Electric Vehicles etc

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
On the flip-side, personal vehicle usage has taken a hiding thanks to COVID-19. That is probably a lot better environmentally overall.
Yes, maybe some of us will realise that it’s not absolutely necessary to travel as much as we used to, or we might just think fuck it, I’m going everywhere when this is all over before it happens again lol

Haakon

Keeps on digging
On the flip-side, personal vehicle usage has taken a hiding thanks to COVID-19. That is probably a lot better environmentally overall.
The kicker is the rebound - guess which tech will do all the catch up....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I really think that we as a whole should be required to have the recycle process build into the original design of a product. Not design and produce it and let someone else work that out later.
Bit of a chicken and egg situation though I think... Recycling methods still being sorted out, so hard to design to a method still under development on a commercial basis. Don't worry, they'll align quickly enough.

This already makes the whole vehicle no less recyclable than an ICE I suspect, just more value in recycling an EV in the materials being recovered.

But as mentioned by one of the german dudes, there are still materials that preclude 100% recycling and I suspect theyre important ones for making a pack efficient and economic... Might have to wear some non recyclability (is that a word...?) for a bit in pursuit of just getting them out into the mainstream.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Bit of a chicken and egg situation though I think... Recycling methods still being sorted out, so hard to design to a method still under development on a commercial basis. Don't worry, they'll align quickly enough.

This already makes the whole vehicle no less recyclable than an ICE I suspect, just more value in recycling an EV in the materials being recovered.

But as mentioned by one of the german dudes, there are still materials that preclude 100% recycling and I suspect theyre important ones for making a pack efficient and economic... Might have to wear some non recyclability (is that a word...?) for a bit in pursuit of just getting them out into the mainstream.
Yes it is good to see this happening, just hope it becomes mainstream. I've see dozens of stories about these plastic recycling plants (usually prototype plants) and how they can turn almost all plastic, especially soft plastics back into usable product but they never seem to eventuate of a large scale. Must be cheaper just to send to Asia:rolleyes:
I remember about 20 years ago I watched "New Inventors" on the ABC and seen this guy who had a prototype plant that could recycle pretty much 100% of a car or truck tyre. It mechanically removed the steel belts, dissolved the rubber to separate the fiber and could change the output from one petroleum based product to another depending on the demand. The plan was for councils to set up these plants and create and income from the processing and the sale of the byproducts. I thought at the time this was brilliant! Never heard of it again :(

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I worked for www.computerbank.org.au for quite a few years and one of my roles was managing the recycling of tonnes of e waste. We managed to find a recycling solution for nearly every type of material that came in. Once the time was taken to separate things properly most stuff ended up having a value. We found solutions for recycling some of the "too hard basket stuff" like polystyrene and mixed ungraded plastic, it's just a matter of putting the effort in.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Just more proof petrol is lame and big auto makers realise...
Ford must be hoping they can convince people of the same, cause sticking the Mustang name on that awkward looking mini-SUV POS is surely going to shake some of the rusted-on die-hards away from the brand. The ones that won't get offended by it don't give a crap about the Mustang "heritage" so why affix it to it at all?

I love the idea of electric vehicles, but frankly these types of vids piss me off. It's always drifting and AWD donuts and other stuff that looks "exciting" that a heavy, overpowered car can do easily. Easy marketing but can't help but notice they skipped right over trying to show any "dynamics" in the handling section of the vid, just gave us a couple of sections of a taking a mild corner against a yank-tank at half-throttle. Too heavy for any actual handling test it would seem. Would love to know the range of this vehicle, bet it's not much.

Sorry Scotty, if you love it that's cool - but just felt too frothy for me. I want an electric vehicle with decent performance, but I'm much more interested in range, reliability and feature set than whatever this is trying to be...

slowmick

38-39"
@beeb - imagine how boring Gone in 60 seconds would be without the eleventy million gear shifts....

Ps - Mustangs don't have 4 doors. Same goes for Chargers.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm more excited that they have thrown this up against their racey petrol variants admitting that electric equals or betters.

I hate SUVs and in particular this breed of hot SUV. Ford are hardly the only guilty party, BMW are making some of the ugliest shit I've seen according to my taste but Karens both female and male love them.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I am not in anyway saying electric can't/ won't /doesn't outperform internal combustion, but not one of those 'substandard' race vehicles were being driven at anywhere near their performance limits. It's going to take much more than smoke and an empty race track to convince actual drivers.

Plus that noise was fucking horrid :eek: