Electric Vehicles etc

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Does this include PHEV?
No, thats why I keep saying 'pure EV', these subsidies only allow purchases for 100% electric vehicles, no PHEV, no hybrid etc...

Yep tradies and those small business tax writeoffs are why people buy new cars all the time and you wonder why you can't afford it in your desk job!
I work for an employer with many office staff, we all get the same deal on a novated lease... but the cost to the employee differs substantially depending on their take home pay and which tax bracket is paying for the vehicle. Which is your highest bracket.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Which includes 5 years of tyres, service, insurance and rego (QLD is $230?) per year.

So decent value.
So only 36,250 of your own money?

I thought it was about paying for the car etc from pre tax income and reducing the income that attracts tax. At least that was what we were told by the salary sacrifice peeps who set up my extra super payments.

I did the numbers on the Alfa when we bought it and it was easier and cheaper to just pay cash. We do bugger all kms and running costs are low as I do the maintenance - so there was no financial incentive to lease it.

indica

Serial flasher
I thought it was about paying for the car etc from pre tax income and reducing the income that attracts tax
It is, under the FBT idea you need to contribute post tax as well. Which makes it borderline worthwhile depending on income and circumstances.

So only 36,250 of your own money?
No, the $72500 is my money, $20,800 is running costs.

That total has me owning the car at the end of the lease, PM me your email and I'll send you the quote if you want to have a look

Haakon

It is, under the FBT idea you need to contribute post tax as well. Which makes it borderline worthwhile depending on income and circumstances.

No, the $72500 is my money, $20,800 is running costs.

That total has me owning the car at the end of the lease, PM me your email and I'll send you the quote if you want to have a look
Right, thats what i thought - Ozzy's comment about the taxpayer fronting half the costs didnt sound right. Nah thats ok :) Wont be buying a car for a very long time! The Alfa is still only on 35K kms after 4 years and that includes a lot of interstate runs for the move thats not BAU.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I thought it was about paying for the car etc from pre tax income and reducing the income that attracts tax.
correct. I also think there's some GST concessions which would have otherwise not been present IIRC.

the benefit or saving is only realised if you were in the market for an EV or a car of similar value to begin with.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
How did everyone in this last lot of posts forget that you save about 60% in fuel costs going EV? If you use $30 of petrol a week your payback is $1000 per year in fuel savings. Plus it's using ~90% of the fuel in the EV compared to ~35% in the ICE, 65% of the money you pay for petrol is literally up in noisy smoke for no forward motion.

I figure if someone can afford a 50k car every 3-5 years, they can afford a 60k car that will save them a lot of petrol, and servicing. I'm putting a ~$2000 clutch in my car at 99000 kays, there's something that would never happen in an EV no matter how many kays. I've had the car for 5 years, it's 7 years old, so for the time I've owned it I would have saved 5k on petrol, 2k for the clutch, probably 1k of sundry servicing stuff EV's don't need, which is pretty close to the average difference.

But is the actual elephant in the room changing cars every 3-5 years on novated leases with tax breaks? A policy that favours wealthy people and props up the car industry? I did the sums, it was so marginal whether I would save money or spend more leasing that I got a car loan, smashed it out early, and have paid a fair bit less than a lease would have been over the 5 years. However if I was buying a $70k car opposed to a $27k car the benefits start to go the other way, novated leasing is for rich people.

The ICE car makers are also pulling everyone's chains making them so much more expensive than their ICE models, like I've said before, equivalent size, quality and features of a Tesla in any other brand ICE car cost as much or more than the Tesla.

indica

Serial flasher
How did everyone in this last lot of posts forget that you save about 60% in fuel costs going EV?
I didn't.

However if I was buying a $70k car opposed to a $27k car the benefits start to go the other way, novated leasing is for rich people.
I'm not rich, I was trying to justify the massive cost of buying an EV.
The penalty over a petrol car is around $10,000 (Kona to Kona) which is 5,000 litres, which is 100 tanks (based on my i30) which is 58,000 kilometres.

3 years driving for me.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
It punishes poor people is a better way to put it. The more you earn and spend the bigger the benefit. Obviously you don't need to be rich to lease a
car but you need a pretty decent wage for a 50k car. 5 years ago my budget was 20k, leases don't work for that low value.

3 years driving for me.
Fully paid back in 5 years or so then if you can manage to get most of your electricity for 1/3rd the cost of petrol which is not hard to do.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It punishes poor people is a better way to put it. The more you earn and spend the bigger the benefit. Obviously you don't need to be rich to lease a
car but you need a pretty decent wage for a 50k car.
so the less money you earn, the less stuff you can afford to buy....who'd have thought? There are affordable options for people who have less money. Not being able to access the latest greatest cutting edge technology is not a punishment. eventually this will be the standard over ICE.

Haakon

so the less money you earn, the less stuff you can afford to buy....who'd have thought? There are affordable options for people who have less money. Not being able to access the latest greatest cutting edge technology is not a punishment. eventually this will be the standard over ICE.
I think he was referring to the common situation that the more you have the more you get given....

Scotty T

Walks the walk
But not being able to access a tax break because you can't afford to spend that much is pretty sucky. I'm not talking about the latest technology, I'm talking about leasing any car.

I think he was referring to the common situation that the more you have the more you get given....
Yes.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I get the whole social commentary aspect of what you are both saying, but someone who cant afford the car cant afford the car regardless of the tax break. Hence earn less, have less things. Not taking into account why that person may earn less of course - that's a different discussion.

The car and the tech is cutting edge. Its currently expensive. to drive a demand and hopefully improve environmental outcomes in the long term, tax breaks are being applied. Those that cant afford it cant benefit directly. I dont see the problem. What's the alternative? Give away teslas to healthcare card holders or low income households?

worth noting, people who cant afford the car haven't been denied a benefit from other environmental initiatives Home solar power comes to mind. Those earning "too much" dont get the full breath of rebates or access to no/low interest loans for that either.

Last edited: