Enduro in the snow.

moorey

call me Mia
Back in my day, DH races ran hell or high water. I think a bit has changed in last 15 years, with erosion and land protection concerns (or maybe just better built tracks).
Question on my mind is, are they going to run the Enduro at Buller this weekend with the forecast if it eventuates? It's my big weekend away for the year, but am I likely to be stymied? Is there a precedent for this type of weather? Been too long between races for me :behindsofa:
image.jpg

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Back in my day, DH races ran hell or high water. I think a bit has changed in last 15 years, with erosion and land protection concerns (or maybe just better built tracks).
Question on my mind is, are they going to run the Enduro at Buller this weekend with the forecast if it eventuates? It's my big weekend away for the year, but am I likely to be stymied? Is there a precedent for this type of weather? Been too long between races for me :behindsofa:
View attachment 311936
Do they shuttle on the lifts? or by car?

If they shuttle by lifts your main concern may be the wind and lifts being on wind hold like they do on windy days mid snow season.

moorey

call me Mia
Do they shuttle on the lifts? or by car?

If they shuttle by lifts your main concern may be the wind and lifts being on wind hold like they do on windy days mid snow season.
Yeah, never considered that. Lifts, I thought.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hope it goes ahead, last race of the year for me (I don't pedal much). Actually looking forward to the novelty of competing in the snow. Buller management are the only ones who can answer your question really. The mountain is geared up for snow, I see heavy rain doing more erosion damage and as far as I know the lifts and shuttles still ran this season during rain. I did get stuck on the chairlift this year though during a lightening storm as they lost power and it took them some time to get the generator going. Was an interesting 15 minutes swinging on a chair in the rain on a metal seat and cable while lightening strikes flashing about.
I'd say wind and storm activity may be the bigger concerns, but I'm only guessing.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There's a few ways of looking at it.
-Typically, the Australian social riding scene seems to carry the voice of the people who allege to build trails that say it's criminal to ride them in the wet. I say they are just poor trail builders.
-Some clubs try to encourage new members to come along on build days. These clubs say that your membership money goes into new trails but you still can't ride them even if rain or dew or snow is forecast in the next 365 days.
-A lot of clubs will update their precious Facebook page to say the trails are closed, it's been raining and your reckless enthusiasm is ruining the trails! When it comes time to stage a race and the rain has left the place a bit muddy, fuck it, we'll run it because we're good c#@ts and we're here for the people! We have money in the bank and money makes our trails great!

My perspective is this: You can build trails that can be ridden in or after the rain. Yeah, you'll get some signs of trail use from riders but hey, isn't that the intention? Any dedicated trail builder will know that the best trails are planned during a bit rain and maintenance is best done while the joint is wet. People who think their belonging to a club gives them a voice of what other people should and shouldn't do on a trail that they have done nothing to plan and erect can eat the dog shit off the sole of their shoe.
In a Dennis Denuto voice "In summary, if the transport can get you to the top then yeah, ride the trail". :sing:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A little snow on your goggles as you fly down bulla/buller is probably just blow drifting out of a passing commodore.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
A little snow on your goggles as you fly down bulla/buller is probably just blow drifting out of a passing commodore.
There's no snow in the western suburbs.
Only ice.

As for DH in the snow? If it's cold enough you won't have to worry about erosion. The ground'll be frozen solid.

Word of warning though as I learned many a time as a kid doing my paper round in winter, it really hurts when you come off..

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
I'm in the same boat, we have our big downhill weekend for the year planned at Thredbo this weekend...I kept putting it back cause I was hoping my new bike would be ready. Genius plan that was, new bike isn't ready and this is what Thredbo currently looks like.

Thredbo snow.jpg

I'm hoping that common sense takes over and they just let people ride the trails, last weekend of the year, so who cares the're about to be buried under (more) snow anyhow!

Markee

Likes Dirt
I too would like an answer but from all accounts on the Alpine Gravity site and My Mountain Insta page is that it's going ahead. Milwaukee heated jacket anyone?

moorey

call me Mia
There's no snow in the western suburbs.
Only ice.

As for DH in the snow? If it's cold enough you won't have to worry about erosion. The ground'll be frozen solid.

Word of warning though as I learned many a time as a kid doing my paper round in winter, it really hurts when you come off..
Thumb is already fractured. What could go wrong? :noidea:

moorey

call me Mia
Moore to boast about when you fuck over the other thumb.....and other parts of that ripped body....

:director:
I have exactly 2 chances of both the bike and I escaping unscathed this weekend.
1. Buckleys
2. None

I don't think I'm even up to riding abom and international upright on a sunny, dry summer day any more.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I have exactly 2 chances of both the bike and I escaping unscathed this weekend.
1. Buckleys
2. None

I don't think I'm even up to riding abom and international upright on a sunny, dry summer day any more.
If you die, first dibs on the contents of your shed.

slowmick

38-39"
Reckon it'll be all go. Blue Dirt ran shuttles both days this weekend with a forecast of 130mm rain Saturday and snow on Sunday. it was nice and sunny on Sunday but a balmy 1°C. Still plenty of people happy to ride.