Electric Vehicles etc

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Flow-Rider

Burner
Let's see how far EV prices drop in the future.
Vietnam EV maker VinFast to start construction of US factory next week

Vietnamese automaker VinFast said on Wednesday it would start construction of a $4 billion electric vehicle factory in North Carolina next week as part of its push to expand in the United States market.

The unit of Vietnam's largest conglomerate Vingroup (VIC.HM), which began operations in 2019, announced plans for the U.S. factory last year. It is targeting the start of production in 2025, a year later than its initial plan.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
That's like that video floating around of a ship with a whole heap of cars on the deck taken from the bridge and then showing all the cars burnt out. the claim that it was EVs that caused the fire but it's a really old video before there were any modern EVs available.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Currently doing sums on EV with novated lease at present.
Can't really see anything warranting it over a loan. Am i missing something?
ICE vehicle just 'died' and time to commit to EV is nigh.

BYD atto 3 extended for commuting duties.
Novated lease finance is @ 12.5% versus 5.9 % available elsewhere. No ballon at the end and same amount out of pocket it seems. Lease seems to be padded with much insurance product. BYD Dealer yet to get back to me about self managed lease...reckons he can do better %
Anyone here lease a vehicle?
Can't afford to buy outright at present as would take too much out of monopoly bank for comfort.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Leased quite a few cars in years past and leasing companies vary a lot. I ended up using Toyota for nearly all if not all. Doesn't matter what brand of car. The difference between Toyota and BMW for the M2 was amazing. After telling BMW they were way off they matched the monthly figure but had less in the kitty for fuel and tyres erc so Toyota was the far better deal. Ring around.

Oddjob

Leased quite a few cars in years past and leasing companies vary a lot. I ended up using Toyota for nearly all if not all. Doesn't matter what brand of car. The difference between Toyota and BMW for the M2 was amazing. After telling BMW they were way off they matched the monthly figure but had less in the kitty for fuel and tyres erc so Toyota was the far better deal. Ring around.
Was this for the same monthly cost?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Currently doing sums on EV with novated lease at present.
Can't really see anything warranting it over a loan. Am i missing something?
ICE vehicle just 'died' and time to commit to EV is nigh.

BYD atto 3 extended for commuting duties.
Novated lease finance is @ 12.5% versus 5.9 % available elsewhere. No ballon at the end and same amount out of pocket it seems. Lease seems to be padded with much insurance product. BYD Dealer yet to get back to me about self managed lease...reckons he can do better %
Anyone here lease a vehicle?
Can't afford to buy outright at present as would take too much out of monopoly bank for comfort.
The novated lease has the benefit of taking the payments from pre-tax income, and EVSs don't attract fringe benefits tax, so huge difference right there.

You can choose your own finance and insurance. If you get a good finance deal with BYD go with them, credit unions also tend to do good finance. As @Dales Cannon said check out Toyota finance as well.

Also shop around for insurance. Shannon's was better for us than IAG, GIO etc.

Servicing tyres etc are programmed cost items. You can choose where to go and simply lodge invoices. If you're spending more than estimated, then increase the monthly payments.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Thanks.
The quote from maxxia (who provide salary sacrifice service to employer) means X take home and loan repayments also equal X. I get the pre tax thing but take home $$ all that counts in the end. Both adjusted for running costs/ insurance (currently ~10k per annum mileage).
Only really seems a sweet deal for them and easy deal for punters who don't want to think too hard.
Def' looking around. ( and will swap out tyres before delivery Ozzy!)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
@Oddjob same monthly dollars. Leasing viability really depends on the deal. Go in with open eyes and compare to conventional finance. Toyota were great for me because I could load up maintenance which helped bring pre-tax $ down and then were very liberal with spending that. My M2 got coilovers at the end of the lease etc. A mate who used a finance based group had to hold the excess $ until the end and take it back as cash for which tax was payable.