Electric Guitar

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Need some advice

I just put a layby on my son's Epiphone SG for his first electric guitar.

What is a decent practice budget amp: Orange Crush CR15 / CR15R, Marshall MG10CD (or MG15CDR / MG15DFX), Fender Frontman 15R, Fender G DEC Junior (a bit out of budget), or Vox Pathfinder 15R, Vox DA5?????

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
I just put a layby on my son's Epiphone SG for his first electric guitar.

What is a decent practice budget amp: Orange Crush CR15 / CR15R, Marshall MG10CD (or MG15CDR / MG15DFX), Fender Frontman 15R, Fender G DEC Junior (a bit out of budget), or Vox Pathfinder 15R, Vox DA5?????
iMHO, the practice amp market is all much of a muchness. my bro in law got an MG15, it was OK, not great, not woefull. i dont know about the others unfortunatley.

the best option if you can afford it would be to go for something like a blackstar HT-5. great little amp, and will last a lot longer than the above amps.

that said, the vox pathfinder 15R looks OK

LJohn

Likes Dirt
The best low wattage modelling amps I've played are the Vox AD15vt and the Peavey Vypyr 15w.

All low wattage SS amps will have alright cleans and absolutely shocking distortion, except the decent modelling amps.

But, I'd honestly go to billy hyde, buy a Valve Edition 5w, and a distortion pedal. For the price, it'd be the best sounding.

Otherwise PEavey Vypyr 15w. That'll give him a choice of any region of tone he wants.

Joy

Likes Dirt
I don't think you can go past the Roland Cube series. Fantastic sound for a little solid state amp. I also don't mind the Line 6 Spiders with 4 different channels and inbuilt effects. We have them at work and the kids love them and the sound is terrible at all

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Ah crap! Forgot the cube.

The cubes are fantastic. But for versatility, I'd go the microcube, or the cube 30. No reverb/delay isn't as nice as reverb/delay

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heck I've had my 100W Roland cube since 1984... was a few years old when I got it too. Been used to death for guitar gigs, bass player monitering, practice amps and even had drum machines fed through it (was the 80s!! :rolleyes:). Its been lent out, semi lost and bashed around in vans and been used for furniture. The thing still sounds good (well for transistor) and has never had the slightest problem. Was $400 very well spent!

Grant_VDM

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a new amp. I have an orange crush 15 watt, which is okay for a practice amp, but not great for anything else.

Im looking for a tube combo amp. Im willing to spend between 1000 - 1500 dollars but will fork out a bit more cash if the amp is worth it. I play most genre's. So nothing to genre specific.

Im looking into the Marshall DSL 401 amp and the Orange Rockerverb. What are your guys thoughts and opinions on amps out there that might suit my needs. I'll also be wanting to run a few effects pedals throught it when I aquire them. I understand that the best thing to do is go to the store and test them out, but theres no harm in getting first hand opinions first. :)

Thanks in advance

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market for a new amp. I have an orange crush 15 watt, which is okay for a practice amp, but not great for anything else.

Im looking for a tube combo amp. Im willing to spend between 1000 - 1500 dollars but will fork out a bit more cash if the amp is worth it. I play most genre's. So nothing to genre specific.

Im looking into the Marshall DSL 401 amp and the Orange Rockerverb. What are your guys thoughts and opinions on amps out there that might suit my needs. I'll also be wanting to run a few effects pedals throught it when I aquire them. I understand that the best thing to do is go to the store and test them out, but theres no harm in getting first hand opinions first. :)

Thanks in advance
Guitars?
Style of Playing?
Pedal Setup?

That Sydney page is just fucked. So crazy. Clapton's Martin, Jimi's V!?

EDIT: Got a cheapo acoustic yesterday to do everything my Martin can't do:
Busk, kick around, accidentally knock, spill beer on, etc.

I've been fucking around with finding one for like 8 months now, everytime I got to Allan's it's like "I can't justify spending $500 on that," then I went in the other day and tried a Takamine D series, then went back in and got it yesterday.

Simple cutaway dreadnought, electric (with onboard tuner, a necessity), chunky neck (that I usually would hate but I can play this one really comfortably), solid top, supposedly Mahogany Back+sides but I doubt it, loud, lots of body, not as midrangy as the Martin but still sounds really good.

Sooo happy. Weird.

Last edited:

Grant_VDM

Likes Bikes
Guitars?
Style of Playing?
Pedal Setup?

That Sydney page is just fucked. So crazy. Clapton's Martin, Jimi's V!?
I got a Cort KX-5, i know it isn't great but the next thing im buying is a new guitar after the amp. I play mainly metal and rock but have recently ventured into the world of blues, and I've decided i want to expand my playing style. I don't have any pedals yet but will probably invest in some when i get my amp.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got a Cort KX-5, i know it isn't great but the next thing im buying is a new guitar after the amp. I play mainly metal and rock but have recently ventured into the world of blues, and I've decided i want to expand my playing style. I don't have any pedals yet but will probably invest in some when i get my amp.
Ah..
I guess the big question is would you rather something with good cleans that you can put a pedal on, or something that has a sweet crunch/overdrive/distortion channel that also has a bearable clean channel.

Grant_VDM

Likes Bikes
Ah..
I guess the big question is would you rather something with good cleans that you can put a pedal on, or something that has a sweet crunch/overdrive/distortion channel that also has a bearable clean channel.
I'd much rather something with good cleans that can then be distorted with a pedal and sound really nice.

rayza

Likes Dirt
i know you said your looking for a valve combo... but you could pickup a line 6 flextone combo for less than $1k these days... very versatile and sounds pretty good.? although resale isnt great.

Last edited: