Evolutionary stages

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
And here it is...

DSC_2084~2.jpg

There won't be any changes for a while, unless something suffers a catastrophic failure.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All right then...so in its current form the bike has done a few trip to my local trails (the mighty Glenrock Lagoon), a day on the hero trail in Bright, a session at Narra, and a big ride at the quarry of death. It has covered a reasonable diversity of trails.

Straight off the line, I'm really bad at pedalling! I may one day do a little more and get a little better, but I'm not in a rush. This bike has almost without pause been used for gravity oriented hucking. It has excelled at this quite well, so I am happy.

My current negative vibes for the bike are:
- Stealth cable routing is really noisey. I often catch myself wondering what has come loose.
- The top tube is a little higher than I like for being gnarly with, which reduces manoeuvrability a little. But hey...I'm using the bike a little out of context so I'll suck it up.
- Forks on their fastest rebound setting aren't all that fast.

My positive vibes far outweigh the negatives, here's a few:
- Stable and confident at speed.
- Smooth through rough and rocky terrain.
- Suspension delivers a butter smooth feel.
- Thomson dropper is amazing.
- Aesthetics are on point.

Bike on action:

mms_img-117960012.jpg

Note my patented chicken wings technique. It allows a small burst of almost flight that helps you get those few extra centimetres of air time.

mms_img-721359568.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
All right then...so in its current form the bike has done a few trip to my local trails (the mighty Glenrock Lagoon), a day on the hero trail in Bright, a session at Narra, and a big ride at the quarry of death. It has covered a reasonable diversity of trails.

Straight off the line, I'm really bad at pedalling! I may one day do a little more and get a little better, but I'm not in a rush. This bike has almost without pause been used for gravity oriented hucking. It has excelled at this quite well, so I am happy.

My current negative vibes for the bike are:
- Stealth cable routing is really noisey. I often catch myself wondering what has come loose.
- The top tube is a little higher than I like for being gnarly with, which reduces manoeuvrability a little. But hey...I'm using the bike a little out of context so I'll suck it up.
- Forks on their fastest rebound setting aren't all that fast.

My positive vibes far outweigh the negatives, here's a few:
- Stable and confident at speed.
- Smooth through rough and rocky terrain.
- Suspension delivers a butter smooth feel.
- Thomson dropper is amazing.
- Aesthetics are on point.

Bike on action:
Nice one Poodles.
Does that frame run the cable liners? I hate internal cables, never able to get good shifting like running a full outer.

I wondered how you would go with that fork, not the best rebound for dirtjumping kind of riders.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nice one Poodles.
Does that frame run the cable liners? I hate internal cables, never able to get good shifting like running a full outer.

I wondered how you would go with that fork, not the best rebound for dirtjumping kind of riders.
The fork is really nice, except the rebound is much slower than I'm used too. I've had a few lyrics before and they were much more in line with my style of riding. This does have pretty amazing feel on compression though!

The cables are internal on the main frame only, and are ran using outers the whole way through. Which is good as plenty of juice makes its way into the frame! But there is the rattles...I'll get used to it eventually.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The fork is really nice, except the rebound is much slower than I'm used too. I've had a few lyrics before and they were much more in line with my style of riding. This does have pretty amazing feel on compression though!.
Might be able to change the oil to a thinner one or get the rebound rod modified. I'm not sure if the thinner oil will affect the rest of the fork though, I'm not familiar with that fork's internals.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Might be able to change the oil to a thinner one or get the rebound rod modified. I'm not sure if the thinner oil will affect the rest of the fork though, I'm not familiar with that fork's internals.
Oil is what I figure is the solution. I'll worry about it in 7 years time when the fork is due for its first service...

Off for a ride in northern Sydney. To make the day extra special I've got a new seat and tyres.

Seat is by cube. It's dimensions matched one I had and liked, while the price was defined as clearance. It looks good and felt nice on the ride to the train station this morning.

The tyres are Halo Knobbler. I've been impressed with my Halo Street tyres, these were a good weight and looked gripped up, plus they too were on a sizeable sale. The rubber feels nice in the hand and the knobs are quite big. They're quite a change from the DMR Moto Diggers I was running (an awesome tyre kids!), both in the aggressive style of knobs and their width (Halo are a lot thinner) so hopefully they deliver on the trail.

I also spent a few minutes trying to dampen my frame noise last night. I've tube wrapped the chain stay amd moved the neoprene protector onto the seat stay. I was unable to fit the tube on the seat stay without it interfering with the chain on the 11t. It's ugly as sin too! I've got zip ties everywhere trying to hold it together and the only ones I had big enough were hideous white ones that I recycled (or is that reused? No wait...upcycled and refurbished) from some packaging ages ago. No wait I retained them from the packaging and have now reused them. However it goes they are ugly but work.

Now some pics:

DSC_2093~2.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wow...epic dead patch in reception! Here's the other pics:

DSC_2083~2.jpg

DSC_2091~2.jpg

Bike sets can be really difficult to photograph!

stirk

Burner
Is the shifter and rear brake cable kept off the chainstay?

My brake cable even though very tight up against the chainstay wore a little groove in it. I even used some tape to protect the frame and that wore through quickly too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Halo makes good shit, I've got a set of their rims that are 4 years old and been through lots of abuse.

Try some of that black skin wrap on the chain stays, looks heaps neater than tube. https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/frameskin-framewrap-black.
Well I was generally displeased with the tyres. I suspect this style of tyre is not so good for really rocky riding, but the tyre just felt wrong most of the day. The knoby knobbed up Knobbler was a bit flex too. I missed my old dmr tyres today. I'll give the halos a chance on my local clay and see how they go.

Yeah but it looks sexy not an agricultural look or are going for that type of look. Sell a couple more cappuccinos and you'll have excess cash.
I'm hectic macho and rough...but like with a little flair.

Is the shifter and rear brake cable kept off the chainstay?

My brake cable even though very tight up against the chainstay wore a little groove in it. I even used some tape to protect the frame and that wore through quickly too.
Well I hope this isn't going to be an issue for me.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well I was generally displeased with the tyres. I suspect this style of tyre is not so good for really rocky riding, but the tyre just felt wrong most of the day. The knoby knobbed up Knobbler was a bit flex too. I missed my old dmr tyres today. I'll give the halos a chance on my local clay and see how
Yeah, the tread does look tall and thin. I like the Hans dampf for the front on the rocky stuff.