Eildon ride day!! Check it!! September.

juzz

Likes Dirt
I think this rule is Bullshit, as far as I know the governing body requires fullface helmet and bar ends only, as for the rest I believe it is the responsability of the rider to wear the rest whether from an economic reason or stupidity. We are big enough to ride down the hill and do not require anybody to hold our hands or gloves down the hill. Stop hanging shit on the swans sure they have a shop and they are on the comitee but they do have a passion as we all do for dh but these new rules are wrong

trav

Likes Dirt
I think this rule is Bullshit, as far as I know the governing body requires fullface helmet and bar ends only, as for the rest I believe it is the responsability of the rider to wear the rest whether from an economic reason or stupidity. We are big enough to ride down the hill and do not require anybody to hold our hands or gloves down the hill. Stop hanging shit on the swans sure they have a shop and they are on the comitee but they do have a passion as we all do for dh but these new rules are wrong
Correct MTBA is the governing body of this sport and the means of insurance, not FTF .If thats all that MTBA required why complicate things.I can see FTF's point ,but where will this end ? What's next the rocks next to the trails are to hard,the trees are to close.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
Ill wear what every it take to be allowed to race.

All you people bitching about these rules if you dont like them dont come. Simple as that, make you point by not coming to the events in protest, BTW I say this knowing fully well that you will all be there any way:rolleyes:

Calvin M

Likes Dirt

All you people bitching about these rules if you dont like them dont come. Simple as that, make you point by not coming to the events in protest, BTW I say this knowing fully well that you will all be there any way:rolleyes:
So dead set if they said you have to wear a neck brace for your neck, full lenght clothing for your skin, full body armour body arms and legs you would.
I wear knee protection and gloves anyway but its upto adults to make there own call on protection.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
So dead set if they said you have to wear a neck brace for your neck, full lenght clothing for your skin, full body armour body arms and legs you would.
I wear knee protection and gloves anyway but its upto adults to make there own call on protection.
Yer, how else would i get to go race and have a good time with all my riding mates, Plus I already wear all that stuff bar the neck brace and thats only because i cant afford one atm.
Every time i dont wear it all carma comes and gets me anyway, just like last time...

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
Correct MTBA is the governing body of this sport and the means of insurance, not FTF .If thats all that MTBA required why complicate things.I can see FTF's point ,but where will this end ? What's next the rocks next to the trails are to hard,the trees are to close.
I gotta say im with Trav on this but also for the future of the sport i do see where FTF are coming from, for instance all the young kids that start out in DH are mostly funded by there parents getting to and from races. With safety technology comes the fear from parents seeing there kids getting hurt not wearing these items.
At the moment i do think it should be personnel choice for those who are mature enough to make the decision, fair enough we should probably all be wearing a helmet, shinnies and gloves at the least, but for now i think its a bit to soon to be making it compulsory. In a few more years prices will drop and these kids who have over protective parents will be living in a MTB world where these protective items could be an every day norm and who knows by then even the MTBA rules may change.

Just an idea Matt, instead of trying to push this rule onto people why not start to educate the future riders of the sport by having some of this protective gear at ride days/races for trial/demo the same as we do with bikes, this way you might also stop the bitching from people about you guys trying to get a sale which at the start looked like where your guys were heading,

Anyway peace out
Dave

Timbot

Likes Dirt
This is a great thing Matt that FTF are prepared to put a ride day at Eildon but in my not so humble opinion Eildon needs some serious work.My girlfriend's folks live at Eildon so i took the liberty of walking the track 2 or 3 weeks ago.Its in a bad state of repair.the jumps are little more than bumps on the track.Its badly rutted and lacking any bench cut berms or features that retain there original integrity.I think it would be a sad reflection on the club to kickstart the series.I heard a rumour that there was to be a build day and i hope this is true but 2 weeks before when the rain is mon the retreat will probaly just equate to an even dustier more flogged out track.Cheers...
Hi all,
We had a FTF committee meeting last night and we decided that we all desperately needed to have a RIDE De c

So here are the details:

September 13th 2009.
Riding starts at 9.00am until we are all buggered, (around 4 ish)
It will cost you $35.00, plus $15.00 if you need a day licence. This will include a FREE BBQ, and drinks at gold coin donation. Oh yeah, there will be shuttles for those who ask.

This event will be held by FAT TYRE FLYERS as a FUND RAISER for LONG GULLY!!
For those who know, the iconic home of mountain biking in Victoria, was devastated by the bushfires and is slowly rebuilding itself. There are still many issues surrounding getting the tracks back up and running. The biggest issue is insurance and this is VERY expensive. So, all money raised from this event will go towards getting Long Gully back on the MTB map and trust me, it will better than ever!! Jsut think, Thursday night rides again. Yah!!

Keep your eyes open for ONLINE REGISTRATION, to be setup very soon, and we would like as many people as possible to use this to trial it before the RACE season starts. It will really make entering events easier for you!!

Oh yeah, another thing that FTF is introducing is

NO DOGS at ANY FTF MTB EVENT!! NO DOGS AT ALL!
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to dog owners, but this is a MTB events and dogs and bikes dont mix!!

Also, YVC will be there again to help with bike maintenance, and setup, and will have a swag of good specials on the day.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Fuck me honestly!

I think Sam has some what a valid point about age related to decision making. Although anyone in the sport clearly knows, you come off your going to cop it. If people arent wearing any leg protection and gloves you really are an accident waiting to happen in even the most basic of all crashes!

Yes, it is your choice, but not when your racing under a club in an event whos responsible for your actions, or as I would call it stupidity. If you dont want to support such basic rules for your own benefit for the clubs who are making events and series like this possible for us year after year. Then on my behalf grow the fuck up or fuck off.

Ohh and for all you people out there targeting the Swann's or/and there actions as sales schemes for there shop, seriously maybe next time have a second thought about how much you have contributed to the sport down here in Victoria!
too right. a bit of common sense people. Ofcourse safety gear is for your own benefit, but the other reason for this ruling is to demonstrate a duty of care for the riders to the peripheral forces around the sport, ie insurers and parents(I'm sure there are others) by the organisers to facilitate the process of getting legal tracks built and maintained that aren't just goat tracks with nothing interesting on them at all as to avoid any chance of injury. it's a pretty small 'sacrifice' to make - if that's what you consider wearing protective gear to be - at 1 ride day for 1 day. it's an organised event, and that's the ruling. Props to swanny and YVC for bothering to even do something AND bothering to care about the participants. Trying to individually monitor who should/shouldn't be wearing what would make rego on the day worse than getting through customs, so obviously a blanket rule for everyone will ensure an easy day for all. it's not like you're being told what colour and type of undies you have to wear. If it's too much effort/expense/drama just don't go. but i'm sure a pair of gloves and shinnies would pale in comparison to the cost and effort put into the rigs you're riding. Common sense people.
My 20 cents worth
And great to see LG coming back. Love it out there.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt

hmm your right i guess, i love that track.

but if it hasnt been maintained since that spring carnival and we have a ride day then a race. by the time finals come around that track is going to be rooted, and thats being modest.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
hmm your right i guess, i love that track.

but if it hasnt been maintained since that spring carnival and we have a ride day then a race. by the time finals come around that track is going to be rooted, and thats being modest.
Making it all the more fun jakob:D

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty new to Downhill. Is this ride day at Eildon for me?

Hell yeh! Perfect. You can meet heaps of fellow riders, make some mates and have a wild time riding your bike. Eildon isnt a ridiculously hard track either, so definately get along!

James

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How necessary are goggles? I have everything else stated but I don't really see the need for goggles nor do I own any.

Oh, and I'll be there!

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
How necessary are goggles? I have everything else stated but I don't really see the need for goggles nor do I own any.

Oh, and I'll be there!
Do you see the neen to be able to see where you going?
Could be bit of a problems if your blind ah?

Last edited:

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
That was my favourite part of the track, i guess every one has different tastes. I just love riding my bike what ever the terrain.