Electric Guitar

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
There is a thing called a knob to sound ratio. If I spend 20% as much time playing with knobs as I do playing to make sound, it's too complicated.

They're nice, but an awful lot like the Mesa Mark V. A bit too all over the place.
Knob to sound ratio?

You'll be missing out on an incredible amount of amazing gear if you hold that opinion:(

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Knob to sound ratio?

You'll be missing out on an incredible amount of amazing gear if you hold that opinion:(
Just for amps.

I like Mesas, but wasn't wowed by them because I just kept fidgetting and couldn't nail the sound in my head. Other amps, a couple of minutes and bam. It's a conceptual thing. That's one of the Mark V's downfalls, and the Revelations too.

Jay_Patriot

Likes Bikes
Hey lads,

Just a quick one;

I'm writing a funk inspired EP and i need some guidance.

Since crushing my hand in a work place accident earlier this yeah I have given up Metal and picked up my acoustic and basically went back to basics and Good Technique.

I have started to write the title track to my EP and i need a Funk chord progression with G#9sus as the Tonic.

It has a few licks here and there but is pretty straight forward.

Thoughts?

Jb

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey lads,

Just a quick one;

I'm writing a funk inspired EP and i need some guidance.

Since crushing my hand in a work place accident earlier this yeah I have given up Metal and picked up my acoustic and basically went back to basics and Good Technique.

I have started to write the title track to my EP and i need a Funk chord progression with G#9sus as the Tonic.

It has a few licks here and there but is pretty straight forward.

Thoughts?

Jb
A good funk chord progression for that would be

G#9sus

(yeah what a smart arse! hohoho!!)

Funk with too many chords becomes 70s fusion.

Just split it with some gaps (ie create that very important tension) and use some fills that are simple triplet type chromatic runs or something like from the F or Bb to add some harmonic tension without actually having a progression. Use your melody on top to create the tensions relative to the static harmonic background as well.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well i just got home to find my old ibanez on the ground with a broken truss rod and a huge crack in the neck, not happy.

Its a set neck so i cant even get a new neck....very annoyed.

Jay_Patriot

Likes Bikes
well i just got home to find my old ibanez on the ground with a broken truss rod and a huge crack in the neck, not happy.

Its a set neck so i cant even get a new neck....very annoyed.
Man, Condolences...

Whens the Funeral?

Depending on it's value (moneys or sentimental) give these blokes a ring-
Guitar Repairer

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man, Condolences...

Whens the Funeral?

Depending on it's value (moneys or sentimental) give these blokes a ring-
Guitar Repairer
it was my first reall electric its not worth much its going up on the wall with all the other broken guitars.

Its annoying now i dont have a guitar with a fixed bridge may have to invest in a les paul.

Jay_Patriot

Likes Bikes
it was my first reall electric its not worth much its going up on the wall with all the other broken guitars.

Its annoying now i dont have a guitar with a fixed bridge may have to invest in a les paul.
Have a look at the Michael Kelly Vintage Patriot,

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/patriot_vintage.html

Awesome Sound for the price,

I'm also loving my SG that i got off eBay for 600 USD,

I don't know, What ever floats your boat ;)

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
if your after a les paul, you acnt go wrong with a Tokai Love Rock, especially the Japanese model. the high end model is IMHO superior to whats comming out of Gibson these days

Joy

Likes Dirt
Have you guys heard much about Crate Powerblocks? I'm thinking of selling my big Randall head and getting one. I use my pod for pretty much everything these days, and I find it doesn't really matter what amp I run it through, it sounds pretty much the same. Good quality tube heads sound a bit clearer, but not enough of a difference to warrant the cost.

$250approx for one of those Crates! 120watt solid state. Basic EQ.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...13141&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_7040wt_1166

Joy

Likes Dirt
They're pretty ordinary. The whole idea is to be a backup head incase your normal one fails.
So you don't think that just as an amplifier it won't do me any justice? The POD covers all my tone needs, and basically sounds the same through just about any amp.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So you don't think that just as an amplifier it won't do me any justice? The POD covers all my tone needs, and basically sounds the same through just about any amp.
It's theoretically a good idea it just isn't executed well enough to be justifiable as a primary amp.

rayza

Likes Dirt
personally i think you'd be better off with a cheapish rackmount PA amp.

edit: a valve poweramp would be nice though...

LJohn

Likes Dirt
You're all thinking small!

I want one of these powerblocks for the following.

Plexi 50, dummy load, reamp.

They are a great, clean poweramp. So running your pod as a pre would work pretty damn well. It'd certainly give you quite the viable tone. Not as nice as the original, analogue models, but good all the same. If you don't buy it, I will.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Tis a medium output rail pickup.

And it's fantastic.

It's got high end punch, and the low end seems to really thump. Not ideal for most metal, but I like the tone, and you can EQ most of the negatives out.

The problem I encountered is the Alnico neck pickup (which is great too) is MUCH lower output, so switching between the two needs a boost. Or else I just lower the rails and get a great tone, but lose that rock/metal side.

Grant_VDM

Likes Bikes
Tis a medium output rail pickup.

And it's fantastic.

It's got high end punch, and the low end seems to really thump. Not ideal for most metal, but I like the tone, and you can EQ most of the negatives out.

The problem I encountered is the Alnico neck pickup (which is great too) is MUCH lower output, so switching between the two needs a boost. Or else I just lower the rails and get a great tone, but lose that rock/metal side.
Awesome, i'm hoping to get a tele one of these days, after my amp that is.