Electric Guitar

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
my guitar teacher and his teacher did a clinic / instore last night for Blackstar amps. mighty impressed witht he blackstar amps / pedals..

heres a youtube of a michael Jackson cover (instramental) they did. they also did a shred version of Telephone by Lady Gaga which was rather cool as well. Chris Brooks ( the bald guy) is just a machine. his album is well worth checking out.

[video=youtube;34o7N-t8TSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34o7N-t8TSk[/video]

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Anyone got any tips for wiring a combination of active and passive picks using the same volume and tone pots? (1 vol 1 tone)

Can't find a good wiring diagram anywhere.

EMG89 in the back and two EMG passive single coils in the middle and neck possies. Standard 5 way selector switch. I am aware of the different impedance for passive and actives, but the EMG pickups are compatible with a 25K pot, passive or active.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, but I can't take the dude on the left seriously. Something about looking like you're from the 90's and getting your full rock on to backing tracks just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe harsh.. dunno.

In other news, last couple of weeks I've been listening to an album my neighbour gave me last year. I picked it up and it was another country album so I was like, meh fuck it. SILLY COUNTRYS YOU NOT GOOD MUSIC. Hey look, B.B King, sweet! Ugh, don't like song..

Anyway, a year has come round and I've taken my head out of my ass to finally realise how damn good Brad Paisley is on Play (his guitar-focused) album. Fuck me, this guy is a boss. Not only is he a fuckin' incredible guitarist technically and soulfully minded player, he does it all playing strings set up like power lines! This dude runs high enough action that you could fit your whole damn hand between the fretboard and the strings. Oh and his tone is badass too. Seriously badass.

Anyway, decided to learn his tribute to Eric Johnson, Cliffs of Rock City. Last couple of days I've given it a shot and have almost got it nailed, but there's some tricky stuff in there that might take another week or so to get down. Have a listen to the track, among others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8CrcXy_bMg

rayza

Likes Dirt
ajay, you picked up a new amp yet? hopefully a badger ? i watched a youtube demo of andy wood playing one a few weeks ago and it sounded killer.

while on a new gear note, i just sold off all the pedals i wasnt using and made more than i was expecting, so what do i do, save the cash? not a chance, go crazy into the low watt mini head craze? fuck yeh! i now have an egnater tweaker head, AND, a jet city jca20h in transit to my door, got great deals on both. here we go again...

Joy

Likes Dirt
I got back from the US a couple of weeks ago. I've been lazy, but here's some photos from the Guitar Centre in LA.

EVH Baby

Joy

Likes Dirt
Afraid not :-( they had all the EVH signature guitars ready to go as well. The guy gave me the "sure man you can try them, just give me one sec" spiel while he sat on facebook for half an hour. I would have toughed it out but our car was getting towed outside! Devastated.

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
death jazz? so good. such a smooth guitar cover. anyone know typical notes to include in jazz chords? i love the little chords played in the verses.

he does some metallica and ozzy osbourne smooth jazz covers as well.

[video=youtube;WDc_FIFy940]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDc_FIFy940&feature=related[/video]
[video=youtube;WDc_F]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDc_F...eature=related[/video]

todd28

Likes Dirt
I just got guitar pro 5 and there is no tab coming up? can anyone help me with this?
I have tried clicking 'hide standard notation' and 'hide tablature' a few times but still, nothing,

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Love it John! Seriously smooth cover.
You're right the synth is great, overall just love the clean piercing sounds of the whole song. What synth did you get? A MIDI keyboard or standalone synth?

What's your workflow for recording? What order do you do things in?

Do you program the drums yourself? I really need to learn how to program drums in Pro Tools LE or Logic Express. Any tips? Once I learn that, then I can lay the bass down and possibly get beyond just mucking around with bits of songs.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Elbo

Love it John! Seriously smooth cover.
You're right the synth is great, overall just love the clean piercing sounds of the whole song. What synth did you get? A MIDI keyboard or standalone synth?

What's your workflow for recording? What order do you do things in?

Do you program the drums yourself? I really need to learn how to program drums in Pro Tools LE or Logic Express. Any tips? Once I learn that, then I can lay the bass down and possibly get beyond just mucking around with bits of songs.

Thanks man.

It is Big Tick's Rhino2.0 synth. Comes with so many awesome sounding things. I use an M-Audio keystudio 49i for controller.

I didn't really put much effort into drums for this one, just a stock loop. They are run through a dynamics expander and IK's CSR reverb.

On Joy's advice I bought toontrack EZdrummer. So if you can source that, life becomes much easier. You can program them with MIDI or just use the stock loops and fills. If you know how to EQ it right, they end up sounding like real drums.

My workflow always ends with vocals. I record everything dry, I don't mix until all parts are down, then I'll go over it and start putting all the pieces in. I'll normally go guitars and bass, synth, drums, vocals. But that's just because I'm not so good with drums. If I knew what I wanted they'd be first.

http://johneth.bandcamp.com/track/fluorescent-adolescent-lounge-cover

Arctic Monkeys lounge cover.