eBay scam, alleged cheap bikes in Sydney.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst browsing fleabay today I noticed a new Yeti ASR7 in Sydney , starting price .90 US cents, with a note saying they were after US $2000.

Put a "watch" on it, it disappeared...

They also had a Trek Fuel, same deal, put a watch, it disappeared, plus the entire sellers shop!

Went looking a bit later, both bikes were under a different seller, same photos, same prices.

Put a "watch" on, the seller+shop disappeared !

WTF? They were selling a colnago as well, same prices , plus saddles and cameras...

Very suss methinks.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I THINKS SO TOO (woops didnt mean to yell that out) forgot that caps lock was on.:p

it will be ebay keeping an eye on the dodgy people. bikes and gaming consoles seem to be the hot thing to do

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
I reported all the items and eBay promptly removed them.

The hacker/scammer did it 3 times and I reported them all 3 times, so they were very quickly gone from eBay.

They listed at least 300 items each time which were all fake.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is (something that I'm still learning myself!!!)

serowe

Likes Dirt
There was another thread onhere a few months ago along similar lines - the same bike and identical images were appearing on a number of online auction sites in England, Aus, Europe and the USA.

Some of them removed the ads once they were pointed out to them - a couple (UK ones from memory) refused to do anythng but I think you will find now that eBay and other reputable online auction sites will be vetting them for the scams they are.

Best suggestion - if you see one and are sus about it (especially if the same photo has appeared in other adverts under different 'sellers') - report it. Otherwise some poor sucker is going to lose their money with no hope of getting it back.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?199037-WARNING-2009-Scott-spark-ltd-on-eBay/page2 <-- this was the other thread.

Last edited:

delbified

Likes Bikes
simple. bid on whatever you like (although i wouldn't bother with these), but don't transfer any money until you have the product in your hands.

floody

Wheel size expert
simple. bid on whatever you like (although i wouldn't bother with these), but don't transfer any money until you have the product in your hands.
Good luck with that, wait until you see how many sellers want to do cash on delivery...

...as in, none.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Goods before payment? Don't think you wil find anyone that does that ( I don;t with my photos either).

In a way this is where ratings come in handy but, as I said before - if it looks sus, report it. You don;t have anything to lose.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Good idea about reporting, the more that people report stuff like this, the less it will happen, they prey on gullible kids and parents who think that a bargain is about to be had, if this stuff goes on unreported, then they will keep on trying, reporting put's an end to it quicksmart, with less chance that they will try again, they only keep trying because it is such fertile ground to rip people off!