AM Evil Following

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Interested to see some outdoors shots.

I'm sure the camera and lighting here makes that orange look way more pale than it really is.

Looks great though. :nod:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still no better pics, but I took it on its maiden ride tonight. Mounted a bottle holder on it with a full size bottle and it works fine.

Bike felt nice on the local trails. Riding around here is basically flat XC loops so no reports on the DH capabilities yet. Although I will say that the couple of switchbacks on the loop I rode didn't feel any harder than with my 26" hardtail. It also cornered like a beast with the 40mm wide rims. Rolling resistance was hard to pick as the rain here turns the ground really soft so it felt like riding in sand in some parts which is the same with the 26er. But on the harder parts and the bitumen it felt heaps quicker and didn't notice any extra resistance to my other bike. For reference I was running 20psi front 24psi rear.

Overall I'm super happy with it so far, no issues with fit on the ride. Looking forward to Sunday to finally ride it up some hills, do some downhills and actually ride it during the day!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
40mm rims are amazing for cornering, chuck down the pressure and just throw it into corners. Once you've done some DH, let me know how the zelvy's feel. Keen for some on the big rig but haven't found any decent reviews yet. Looks awesome man!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cleaned the mud off it today ready for tomorrow's ride. Finally, some daytime pictures!

Weighs in at 12.7kg with the hanging scales.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Those tires and head tube look fricken huuuuuuge.........
What's the theory behind all the pivots and shock down so low ?
Nice bike by the way :rockon:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a heap of information on Evils site under the 'tech' tab. Basically it's Dave Weagles newest suspension platform called the Delta link. Basically a different way of doing a single pivot shock setup but I'm no engineer, you'd have to read the information on the site.

I can say after today's ride that it feels like a whole lot more than 120mm in the rear. In fact I never felt it bottom one but the o-ring is definitely at the bottom of its travel so I'm pretty happy with how it feels. Climbing performance was great although I noticed a little wandering from the front end on the steepest of climbs. But I'll be the first to point out in still running the Pike at 140mm which sits the HA at 66°. Will be dropping the fork down to 130mm one the LBS gets the new air shaft in. On the downs the bike rips! I did notice the 29" wheels on the fast corners felt a bit harder to lean into the side knobs but I got used to it pretty quickly and soon forgot about it. The wide rims with fat tyres had gobs of traction. I'm actually really surprised by them, I didn't think I'd notice much difference from my Arch rims but it was pretty incredible. I guess going from 26 to 29" wheels accentuates that a bit but I'd be recommending wide wheels as an upgrade to any bike over most other things.

Basically the bike exceeded my expectations. But I guess that's a given with most bikes once you start spending that kind of money. I'll keep the thread updated with pictures and details the more I ride it!

loc81

Likes Dirt
Thanks for posting- your situation sounds like what I'm trying to save for quite soon. I've ridden a Cotic BFe (160/120 talas fork and a ready for anything build) for about 2 years and only recently started to get the dual suspension urge again just for some fun rides or NZ trips where the downs are super long and fatiguing. The Cotic is such a versatile bike, I really don't want to just fall into the 160mm travel category if it's going to be too much bike! I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you got to this bike and other bikes you were looking at etc. cheers!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for posting- your situation sounds like what I'm trying to save for quite soon. I've ridden a Cotic BFe (160/120 talas fork and a ready for anything build) for about 2 years and only recently started to get the dual suspension urge again just for some fun rides or NZ trips where the downs are super long and fatiguing. The Cotic is such a versatile bike, I really don't want to just fall into the 160mm travel category if it's going to be too much bike! I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you got to this bike and other bikes you were looking at etc. cheers!
I had a very similar thought process. When I bought my Soul frame it was intended to be a stop gap in between bikes that I would build with spare bits whilst I saved for a "160mm Enduro" bike. But after I got it finished I fell in love with what it was capable of. Super quick in the XC stuff around home and still super capable when I took it up to the bigger stuff like Buller. I ended up upgrading nearly everything on it to new gear and ran it at 100mm, 120mm and 140mm of travel.

The only time I really felt the need for rear suspension was doing shuttle runs at Buller, after 3 days of previous riding including the Epic so I was already pretty fatigued. But after that weekend I thought "I need rear suspension and 160mm would be overkill for me".

I actually started looking at the Knolly Endorphin but there was no frames left in my size and the Warden looked a little overkill for me. The other bike I looked at was the Norco sight but I just didn't "love" the bike. I actually ended up buying a small Endorphin for the wife which is built with a Pike and carbon hoops but that's for another build thread

For some reason I started looking at 29ers. I have a friend who rides a Rocky Mountain Instinct BC 29er and it was following him down runs that opened my eyes to them. I was having to pedal just to keep up with him freewheeling and anytime we hit a rock garden my bike would almost slow to a stop while his bike would just float over them. I know riding a hardtail has probably more to do with the rock garden problem than the wheel size but it was a stark contrast on the trail either way.

The other bikes on my short list where the Banshee Prime and Phantom, RM Instinct, Ibis Ripley and towards the end the newly announced Canfield Riot.

In the end I just couldn't shake the Evil after I kept reading ride reports and seeing new builds. I'm sure any of those bikes would be a great ride though. Interestingly Ibis just released details on a longer Ripley that looks pretty nice and brings the geometry into the current and there's rumors of Knolly thinking of a short travel 29er (hype!) So you never know, I'm a bit of a bike whore and might get tempted to swap around haha.

loc81

Likes Dirt
I had a very similar thought process. When I bought my Soul frame it was intended to be a stop gap in between bikes that I would build with spare bits whilst I saved for a "160mm Enduro" bike..
Once you see how good a hard tail can be, and value for relatively little money, it's bloody hard work picking your next bike huh!
One bike lately that has had me drooling was the Transition Scout with its shorter travel but relaxed geometry.
I had a similar experience as your biller trip but I was in Queenstown. As you know, it's do-able but knocks you around. Funnily enough, I don't regret bringing the Cotic that much because there is so much AM/XC stuff to ride around QT as well.
With family and house renovations getting in the way, finances play a big part in my next buy unfortunately. I live and can appreciate higher end bikes (I used to have a Pivot) but goddamit these prices get out of hand quick.
6-7k on a small brand or 4k on a run out Giant (even if not as efficient or whatever) and 2k on a bike holiday??

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I went a little crazy with this build lol. But I know exactly what you mean. I have no qualms riding my hardtail down some pretty hairy stuff but after a few days it was just a little exhausting. So that was my main justification for going a short travel 29er.

I wanted a bike that could handle all day epics without feeling like the bike was slowing me down on climbs and flats. But also something that was a heap of fun on the downs. So I wasn't after a race bred 29er but something slack and fun and it seems it's a category that's just getting underway so it'll be interesting to see what's on the horizon. The Following certainly is a lot of fun and so far it's faster on the flats and climbs than my 26" Soul and more capable on the downs. So no downsides other than price at the moment.

Good luck with the hunt!

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Great looking bike, I was very interested in trying to get one of these earlier in the year after trying out a Kona Process 111. I too think these short travel but fun geometry 29ers are the future for me.

NoFilter

Likes Dirt
Super nice bike you've built up there slider! With such a slack seat tube do you ever feel like you're too far behind the bb for the bike to pedal well?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just spent a couple of days with some friends up in Albury/Woodonga. Did the steepest climbing I've done with the bike so far and I can't complain about any knee issues regarding the STA.

Rode Hunchback in Woodonga, Flame Trees in Beechworth and a loop of the Beechworth MTB park. Has been pretty wet here but the bike had tons of confidence on the downs and it climbed really well. In fact out of the saddle climbs are insane, so much grip that I didn't get any slips up rocky switchbacks. A touch wandery in really steep seated climbs but it's currently running the fork at 140mm instead of the recommended 130mm so I expect that to get a bit better, but it wasn't something I had to fight at all, front wheel never wanted to lift or anything crazy.

Hope to get another ride in tomorrow pending weather, will see.

Of course a small stop at the Beechworth pub for some beer tasting.

It did hail while we where there though...