eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're confusing these with petrol stink-bike conversions (which are now illegal, atleast in NSW)
The bogan ebiker riders I've encountered amount to probably less than 5%. I'd say at least 50% are middle to high income earners and the vast majority are all are pretty intelligent and tech minded with a few alternative transport types. The good news for you is that a very big proportion of ebike owners out there don't ride them in the bush.

Good points, all true.

Yes there's been some big advances in batteries in the last 2 years. The same type of 18650 cells that most of you probably use in your headlights power most bikes now, and also teslas (thousands in series and parallel) 2 years ago these cells delivered around 2ah each. They've just recently come out with new ones now that can deliver 3.5ah from the same package. This means either ~50% more range for the same sized pack or 50% smaller battery. The more bicyclish you keep it (ie more for assistance and less to heavily propel you) the more range/smaller the batteries can be.

It's already getting close now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxwellmotorbikes/maxwell-ep0-ultralightweight-electric-bicycle

This is a bike a guy I know is doing a kickstarter for that has the battery contained inside the small tubes of the frame. If not for the electronics at the bottom of the triangle you wouldn't pick it. And if he had big funding with a slight redesign you could fit everything totally inside the frame or a subtle saddle bag.
Already has been done, no?

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/04/hidden-motors-for-road-bikes-exist-heres-how-they-work/

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or if the battery is down the seat tube, try not to get water down there.

Alternative, hit the EMP!

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I've actually been a little bit converted. To e-bikes! I went to a shimano roadshow and saw their system and thought 'well fuck, if this gets people out of cars then we all win'. Ever since been thinking of doing a frame building course and making funky 'anti cars' that you can load the shit out of and using the shimano or bosch system to help make them go. It makes a lot more sense than getting in my two tonne pajero to whip down to the shops if I have to take kids, and then carry stuff back.

as for electric offroad bikes - I'm still the same crankety old bastard - there are squillions of kilometres of motorbike tracks in state forests, take your motorbikes there :)

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
fool

Thats a motorised hub with a throttle .That sought of stuff is what will give the Ebikes a bad name and have them banned .
There is huge difference between that and a PEDAL ASSIST MTB.

markgab

Likes Dirt
**** ebikes
Honestly those saying that ebikes help with injury/illness is total bull!
Theres always stationary bikes and resistant training!
Youre in the wrong sport if you need an ebike
If however you have permantely damaged your spine and enjoy riding, you're definitely entitled to have an ebike!

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
**** ebikes
Honestly those saying that ebikes help with injury/illness is total bull!
Theres always stationary bikes and resistant training!
Youre in the wrong sport if you need an ebike
If however you have permantely damaged your spine and enjoy riding, you're definitely entitled to have an ebike!
Your Schizophrenia kicked in between the start and finish of your post :behindsofa:

Riding indoors is incredibly boring when compared to riding outdoors on some nice trails with views, unless someone throws a snake, feral cat, echidna at you at random times.

Your Schizophrenia kicked in between the start and finish of your post :behindsofa:

Riding indoors is incredibly boring when compared to riding outdoors on some nice trails with views, unless someone throws a snake, feral cat, echidna at you at random times.
just don't get the quarter pounder on the way home ala our fat friend in the US of A

Ackland

chats d'élevage
So is Martyn Ashton learning to "ride" again on an electric bike bad?

[video=youtube;XaBOvw4UCMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaBOvw4UCMA[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.