Electric Vehicles etc

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mechanic rang today... "umm, the car is locked, the keys are inside.... don't know how it happened, can you try and unlock it?"

I rang back told them I locked it - the windows were down and the doors unlocked and the key apparently in it.
I remotely started the gts once when it was in the yard after a service. It had a cat back and tune and stuff and was a little louder than stock. It was fun watching people jump and the service guys trying to find who was nicking the car.

Scotty T

Walks the walk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We hired a Model 3 dual motor, 2019 Freemont built model with 93k km on it and did a Sydney return trip. Holy shit is it fast. I was mentioning the upgrade to go from 4.4 to 3.8 seconds or something that the dual motor has, but it's completely unesccesary for me, in fact the dual motor is uneccesary for me. The push back in your seat feeling is pretty similar in the RWD, just not quite as violent. For the trip across Canberra to return the car I put it in chill mode, probably for most driving in town that's the go, it's still very snappy for day to day driving. We had the battery down to about 20% near Canberra and stopped at Lake George, pulled back out and floored it with 360 odd kilos of people and luggage on board, that made it feel close to the RWD acceleration wise taking a couple of extra seconds to hit 100.

The car itself had held up well, the owner (this was through Evee so it's owned by an individual) had put in various after market upgrades which I didn't rate. Auto door closers were super annoying, they were being removed after my trip. Auto frunk open/close was also shit because you still had to push down to lock it. The "heads up" display which was just a touch screen mounted behind the wheel was cute, it has a power meter to show how many horses you were pulling at any one time, but otherwise was in the way, and restricted air coming out the vents. It also didn't show max speed in cruise mode, only speed limit and current speed so you had to switch to the other screen. He is removing that also.

The trim on the b pillar had come away and that is going to be replaced by Tesla but otherwise interior was good and the only rattly noise was on rough roads from the loose trim. The build quality is definitely not as bad as people on the internet like to say. Driving feel was very tight, no noise from suspension or bushes like the Golf has.

Did the self driving thing on the freeway, it liked to drive right in the middle or even slightly to the left of the lane which felt too close to cars when overtaking but it was impressive letting it overtake. It activated safety measures when a car with trailer started to wander into our lane was were coming up to pass it, reacted faster than me and applied just enough brake to not come up beside the offending car with a slight stter to the right of my lane, with beeping and handing control back to me. Overall quite impressive to experience it in life scenario. Mostly just used the smart cruise control as the car is very easy to steer on the freeway, and it's much less glitchy than when I used it in 2021.

I think the future will be a RWD of the new model on lease. I'm going to book a test drive of one.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy shit is it fast. I was mentioning the upgrade to go from 4.4 to 3.8 seconds or something that the dual motor has, but it's completely unesccesary for me, in fact the dual motor is uneccesary for me.
when accelerating from 0, i sometimes wish i had the LR, but when on a nice windy b-road the all the time torque in the rwd makes it so responsive and quite fun despite the weight

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
We hired a Model 3 dual motor, 2019 Freemont built model with 93k km on it and did a Sydney return trip. Holy shit is it fast. I was mentioning the upgrade to go from 4.4 to 3.8 seconds or something that the dual motor has, but it's completely unesccesary for me, in fact the dual motor is uneccesary for me. The push back in your seat feeling is pretty similar in the RWD, just not quite as violent. For the trip across Canberra to return the car I put it in chill mode, probably for most driving in town that's the go, it's still very snappy for day to day driving. We had the battery down to about 20% near Canberra and stopped at Lake George, pulled back out and floored it with 360 odd kilos of people and luggage on board, that made it feel close to the RWD acceleration wise taking a couple of extra seconds to hit 100.

The car itself had held up well, the owner (this was through Evee so it's owned by an individual) had put in various after market upgrades which I didn't rate. Auto door closers were super annoying, they were being removed after my trip. Auto frunk open/close was also shit because you still had to push down to lock it. The "heads up" display which was just a touch screen mounted behind the wheel was cute, it has a power meter to show how many horses you were pulling at any one time, but otherwise was in the way, and restricted air coming out the vents. It also didn't show max speed in cruise mode, only speed limit and current speed so you had to switch to the other screen. He is removing that also.

The trim on the b pillar had come away and that is going to be replaced by Tesla but otherwise interior was good and the only rattly noise was on rough roads from the loose trim. The build quality is definitely not as bad as people on the internet like to say. Driving feel was very tight, no noise from suspension or bushes like the Golf has.

Did the self driving thing on the freeway, it liked to drive right in the middle or even slightly to the left of the lane which felt too close to cars when overtaking but it was impressive letting it overtake. It activated safety measures when a car with trailer started to wander into our lane was were coming up to pass it, reacted faster than me and applied just enough brake to not come up beside the offending car with a slight stter to the right of my lane, with beeping and handing control back to me. Overall quite impressive to experience it in life scenario. Mostly just used the smart cruise control as the car is very easy to steer on the freeway, and it's much less glitchy than when I used it in 2021.

I think the future will be a RWD of the new model on lease. I'm going to book a test drive of one.
I sometimes sorta wish I used a car enough to justify one... Even with running around on weekends picking up building material and garden supplies with the trailer and driving to the trails, I'm still only putting petrol in it every 6 weeks tops.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Shoulda woulda coulda bought a VF SSV wagon new, enjoyed it for a year or three and flogged it off for what I paid for it.... Sigh.
Uh huh. I should've actually done what I wanted to do back in my 20s, mortgaged my brain and bought a Maloo, lived happily ever after doing skids then made money when I sold it. Ditto an R32 V-Spec II with about 12km on it I passed on. Moral of this story? Listen to your inner idiot. He knows.

Back on topic - brother took me for a fang in his new Model Y dual motor subsonic missile with wheels the other weekend. 3.7 seconds to 100km/h is dumb.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
when accelerating from 0, i sometimes wish i had the LR, but when on a nice windy b-road the all the time torque in the rwd makes it so responsive and quite fun despite the weight
Yeah, I didn't get to do a fang on windy roads in this one but the couple of times I put some pedal down for corners it was nowhere near the floor. You can still feel the torque in chill mode, you'll generally blast most petrol things across the intersection at the lights in chill before their clutching gearboxing and traction mechanisms can initialise and catch you up. I remember a bloke who had a Polo GTI and the Nissan Leaf would eat it 0-40 then taper off quickly.

Funny that bikes need limiting to 25kph but nearly every electric hatch is a 2t super car now.
If we applied the same logic to cars they'd all be limited to 110. EV's go no faster than normal cars, my golf will get close to 200, just not as quickly as the EV.

Torque from 0 and speed of light response with high efficiency means motors with heaps less power will give a better acceleration response. The Leaf example above, it's far from a supercar.

They are not way heavier either, the BYD atto weighs about the same as a RAV 4 in the short range version.

I sometimes sorta wish I used a car enough to justify one... Even with running around on weekends picking up building material and garden supplies with the trailer and driving to the trails, I'm still only putting petrol in it every 6 weeks tops.
But when you need a new car it would be nuts to go petrol, and eventually petrol will cost so much more.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
EV's go no faster than normal cars, my golf will get close to 200, just not as quickly as the EV.
I can only speak in the context of electric vehicles, you can't really restrict an amish bike!

They are not way heavier either, the BYD atto weighs about the same as a RAV 4 in the short range version.
I appreciate that not all EVs are all out performance models but there doesn't appear to be any restriction on them either.

Hyundai Ionic 5N weighs 2.2t and can do 260kph btw.