Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You are on a different planet mate.

Intimidation factor ??? Maybe talk to your own therapist. Only 30% of Australian roads are sealed, now if you can live you life in the concrete, thats fine but some of us actually travel other places than between major cities on tarmac that may even have charging points for the EV you dont have.

If it doesn't suit you, fine. Drive your Euro shitboxes and be happy.
30%…? Ok, well maybe it’s a bit different in SA… I thought Hobart roads were pretty bad, but they’re sealed. I grew up out in the bush 8kms up a bush track, and our Euro cars did just fine.

Dunno. I just don’t get how wrangling two tonnes of agricultural machinery around at speed is fun or comfortable. A challenge and fun in its way, sure. But not particularly or objectively good…

Haakon

Anyway, you’d have to be on a different planet to think most people buy those stupid things for objectively practical or sensible reasons. Most are bought for the ego factor. People think they’re “cool”. The defensiveness and reels of reverse engineered “justifications” are just a bit silly…

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
our Euro cars did just fine.
Not arguing that fact, we can make do with a lot less than we think we need.

We were brought up in the 80's, me and my 2 brothers in the back of a Mini Metro. My dad had 3 of them before upgrading to a Maestro.

Cars will do the job, but do they do it well... if you can afford better and would like better, why not do it. We are only here for short time, if you have worked hard and like something, get it.

Mini Metro for 5, sometimes even had a 2 mates, 1 in the front, 3 in the back and youngest bro in the boot.

Mini-Metro.jpg

Haakon

Not arguing that fact, we can make do with a lot less than we think we need.

We were brought up in the 80's, me and my 2 brothers in the back of a Mini Metro. My dad had 3 of them before upgrading to a Maestro.

Cars will do the job, but do they do it well... if you can afford better and would like better, why not do it. We are only here for short time, if you have worked hard and like something, get it.

Mini Metro for 5, sometimes even had a 2 mates, 1 in the front, 3 in the back and youngest bro in the boot.

View attachment 408764
Just that in my albeit limited experience a ranger or cruiser is not actually a better experience… I’d rather daily drive that Metro than a ranger :)
I jsut don’t get the appeal of the top heavy ponderous things. It’s not comfortable to me the feeling of fightjng physics.

ozzybmx

Most of the dual cab utes have a massive turning circle, saying that I had a deposit down for the new Raptor before pulling it when they tried to up the price.

Was happy to keep the LC, will be driving this car for the next 7-8 yrs.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Just that in my albeit limited experience a ranger or cruiser is not actually a better experience… I’d rather daily drive that Metro than a ranger :)
I jsut don’t get the appeal of the top heavy ponderous things. It’s not comfortable to me the feeling of fightjng physics.
Out of curiosity - what was the latest/least worst dual-cab you've driven?

Small cars aren't automatically good either sadly. I drove a new (demo car) Honda [edit] City back in '09 and was the most dangerous vehicle I have ever driven to this day (it had just endless bucketloads, and swathes of understeer at all speeds), but I bought the same-year Honda Civic sedan and it was ridiculously excellent handling - even more given the price point and how hard I continually thrashed that car over the next 5 years (*swoon*). If it'd had slightly sturdier front suspension arms/bushes/balljoints/links and slightly wider/grippier tyres it would've shamed many (more) reasonably quick "performance" cars on a winding road. My current Cerato is a bit of a dunger when it comes to handling though - proving to be understeer-led but with a tendency towards snap oversteer if having to be thrown from side to side (or skimming over bumpy road surfaces).

I've driven a couple of recent Hiluxes. One was terrible with an awkward, jarring, top-heavy ride (must've had a heavy-duty suspension pack in it), then the next year's (ie: current) model, which had good road holding and felt very sorted by comparison. Boss's current Ranger (mid-spec) drives stupidly nice for what it is underneath. The second of the Hiluxes or the new Ranger are better (with road-holding/dynamic body control) than my Cerato on road (and would obliterate it off-road).

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
You are on a different planet mate.

Intimidation factor ??? Maybe talk to your own therapist. Only 30% of Australian roads are sealed, now if you can live you life in the concrete, thats fine but some of us actually travel other places than between major cities on tarmac that may even have charging points for the EV you dont have.

If it doesn't suit you, fine. Drive your Euro shitboxes and be happy.
Serious question , how did we use to manage 20 years ago before these dual cabs were even a thing ?

After seeing how people drive these things and getting stuck on a mountain road for several hours after one of these things flipped I’m 100% with hakkers on this.

Bring on the so called “Ute tax” as anyone who genuinely needs one to tow toys has money , and everyone else can reconsider their poor choices

ozzybmx

Serious question , how did we use to manage 20 years ago before these dual cabs were even a thing ?

After seeing how people drive these things and getting stuck on a mountain road for several hours after one of these things flipped I’m 100% with hakkers on this.

Bring on the so called “Ute tax” as anyone who genuinely needs one to tow toys has money , and everyone else can reconsider their poor choices
Mate, there were dickheads in Commodores and Falcon utes, dont generalise people who drive 4WD's.

The world has better choices and options, if you have the chance to write a fancy ute/van off to tax... well good on you.

I don't by the way but I get a tax bill of $4-5K every year. I have no hospital cover and my shack is not rented out, only for me.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Mate, there were dickheads in Commodores and Falcon utes, dont generalise people who drive 4WD's.

The world has better choices and options, if you have the chance to write a fancy ute/van off to tax... well good on you.

I don't by the way but I get a tax bill of $4-5K every year. I have no hospital cover and my shack is not rented out, only for me.
Correct and I’m glad you mentioned those two vehicles specifically, because once you take out genuine off road ability and towing (which 98 per cent of people never actually do either of which , regardless of the fantasy world people like to live in) , those are actually far superior in every way than the modern dual cab.

Its a bit naive to suggest there isn’t some element of fashion, ego, perceived safety from being in a taller car and intimidation that isn’t driving the popularity of them and that all these people genuinely need them. It would be better if people just straight up said “I like coz big and tuff”. I can’t think of anywhere else in the world apart from America with similar popularity in these types of vehicles and IMO it does need to be addressed culturally and or through policy changes .

I don’t really understand the relevance of your last point but any tax concessions on these vehicles needs to be limited and genuine use , and have been far too generous in recent years.[/QUOTE]

ozzybmx

Correct and I’m glad you mentioned those two vehicles specifically, because once you take out genuine off road ability and towing (which 98 per cent of people never actually do either of which , regardless of the fantasy world people like to live in) , those are actually far superior in every way than the modern dual cab.

Its a bit naive to suggest there isn’t some element of fashion, ego, perceived safety from being in a taller car and intimidation that isn’t driving the popularity of them and that all these people genuinely need them. It would be better if people just straight up said “I like coz big and tuff”. I can’t think of anywhere else in the world apart from America with similar popularity in these types of vehicles and IMO it does need to be addressed culturally and or through policy changes .

I don’t really understand the relevance of your last point but any tax concessions on these vehicles needs to be limited and genuine use , and have been far too generous in recent years
Blah blah Jimbo TLDR, have you ever driven a commo over the Simpson ?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Have been looking at the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for the next family hauler. Would love an all electric van but $100k+. As we only do one car we need the option for 7 seats even if the rear seats are shit.
Would be leased so that makes the cost similar to the petrol version and most of our driving is short stuff around town. Ive looked at the Kia and Toyota Kluger but they dont seem to stack up against the outlander. Anything Im missing?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I drive rough dirt roads every single day. During winter I use 4wd multiple times every week. During Summer, I can sometimes go weeks without needing to engage 4x4.

Even out here, I am in the minority. Most drive on asphalt all the time. Yet still feel the need for a massive dual cab to drop the kids to school.

How often do others here, with 4x4 capabilities, need to engage 4wd in their daily commute, or trip to the holiday cabin?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I drive rough dirt roads every single day. During winter I use 4wd multiple times every week. During Summer, I can sometimes go weeks without needing to engage 4x4.

Even out here, I am in the minority. Most drive on asphalt all the time. Yet still feel the need for a massive dual cab to drop the kids to school.

How often do others here, with 4x4 capabilities, need to engage 4wd in their daily commute, or trip to the holiday cabin?
Instead of using and justifying use of 4wd have you tried just sending it through the mud? I had a KE Laser, mannnn that thing went some places...only once it needed a nudge with a bullbar from a mates Disco when it got beached on the chassis rails.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Have been looking at the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for the next family hauler. Would love an all electric van but $100k+. As we only do one car we need the option for 7 seats even if the rear seats are shit.
Would be leased so that makes the cost similar to the petrol version and most of our driving is short stuff around town. Ive looked at the Kia and Toyota Kluger but they dont seem to stack up against the outlander. Anything Im missing?
Does the PHEV version come with seven seats now? I only ask because the old ones didn't. Anyway I have one of the first Gen of these. Has now racked up 160K with no mechanical issues. The main issue with them is that because they have a small battery it wears fast because you are using it hard. We can only get around 20km of EV range now (was around 35-40 to begin with), and the motor cuts in earlier when power is demanded. A mate has a newer version and it's an improvement as the electric motors are more powerful. Anyway if your town driving day to day stuff is less than 25km then they are worth a look in I reckon

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Does the PHEV version come with seven seats now? I only ask because the old ones didn't. Anyway I have one of the first Gen of these. Has now racked up 160K with no mechanical issues. The main issue with them is that because they have a small battery it wears fast because you are using it hard. We can only get around 20km of EV range now (was around 35-40 to begin with), and the motor cuts in earlier when power is demanded. A mate has a newer version and it's an improvement as the electric motors are more powerful. Anyway if your town driving day to day stuff is less than 25km then they are worth a look in I reckon

Yep there's a 7 seat Outlander PHEV.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Thanks @rangersac we have had Mitsubishis before and they just worked so willing to give this a try. You can get the 7 seats in the PHEV version now, not a lot of room but enough for kids when necessary.
It comes with a 20kWh battery which gets about 80-90km if your careful with your driving so plenty for running around town etc.