Electric Vehicles etc

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
How often do others here, with 4x4 capabilities, need to engage 4wd in their daily commute, or trip to the holiday cabin?
I feel attacked :p

BUT

tenor.gif

I drive a Suzuki swift 90% of the time I'm commuting and only use the Hilux if I'm camping, towing a boat/caravan or carting bikes (without needing an illegal bike rack hanging off the back)

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Never driven the Simpson. Same as 99 per cent of the population. But maybe I’ll drop 80k on a piece of farm equipment for the daily office commute on the extremely unlikely event that one day I will.
80k, oh you sweet summer child. If you want the cruiser its 100k+ and if you get the hilux or ranger your going to need at least 20k worth of necessary "offroad extras" to make it tough enough to go on the graded gravel roads.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Thanks @rangersac we have had Mitsubishis before and they just worked so willing to give this a try. You can get the 7 seats in the PHEV version now, not a lot of room but enough for kids when necessary.
It comes with a 20kWh battery which gets about 80-90km if your careful with your driving so plenty for running around town etc.
Yeah definitely worth a crack if the battery is 20kW. I always thought the sweet spot for these cars would be if you could have an electric range of around 100km. I suspect your realistic range will be more like 75km though unless you are doing 60kph or less for your drive. At the end of the day they are big heavy cars with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I feel attacked

BUT

View attachment 408768

I drive a Suzuki swift 90% of the time I'm commuting and only use the Hilux if I'm camping, towing a boat/caravan or carting bikes (without needing an illegal bike rack hanging off the back)
I envy you. I want to drive a swift/barina type car, particularly ev. Currently, they wouldn't even make it up my driveway.

#futuregoals

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Blah blah Jimbo TLDR, have you ever driven a commo over the Simpson ?
I think that was his point @ozzybmx

We're probably an edge case for "needing" the Colorado, but Mrs George regularly carries animals and associated things, plus if we tried hard enough (and sold a couple of kids) we could camp and take bikes without the trailer.

How often do others here, with 4x4 capabilities, need to engage 4wd in their daily commute, or trip to the holiday cabin?
I do. Well not on the commute but on farm out here it's really sandy, and over Griffith way is very clay based. Mega fun, ah, slippery when wet.

80k, oh you sweet summer child. If you want the cruiser its 100k+ and if you get the hilux or ranger your going to need at least 20k worth of necessary "offroad extras" to make it tough enough to go on the graded gravel roads.
Yeah, dunno. My Hilux is a rental, it's taking a beating just fine!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Have been looking at the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for the next family hauler. Would love an all electric van but $100k+. As we only do one car we need the option for 7 seats even if the rear seats are shit.
Would be leased so that makes the cost similar to the petrol version and most of our driving is short stuff around town. Ive looked at the Kia and Toyota Kluger but they dont seem to stack up against the outlander. Anything Im missing?
The Outlander is on its own if you want PHEV and seven seats. Dropping down to five seats gets PHEVs from Mazda and Peugeot. Dropping back to plain hybrid also adds Mazda to Kia, Hyundai and Toyota.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
The Outlander is on its own if you want PHEV and seven seats. Dropping down to five seats gets PHEVs from Mazda and Peugeot. Dropping back to plain hybrid also adds Mazda to Kia, Hyundai and Toyota.
Pretty sure Kia and Toyota have 7 seat hybrid options but they dont have the same value as the Outlander from what Im seeing.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah, dunno. My Hilux is a rental, it's taking a beating just fine!
Driven plenty of stock hilux's in the Kimberley and they have always been great. I was more poking fun at the jet ski crowd with the hi lift jack, shovel and recovery tracks bolted on in the woolies carpark. Remember seeing one where the bolts were completely rusted on and laughing at the thought of having to get them unstuck when needing to recover the car. Also driving behind a ranger where the recovery tracks were so UV damaged they would disintegrate if you tried to use them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Could say the same about the dozens and dozens of 160/170mm travel bikes I see every ride on the local trails
Might be 1 bike riders, owning one to cover all bases.
Does the same still apply if someone wears a full face on XC trails, the 4X4 equivalent of MaxTrax on the roof for the school pick up.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
You need to commission one of those trail building companies.

They'll make your driveway a 3 lane motorway in no time!
Nahhhhh. I like the Jehovah's witnesses to work hard to get to the house, before turning tail and running from the clearly Godless heathens that must live in such Gomorrah like conditions.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Nahhhhh. I like the Jehovah's witnesses to work hard to get to the house, before turning tail and running from the clearly Godless heathens that must live in such Gomorrah like conditions.
My Mum used to really enjoy bringing them in, feeding them tea and biscuits and asking earnest questions of them. As the local hippie pagans, the JWs used to come out to try to save them quite often.

Eventually they got sick of being unable to answer the pointed questions about the bible etc as Mum knew it way better than they did and had all the juicier contradictions etc memorised for such entertaining situations :) I think Mum was a bit let down when they gave up and left the hippie witches alone...

Freediver

I can go full Karen
My Mum used to really enjoy bringing them in, feeding them tea and biscuits and asking earnest questions of them. As the local hippie pagans, the JWs used to come out to try to save them quite often.

Eventually they got sick of being unable to answer the pointed questions about the bible etc as Mum knew it way better than they did and had all the juicier contradictions etc memorised for such entertaining situations :) I think Mum was a bit let down when they gave up and left the hippie witches alone...
I did similar but they always said no to a cuppa but would have water. They don't come anymore because I'm obviously the spawn of Satan but according to a mate that was raised as a JW, one day they will. When they do it will be the foot in the door type who are going to save my soul regardless of what I think. Bring it on I say and if they can leave without doubting their faith they will have done well.