Evans Cycles no longer shipping to Australia!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
had average service from evans over years, if crc and wiggle go the same way then yep its back to dealing with local shops who have no idea and have inflated prices on stuff you know is half that online. I've just finished doing a crc order on all the parts I usually need, tyres, chains, etc etc.

10% extra would really be nothing - it's the lack of competition and cartel prices that will be back with the distributors adding their 50%.
I doubt Wiggle would pull the pin. They do a huge amount of business here. All I hope is that Wiggle, Pushy’s mtb direct etc will keep each other honest.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
chrisjc try buying sram on overseas sites - wiggles, crc, blocked if au. so they're already prepared to be bullied by distributors.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
chrisjc try buying sram on overseas sites - wiggles, crc, blocked if au. so they're already prepared to be bullied by distributors.
Yep, I know! Have purvhased a few sets of RS forks from ze Germans but that well is drying up fast!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How the hell are the government actually going to enforce it? If CRC or the Germans don't want to give up the sales, who's actually going to make them disclose the level of business they do?

Given that there's not going to be any current change to the flow of goods across the border, the bigger guys will just keep on going as per normal I reckon.
I doubt they can; but no doubt the correspondence to all companies above the 75k threshold would be full of threats of blocking and returning goods! Threats alone will cause many to just say “fuck it” and block Au sales!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Problem will be... it won't just be 10%. Aus Gov expecting these companies to charge 10% extra, keep records, admin of accounts, then send the Aus Gov a big fat cheque at the end of the year with exchange rate fees.
I reckon it will be like when countries introduce VAT/GST taxes... we'll see a 20% hike.
And the smaller companies that are not registered, do they hike by 5-10% and enjoy more profit.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Problem will be... it won't just be 10%. Aus Gov expecting these companies to charge 10% extra, keep records, admin of accounts, then send the Aus Gov a big fat cheque at the end of the year with exchange rate fees.
I reckon it will be like when countries introduce VAT/GST taxes... we'll see a 20% hike.
And the smaller companies that are not registered, do they hike by 5-10% and enjoy more profit.
It never is, even when they introduced GST here people used it as an excuse to put prices up even though they weren't supposed to. I wonder how many companies will tell them to F-Off when they try to charge interest on late payments.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I fear a negligible boost in revenue (probably entirely eaten up by extra expenditure within govt to police it) and a huge amount of inconvenience for the consumer.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just threw one last order in with Evans, had the best price for some XTR bits and a hope cassette, I generally only buy from the Germans or Merlins lately (plus the local onliners). Shit is going to get worse I imagine, time to stock up on the consumables!

D01

Likes Dirt
No wonder there's so much confusion about this, Scott Morrison apparently doesn't fully grasp the issue himself.

Talking to 3AW he says: "So multinationals shouldn't be subject to GST? I mean how many times do people ring up your program and say 'multinationals should pay their fair share of tax''?

Multinationals aren't paying this GST, Australian consumers are.

scblack

Leucocholic
No wonder there's so much confusion about this, Scott Morrison apparently doesn't fully grasp the issue himself.

Talking to 3AW he says: "So multinationals shouldn't be subject to GST? I mean how many times do people ring up your program and say 'multinationals should pay their fair share of tax''?

Multinationals aren't paying this GST, Australian consumers are.
Yes, they do pay the GST. As a registered company, they then can claim it back in their BAS/IAS.

Technically ScoMo is correct.:D

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, they do pay the GST. As a registered company, they then can claim it back in their BAS/IAS.

Technically ScoMo is correct.:D
Not quite.

Business sells product A, they collect 10% GST from this, and hand it to the government. At no point does the business PAY the gst, only passing along what they have collected from the consumer.

GST credits come when the business incurs charges that include GST in the process of buying/producing a product for sale that they also charge a consumer GST for.

Its similar in the way PAYG payroll tax is not tax that has been paid. It is an amount that has been withheld on your behalf prior to the EOFY to make sure you have enough to cover your tax obligations.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
ScoMo and Gerry Harvey can both get fucked.
Awe... c'mon Gerry is the victim in all this. The poor guy woulda seen his profits slip back a little if we hadn't changed the laws to protect his 'struggling' retail business. It's gotta be very stressful for the guy not having complete control of the market.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Reactions: T.3

scblack

Leucocholic
Not quite.

Business sells product A, they collect 10% GST from this, and hand it to the government. At no point does the business PAY the gst, only passing along what they have collected from the consumer.

GST credits come when the business incurs charges that include GST in the process of buying/producing a product for sale that they also charge a consumer GST for.

Its similar in the way PAYG payroll tax is not tax that has been paid. It is an amount that has been withheld on your behalf prior to the EOFY to make sure you have enough to cover your tax obligations.
Technically, myself and ScoMo are correct.

All businesses pay an Australian invoice for their supplies, in full INCLUDING the GST 10%. They do PAY the GST in that process. IF - and it is a very important IF - IF they are registered for GST and meet several standard requirements, THEN they are able to re-claim that GST paid in their next BAS/IAS statement.

I am talking about invoices for supply to the business - you are talking about sales by the business to their customer.

Registered businesses reclaim the GST paid on EVERY invoice they pay - there is NO link between the payment by the business and any connection to the consumer. If what you said was true - all wholesalers or any business selling to another business could not reclaim their GST.

I am playing with semantics in a way - but sorry you are simply wrong to say a business does not pay the GST. ALL businesses pay the GST, but the standard is that they can then reclaim that GST paid in their BAS/IAS.:D

ozzybmx

It never is, even when they introduced GST here people used it as an excuse to put prices up even though they weren't supposed to.
Same when they introduced VAT in the Republic of Ireland, we used to head down there occasionally for a weekends partying, they done the VAT transition and seriously, prices near doubled overnight.

D01

Likes Dirt
Semantics aside, I think we can agree Morrisons' being dishonest by trying to tie a tax aimed at Australian consumers with multinationals avoiding tax by profit shifting.

ozzybmx

Semantics aside, I think we can agree Morrisons' being dishonest by trying to tie a tax aimed at Australian consumers with multinationals avoiding tax by profit shifting.
Read this... http://sjm.ministers.treasury.gov.au/media-release/056-2017/

I keep looking up at his smug lying picture after every paragraph and want to punch him in the face, then after the last paragraph, I lost it and went to town on him.
I don't bother with politics but I've never read so much shit in my life.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was just going through all the digital products I purchase from overseas and I just can’t see smaller companies bothering to comply. And in fairness a lot of them would have no idea they need to collect gst. I get the feeling a shit tonne of small/medium businesses will simply claim the below $75k threshold and keep on keeping on. The ato can barely manage home affairs let alone check how much product o/s businesses are selling in oz.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Soon there will be yachts floating about the Pacific packed with bike parts instead of cocaine, crewed by instagram models who will take the rap when border force intercepts them.