Electric Guitar

Joy

Likes Dirt
Damn its gone quiet here... anyone got anything interesting to say?

... all I've got is I have finally finished a really involved solo guitar arrangement of a Zappa piece that will drive my wife nuts for the next month as I attempt to learn it.

Anybody else problems with learning that impossible lick where after the 500th time through in a row someone just starts screaming at you?
Haha I get that a lot when I'm running chromatic exercises.
Which Zappa piece Moggio?

It has gone quiet...

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha I get that a lot when I'm running chromatic exercises.
Which Zappa piece Moggio?

It has gone quiet...
Yeah chromatics would be nasty to listen too. Nasty to play too!

I joined a band years ago which was all very tricky stuff and my partner learnt every note in her head from all the practice and every little mistake I ever made live she would point out afterwards and rib me about.

Zappa piece is Regytian Strut.. This youtube clip of it has your avatar playing in it too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgubarfROhU&feature=related

I have arranged a few Zappa pieces... been working on learning my solo arrangement of the Black Page for the last 2 years!!

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
im still lurking :p

still practicing, its all finally starting to come together now. but tapping will never be my forte! it just feels so foreign. sweeping is starting to get better.

also, whats the thoughts on fingering for the major scale? my teacher likes me to use a 1 2 4 finger pattern, where i tend to fall into a 1 3 4 finger pattern where theres a semi tone between the notes on the 5th and 6th string. i guess that doesn't make sense when i try and explain it on a forum.... i played with it last night and its all fine. he sais its a speed issue but meh i dunno!

current songs im working on:
Black Label Society: fire it up ( the tapping part and the sweep part in the solo do my head in a little)
Black Sabbath : the Wizard - why did it take me soooo long to discover Sabbath?
Ozzy Osbourne: Crazy Train - love the riff, the solo is way above my head though :eek:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im still lurking :p

still practicing, its all finally starting to come together now. but tapping will never be my forte! it just feels so foreign. sweeping is starting to get better.

also, whats the thoughts on fingering for the major scale? my teacher likes me to use a 1 2 4 finger pattern, where i tend to fall into a 1 3 4 finger pattern where theres a semi tone between the notes on the 5th and 6th string. i guess that doesn't make sense when i try and explain it on a forum.... i played with it last night and its all fine. he sais its a speed issue but meh i dunno!
I think I know what you mean. My take has always been efficiency, so most scale patterns are within four frets so one finger per fret means minimal movement and less energy, flapping around and greater speed. If you do too much with the second finger its spending a lot of time travelling around.

If however you are going across the scale patterns and doing something with whole tone steps like like 5th, 7th and 9th frets then they would be fingered respectively 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers.

Probably learning it both ways will give you the greatest flexibilty later.

Ozzy Osbourne: Crazy Train - love the riff, the solo is way above my head though :eek:
I've spent the last 20 years discovering Sabbath... very slowly. An album every five years or so Really lame of me. But doesn't one come across them first when you get shown Paranoid's riff and you jam it incessantly in someones garage and are too embaressed to ask who's song it is... or is that just my story? :)

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
I think I know what you mean. My take has always been efficiency, so most scale patterns are within four frets so one finger per fret means minimal movement and less energy, flapping around and greater speed. If you do too much with the second finger its spending a lot of time travelling around.

If however you are going across the scale patterns and doing something with whole tone steps like like 5th, 7th and 9th frets then they would be fingered respectively 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers.

Probably learning it both ways will give you the greatest flexibilty later.

I've spent the last 20 years discovering Sabbath... very slowly. An album every five years or so Really lame of me. But doesn't one come across them first when you get shown Paranoid's riff and you jam it incessantly in someones garage and are too embaressed to ask who's song it is... or is that just my story? :)

ya thas what i figure. ill learn it both ways, seeing as i already know it the "incorrect" way. after punking it for 10 years im really enjoying learning this lead stuff, its wanky, but i do love it.

haha RE Sabbath, i was originally looking for that " heavy led zep album" for a while, then someone at school was like ummmm thats sabbath :p still took me 10 years after school to finally get around to learning it. such simple riffs, so effectively done.

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
same with me! it took me ages to actually get into them heaps, and i have no idea why. i had been listening and have been influenced by everything sabbath influenced, but it never dawned on me to listen to a stack of their stuff until i jammed at my mates and i didn't know what they were playing. such a rookie

on another not, i'm thinking about building a new amp from scratch. i mean like, circuits-in-a-cake-tin scratch. going to buy parts from http://www.retrosound.com.au/ and get uncle who is an electrical engineer to help me with the construction and stuff. i plan to build the head itself, and with help from my grandfather (a carpenter) build a nice surrounding of it, sort of dumble style. not sure about a cab or anything yet

my question is, because i'll be investing a couple of hundred in materials and hours of man handling, how much potential is there for it to go wrong, and just not work in anyway? also, if the materials are quite high quality will it sound alright if the construction is good, i'm just not sure of the 'formula' to get a non-shit tone.

i know ajay and hdtvkss (i think) have build a valvetone, and i a few others have constructed stuff themselves, so input would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

LJohn

Likes Dirt
It's a scale. It doesn't matter where you play it. I use every position, just depends where I want to be.

That said, with my slightly out of proportion hands and all the Paul Gilbert stuff I like to think I can play, the whole tone steps feel normal. Hell, I'm breaking it up into bigger intervals like 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, etc. To mix it up a bit and give me more options with where I want to take it. It's also a bit more of a workout to think in intervals rather than sequential steps in a scale.

On other notes, I've got something to offend Joy, a particular song which is my everest, and a 'band' that has forced me to take a different, fresh look at playing.

Which is fantastic. I've written more stuff that I actually like in the last month than the last year. In terms of the kind of alt/indie/pop/something? genre which holds a place in my heart.

EDIT: Valve amps are bastards if you aren't patient with some knowledge. I was reading for hours before I dove into mine.

If you build one, start with something like a Champ circuit. Or even a low gain one from ax84.

Or, this one http://www.evatco.com.au/sonic.htm

They are a very linear, fundamentally simple thing to build. Start low gain, as the higher the gain, the more important EVERYTHING becomes. Where high sensitivity wires are place relative to others, grounding technique, elevating heaters, types of components, etc. etc.

Low gain, not so bad, there's room to wiggle. Just be methodical and patient, and there's not a lot that can go seriously wrong. The hardest bit will be wiring something neatly. And make sure the filter caps are the correct orientation. Other than that, troubleshooting is time consuming, but simple. There are only so many things that can happen, as these things are, at their core, such a simple concept.

And Zappa leaves my jaw on the ground every time. Dweezil and Frank. Wow?

Last edited:

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
i know ajay and hdtvkss (i think) have build a valvetone, and i a few others have constructed stuff themselves, so input would be greatly appreciated
didn't build it but bought one. wow. just love it. playing it thgouh an old eminar quad loaded with greenbacks. the only thing that i can complain about is that it doesnt have a lot of headroom before it breaks into OD. replaced 12ax7 with a 12at7 and i liked the results. with a strat you get heaps more headroom though. the headroom is also reduced due to the fact that the cab is 16ohm.

have bought a couple of new pedals as well, an EVH phase 90 and a MXR wylde, $90 each :eek:

Jay_Patriot

Likes Bikes
Just finished the most epic gig,

4 hours of solo acoustic work..

kinda made me realise that i need a new guitar.

Budget- $1500

Surprise me.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't go Maton unless you can play one comfortably for hours on end.
Personal experience.

Larrivee's are good.

As most know, I'm still in love with my Martin 000C-16RGTE

Right size, Rosewood back/sides, perfect neck, great electronics, tone to die for.

Have a look at the all mahogany 000 size Martin. Awesome little thing, not sure if it's plugged or not.

Cole Clarks are good bang for buck, I love the idea behind, it.

All their guitars are of the same build and tonal quality, all you pay for for higher models is looks.

Taylors are amazing for fingerpicking stuff, more durable/less fragile than Martins, only reason I got a Martin instead was the neck.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
That said, I bought a Tanglewood TW1000SR because it was the nicest sounding in the shop for what I wanted.

Solid Rosewood back and sides, really nice spruce top. Looks fantastic. The neck is brilliant. A really really nice neck. Action is great. Projection is great. No electronics, but I couldn't care, it sounds so good.

Supposedly a Martin D35 copy.

Last edited:

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Okay. Big week for me.

I finally managed to let a song flow onto paper. That was great.

I bought an SM57, so better recordings and vocals ahoy.

I finished a Lovepedal Purple Plexi clone, which was alright, and have now got top notch parts for a mosfet booster based on a Zvex design which I may keep or sell depending on how much I want to use it.

I finished the Tele as well. It's great. Very fun.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay. Big week for me.

I finally managed to let a song flow onto paper. That was great.

I bought an SM57, so better recordings and vocals ahoy.

I finished a Lovepedal Purple Plexi clone, which was alright, and have now got top notch parts for a mosfet booster based on a Zvex design which I may keep or sell depending on how much I want to use it.

I finished the Tele as well. It's great. Very fun.
Awesome awesome awesome.

Awesome.

Didn't know you actually had your bits for the Tele. Clips Clips Clips.

Of everything.

NOOOOOWWWWWWWWW

Joy

Likes Dirt
I think you might be on your own now....haha
Might get a Schecter 7 String soon though to muck around on