eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikie

Rock Bottom
That's going to need a rework if you want it to make sense. Though your implication that the aesthetics of the product ensure you wouldn't select it over other competitors in the market segment does kind of support what @Elbo was saying about the power of marketing...
Lol You're telling me to rework something! You're funny mate. I usually skip over your posts for the same reason.

They can market the shit out of that fugfest. It's still ugly. How does it make me want to buy it? Marketing tools can deliver images and video and reviews and sponsored riders hucks.. but I'm still not going to buy it if it looks shit. I actually think Hai Bike's are ugly too and would never buy one despite Sam Pilgrim showing me what they're capable of.

Marketing can be powerful and has some effect on sales (clearly not around here) but it's not the real reason people are buying them.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's going to need a rework if you want it to make sense. Though your implication that the aesthetics of the product ensure you wouldn't select it over other competitors in the market segment does kind of support what @Elbo was saying about the power of marketing...
Electronics is the the Gizzz factor mate, everything that's got them is better and if it's not better than last years model me don't want.

Looks like some of them don't freewheel all that well with the electric motor, I watched a bloke back off as he entered a trail head and the rear wheel started to violently skip across the dirt and he almost highsided on top of me.

bikie

Rock Bottom
Electronics is the the Gizzz factor mate, everything that's got them is better and if it's not better than last years model me don't want.

Looks like some of them don't freewheel all that well with the electric motor, I watched a bloke back off as he entered a trail head and the rear wheel started to violently skip across the dirt and he almost highsided on top of me.
That sounds like a rear hub motor? A regular mid drive uses regular mtb wheels... so there's nothing interfering with the drivetrain going down. It's just like a DH bike.

Marketing would absolutely sell newer ebikes to people that already have ebikes (just like biased reviews on here try to sell mtb gear to mtbikers).

But ebike-less people aren't buying them because of marketing. I'd be interested to collect data though.

"More ebike marketing leads to more sales to ebike-less mtb riders because they want to look cool."

That's a very testable hypothesis!

Flow-Rider

Burner
That sounds like a rear hub motor? A regular mid drive uses regular mtb wheels... so there's nothing interfering with the drivetrain going down. It's just like a DH bike.

Marketing would absolutely sell newer ebikes to people that already have ebikes (just like biased reviews on here try to sell mtb gear to mtbikers).

But ebike-less people aren't buying them because of marketing. I'd be interested to collect data though.

"More ebike marketing leads to more sales to ebike-less mtb riders because they want to look cool."

That's a very testable hypothesis!
It's not a rear hub drive, I see him on the trails quite often but I haven't taken note of what brand it is.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Cultural differences here remind me of the shooting fraternity. Different disciplines shitcan each other to the detriment of all shooters. Guess within any community there will always be elements that struggle to accept something that isn't their preference.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I Think fraternity might even be an overstatement as it implies togetherness and a binding principle, so to speak. The only thing most of us have in common is that we ride bikes. There's a good chance that there is more than differentiates many of us than binds us.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It's not really like cultural differences in shooting. That'd be like the xc vs enduro vs dh thing that's always been around the MTB community and always will be.

A more suitable comparison for your shooting analogy would be bows and guns. Both have a similar end result in mind (putting holes in things from a distance) but they're not just a different discipline of the same thing. If a someone rocked up to an archery event with a rifle people would be pissy about it. Same thing when someone rocks up to an xc event with an electric motorbike that happens to have pedals.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lol You're telling me to rework something! You're funny mate. I usually skip over your posts for the same reason.
I understand your aptitudefor the endgkish language and it's subtle nuances may be at a moderate level, so I remind you of the ignore button to save on mental anguish.

I do have a very high level of appreciation for your new avatar. That is champagne comedy.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
It's not really like cultural differences in shooting. That'd be like the xc vs enduro vs dh thing that's always been around the MTB community and always will be.

A more suitable comparison for your shooting analogy would be bows and guns. Both have a similar end result in mind (putting holes in things from a distance) but they're not just a different discipline of the same thing. If a someone rocked up to an archery event with a rifle people would be pissy about it. Same thing when someone rocks up to an xc event with an electric motorbike that happens to have pedals.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
I dunno. There are some fairly substantial and not so harmonious divisions within shooting community (as in firearms). Plenty of people within certain sections are vocally against others and will not co-operate. One recent issue was NRA ranges across Vic don't allow muzzle brakes which limits opportunities for modern competitions in practical shooting (pretty much any tactical rifle is equipped with a muzzle brake). The list goes on. Old benchrest hardliners versus new tactical tech. Many cannot accept the change and it has worked against the community as a whole. There are probably heaps of other recreational activities that have evolved in this way and there would have been highly resistant hardliners.

PS answer to the other blokes question - I think RACV home or contents may include liability cover for third parties when bikes are involved. I have emailed them to see if Vic Roads compliant pedelecs ebikes are covered but I suspect not. I have also emailed bicycle network to see if there membership covers pedelec ebikes. Will see

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Marketing tools
...the way a product looks and the user experience are a significant portion of the primary marketing principles. Is the technology transferred to the market in an appealing way? What research has giant put into their product design? How do they want this e-bike to look in relation to the competition? Are they working to achieve a similar look (as many bike companies are doing at the moment with their dh bikes...RM, Norco, Kona, Trek, and so on - not same, similar) or are they going for something unique (like Mondraker's shitting dog or Canondale's lefty)? I don't know nor care for the answers, but these are the part of the decision process for how that e-bike will look when it goes in the box. It seems that some sellers wanted to look as much like a bike as possible while others have gone for a Tron inspired future is now look to match the new technology.

It's just like a DH bike.
Except not...very not. I haven't had a DH bike with these kind of weights since the original Norco A-line.

A more suitable comparison for your shooting analogy would be bows and guns.
But what about throwing knives? Or even my trebuchet? I mean a projectile is just a projectile after all...if you can shoot the target, I should he allowed to crush the target.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I dont want one but I recon the Focus ebikes look pretty neat without the extra battery pack.

Only thing that could get me near one would be massive non shuttleable hills and 180mm travel. I.e. self shuttle small DH bike.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ there was a Tesla promo near my work today. They had a large shipping container style trailer exhibition open for about 1hr...sure it was raining and the cbd around here is a shit fight ghost town at the moment, but it just seemed a bit of a weak effort. Anyway when it came time to leave you bet they towed the trailer away with a Mitsubishi Triton! I couldn't resist...I walked out and asked the fellow in charge why they weren't towing with the 4WD looking Tesla and he assured me it had more power than the Triton and it could even tow a Boeing! He didn't specify which Boeing so I am assuming a 747. But why not use it now then? Apparently they are going to different locations. Still...wouldn't you have a Tesla for the tow?

The car did have billionaire doors on the rear though.

Can you do a burn out in an e-car? Do e-cars have gear boxes clutches etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.