turning up for trail work days than we get now - Awesome !
I've got a better idea, why don't the e-bikers form their own group and lobby land managers and councils then let us ride their trails.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did a demo day at Orange yesterday with DG cycles. They had merdia 160mm e bikes. They are friggin awesome.
Today we rode up a huge hill to do some descending on our non e bikes. We got two laps in before we were shot. With an e bike you could probably go all day.
If you hate them and haven't ridden them, then you need to ride one. If you still hate it then fair enough, I reckon they are cool but. They just need to get lighter.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Indeed.

It would work by using the inertia from the motor to control the rotation of the bike in the air. You do the same thing on a dirt bike, rev the bike in the air will lift the front wheel, brake the rear wheel will drop the front but in the e-bike case this must happen automatically I suppose.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Today we rode up a huge hill to do some descending on our non e bikes. We got two laps in before we were shot. With an e bike you could probably go all day.
If you hate them and haven't ridden them, then you need to ride one. If you still hate it then fair enough, I reckon they are cool but. They just need to get lighter.
I've ridden one and I'm still unconvinced, they remind me of a bloke that needs to use a dildo on their misses because they can't perform anymore. Some blokes might like that but not me.