eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChopSticks

Banned
Did they have pedals?
yepp they had pedals
ratio looks like 1:1... + whatever the motor puts out

Haha I can picture that. Good sleuthing Chops.
Smooth chops you wouldn't have looked suss at all! Might be dad was worried about getting in trouble from the ranger...I often love calling dads out for being dick heads in front of their kids. Play it all calm and push his buttons so the kids se he is a dick head and he has to live with the shame.
wasnt suss at all.... I've had plenty of practice from taking upskirts* :whistle: ;) LOLOLOLOLOL (*disclaimer... i haven't taken any)
wanted to call up the rangers..... but was riding with a group and didnt want to hold people up LOL

wouldve def rung up if I was alone.

Was that an MTB trail that they were on?
yehhh Johnny,
this is one of the local tracks that have gained ALOT of council support. Stage 2 of the park has just been completed, and really dont wanna see these guys on there.
(nothing against these bikes on the road/commuting, but if you want to mtb for fun...... HAVE FUN ON A PUSH BIKE !)

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Saw this family on my morning ride.... Didn't really know what to say to them......

Look like stealth bikes..... But according to Alex if these are the same riders he came across they are not as powerful, a stealth fighter is around 7k. You'd get a lot of real bike for 7k instead of one of these beasties.

Excerpt from an article I found on them on US military interest in the stealth bikes.

Stealth Electric Bikes Have two electric bikes, The Fighter and The Bomber. Darin Brin, Director at Stealth Electric Bikes USA said “These bikes may look like typical mountain bikes, however these bikes are extremely quiet and powerful electric bikes that provide speed, distance and maneuverability not found in other bikes in the U.S. market today.”
The Bomber can move its rider a distance of up to 50 miles with a full two-hour recharge. This 9 speed 116 pound bike is true to it's brand, Stealth Electric Bikes, with noise at a performance speed of 50mph at only 65dB.
The Fighter has a top performance speed of up to 31mph, offering distances of up to 37 miles on one two-hour charge. The Fighter uses the same quiet technology as the Bomber, the Fighter comes in at a weight of only 90lbs.

Sent by courier pigeon

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They must have been getting very warm wearing hoodie tops with their low powered pedal assist ebikes.:popcorn:

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
With all the new electric stuff getting developed on mtb's at the moment from electric suspension systems to electric shifting and breaking , power assistance systems in the future will be unavoidable and you better get used to it.

Progress is a wonderful thing and I can see the application for Dh bikes for the uphill shuttle where there are no lifts or utes. Turn the power assist off and enjoy the dh.
Also I can see the great benefit of having power assist with older people to keep them riding as you can see in many places in Europe already.

Getting angry about early adopters of this still very new technology will get us no where.
It is my believe that most new bikes in the not to distant future might have some sort of power assist option.
Keep your eyes open and embrace what is coming and as it sure will be damn better than developing another new wheelsize.

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
It is my believe that most new bikes in the not to distant future might have some sort of power assist option.
Keep your eyes open and embrace what is coming and as it sure will be damn better than developing another new wheelsize.
I'm not embracing shit. Pitchforks and burning arrows for me.
Death to e bikes

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
With all the new electric stuff getting developed on mtb's at the moment from electric suspension systems to electric shifting and breaking , power assistance systems in the future will be unavoidable and you better get used to it.

Progress is a wonderful thing and I can see the application for Dh bikes for the uphill shuttle where there are no lifts or utes. Turn the power assist off and enjoy the dh.
Also I can see the great benefit of having power assist with older people to keep them riding as you can see in many places in Europe already.

Getting angry about early adopters of this still very new technology will get us no where.
Essentially I agree with this. We're all a little conservative, resistant to change and difference, we like to make ourselves feel better by putting others down and excluding those in a weaker position. This is new tech and there will be lots to come that we will embrace and love.

My only problem is the immediate consequences for trail access and trail damage from the more powerful motorbikes like those stealth jobbies. IF stuff is the same averaged speed as an MTB, doesn't chew shit up by spinning wheels/roosting and those who ride the trails also maintain them then I don't mind them riding the trails.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Essentially I agree with this.

My only problem is the immediate consequences for trail access and trail damage from the more powerful motorbikes like those stealth jobbies. IF stuff is the same averaged speed as an MTB, doesn't chew shit up by spinning wheels/roosting and those who ride the trails also maintain them then I don't mind them riding the trails.
+1
I like geeky tech stuff, I want an ebike. I don't want to ride it at my local mtb park however.

Sometimes I can't be arsed taking the stairs and ride the escalator or take the lift, now I realise I am embracing new technology, all this time I thought I was just being a lazy bastard...:behindsofa:

Hyena

Likes Bikes
Look like stealth bikes..... But according to Alex if these are the same riders he came across they are not as powerful, a stealth fighter is around 7k. You'd get a lot of real bike for 7k instead of one of these beasties.
They're actually stealth bombers. $20,000 worth in that photo! I agree they're a bit big and heavy for single track stuff. For fire trails and wider stuff though they're fine. I have the smaller version, the fighter you link and it "only" weighs 35kg. Still double the weight of most mountain bikes and a good few kg heavier than many old DH bikes but not THAT much heavier all said and done with my 70kg aboard.

As for the gearing, the bombers use a 9 speed gearbox called a VBOXX. They're actually pretty slick bit of kit but at 4.5kg they'll no doubt make most traditional mtb riders scoff. This has nothing to do with the motor, this is 100% pedal drive train (essentially replaces the rear derailleur and cassette)
http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/bike/v-boxx/V-BOXX-GB10-VB-FR9-BAZ-ONLY-FOR-OEM-SALES-4079.html

IF stuff is the same averaged speed as an MTB, doesn't chew shit up by spinning wheels/roosting and those who ride the trails also maintain them then I don't mind them riding the trails.
The average speed is probably higher but only on hilly sections. I've chased fit mates through tight single track and rarely find sections where I could go any faster even if I wanted to. As you said I'm not chewing it up any up more than them. Any uphill grade though and you quickly have an obvious advantage. Again though it comes down to rider attitude and behavior.

Chopsticks I'm curious to know how these guys were riding ? Responsibly or otherwise ? Or were they stopped to allow the step-son on the regular bike to catch his breath. haha. If the guy was out with his kids cruising around, enjoying the outdoors and otherwise not causing any trouble/damage or bothering anyone why would you instantly call the ranger and have a cry ? If he was being a dick and tearing the place up then sure, go for it. I'd have words to say to him myself even as a sat astride my own ebike.

takai

Eats Squid
Ok, eBikes... gonna get flamed.
I have an xtracycle frame in the garage waiting for me to get around to using it. I have been considering putting an eBike setup on with it so i can carry more (beer usually). Anyone worked with this?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Ok, eBikes... gonna get flamed.
I have an xtracycle frame in the garage waiting for me to get around to using it. I have been considering putting an eBike setup on with it so i can carry more (beer usually). Anyone worked with this?
Go for it, would be awesome! I've often thought an electric assist cargo bike could ALMOST eliminate my need for a car. Almost.

Just don't ride it on MTb trails, 'cause it's a motorbike.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
E-bikes for commuting are fine. I moved to China back in 06 and saw all the e-bikes there and wanted to start exporting them to Australia straight away but was reluctant to because there was no clear regulation that I wanted to rely on. I laugh condescendingly to myself when I see people commuting on E-bikes instead of just riding a normal bike and getting the exercise. But that probably says more about me and my own faults than anything else.

E-bikes on MTB trails are still wrong to me, though.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mark the date, it will be important for somebody in specialized when establishing wtf went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.