F1 2011

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Bernie has told the FIA that he will kill F1 if they go ahead with thier puny idea of four cylinder turbo charged 1.8L engines and I agree! I can see a quiet shit box open wheeler when I watch an eight year drive around a hire kart track. F1 will die if they make it quieter! If they feel the need to do something to appear concerned for the environment then they should plant more trees at some of the venues. Not only will it appear to be interested, it will make the cars louder! Everyone wins!

Go Fernando!

0psi

Eats Squid
Bernie has told the FIA that he will kill F1 if they go ahead with thier puny idea of four cylinder turbo charged 1.8L engines and I agree!
Oh ma god, den I can race wif ma fully sik Corolla wif da sub woofa in da back.

scblack

Leucocholic
Bernie has told the FIA that he will kill F1 if they go ahead with thier puny idea of four cylinder turbo charged 1.8L engines and I agree!
Meh, they have had 1.5litre turbo engines not long ago.

Doesn't worry me.

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
No

4 cylinder crap!
Thi topic was discussed at length yday at Mt Panorama, as the noise is what its at. The 10-15000 people yday would be there if the noise was of a corolla. Whats next - PRIUS F1!!! Save me.
THE noise of a F1 at full tit is what fans that go to F1 go for....
Noise/speed/spectacle.
4cly turbos do not and cannot sound anywhere near as good or pure as a normal atmo screamer....

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
LOL where does it say they will be using Corolla engines... am I correct that the most powerful F1 engines were the 1.5l 4cyl Turbo engines from BMW (1300hp) ?? Think they sounded like a Corolla? of course they did : )

"THE noise of a F1 at full tit is what fans that go to F1 go for" <--- Exactly they did it when there were 6cyl, 8cyl, 10cyl 12cyl and yes... they even loved the 4cyl....

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The point of the discussion had by the FIA was to reduce the noise to well below 100 decibels and cut the revs to max out at under 10,000rpm I read. While that still souns like a lot of revolutions it still won't sound like the worlds greatest pieces of art should. For those of you that may know it or even remember it, Formula Holden (formula Brabham) cars used in Australia used to have six cylinder 3.8L engines and while they sounded good enough, they were not loud enough and didn't rev out enough. This is what some "experts" are saying the new spec F1 engine would sound like. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Formula One is and should be the pinnacle of all things motoring, if you take the most important aspect of it away then you'll lose ................... the most appealing aspect.

scblack

Leucocholic
LOL where does it say they will be using Corolla engines... am I correct that the most powerful F1 engines were the 1.5l 4cyl Turbo engines from BMW (1300hp) ?? Think they sounded like a Corolla? of course they did : )

"THE noise of a F1 at full tit is what fans that go to F1 go for" <--- Exactly they did it when there were 6cyl, 8cyl, 10cyl 12cyl and yes... they even loved the 4cyl....
The TAG Porsche engines were the best engines in that era.:)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Why the f*** would the FIA care about keeping the noise levels down? 90% of the races are held at purpose built tracks that are built away out in the countryside/desert/Asia, far away from kindergartens, libraries and old folks homes. If they really, really cared they'd also ban all support races, concerts and fast jet flypasts.

The 4-cylinder plan is all about attracting big name marques like Audi into the sport as engine suppliers and advancing the existing technologies so that it will have a trickle-down effect into all forms of motoring and if they still keep the power output of the cars to 750 BHP then what's the big deal? They aren't going to be any slower and with the introduction of more advanced KERS systems it'll still keep F1 at it's rightful place as the fastest and most technologically advanced form of motorsport.

Personally, I think they could make it completely electric with cars buzzing around like the Tron bikes or hovering 2ft above the ground like F-Zero or Wipeout 2097 and it would still be amazing to watch and if all you're after is the noise of an engine then there will always be NASCAR, DTM, VB Supercars and the Shannon's Classic Car Championship to keep you entertained.

Anyway gotta get cracking tonight and fire in my Superbru tips as it'll be my last chance before it's back off up to Melbourne for the GP! ;)

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It let me make my picks anyhow!

Has anyone downloaded or seen by any other means the Senna movie yet?

Looks interesting...

Trying to find a copy before I buy the dvd when released...

wombat

Lives in a hole
So I tipped Webber for the win, my theory is that althiough it's unlikely, Melbourne always throws up something interesting, and Mark's bad luck there can't last forever. Plus, I need to back him at least once...

Also, Sebastian's gonna get boned, but set a flyer late in the race.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm going to throw this out there now so I can look back at the end of the year and either grin or hide:
-2011 World Champion: Fernando Alonso
-Manufacturers champion: Ferrari
-The Red Bull's will go okay but not dominate qualifying and race wins. Webber will beat Vettel fair and square.
-The McLaren's will be Ferrari's main rival with Button beating Hamilton.
-Renault will not be as competitive as the last few seasons. They'll be out of the points most races.
-Mercedes will win a race.
-HRT will not finish the season and cease to exist.
-Massa will drive his last race for Ferrari this year.
-Lotus will score some points.
I know some of those ideas are out there but hey, it'll make for a good laugh in December when I'm right or wrong!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
So for the Superbru I've picked Webber to win, Alonso, Webber and Vettel for podium places and pretty much all the usual suspects for the top ten.

I'm going to throw this out there now so I can look back at the end of the year and either grin or hide:
-2011 World Champion: Fernando Alonso Not on my watch!
-Manufacturers champion: Ferrari Possibly but will lose points after found to be in collusion with Pirrelli to steal the championship back to Italy
-The Red Bull's will go okay but not dominate qualifying and race wins. Webber will beat Vettel fair and square. Their car is looking the business and they've had a marked improvement every year since they started. I can see them dominating it again this year
-The McLaren's will be Ferrari's main rival with Button beating Hamilton. Rival's for second place maybe. Agree with Button being ahead. The weaker tires will definitely favour smoother drivers and Button's probably one of the smoothest
-Renault will not be as competitive as the last few seasons. They'll be out of the points most races. Robert Kubica will come back mid-season complete with Dr Doom/Darth Vader style robotic arm or possibly a claw.
-Mercedes will win a race. Rosberg will win a race, Schumacher will sulk
-HRT will not finish the season and cease to exist. and that's why you should never name a team after a Goldie Lookin' Chain song that's all about Hormone Replacement Therapy
-Massa will drive his last race for Ferrari this year. They do love making their Brazillians play second fiddle
-Lotus will score some points. Booyaa! But which Lotus?
I know some of those ideas are out there but hey, it'll make for a good laugh in December when I'm right or wrong!
I'm also picking Kamui Kobayashi to race his absolute tits off and possibly grab a seat in a better car. I'm also tipping Force India to be a bit of a dark horse this season.

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
Race winner

Felipe Massa

Podium finishers (top 3) (order irrelevant)

Sebastian Vettel
Fernando Alonso
Felipe Massa

Points finishers (4th - 10th)

(order irrelevant) Mark Webber
Lewis Hamilton
Jenson Button
Michael Schumacher
Nico Rosberg
Vitaly Petrov
Rubens Barrichello

Fastest lap

Sebastian Vettel

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm also picking Kamui Kobayashi to race his absolute tits off and possibly grab a seat in a better car. I'm also tipping Force India to be a bit of a dark horse this season.
I agree with both of those. I can see Kamakaze Kabui landing a drive with a major Japanese manufacturer in F1. Oh wait, there isn't any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will be outstanding to watch on a worn set of super soft Pirelli's.
Force India may even be as good as Mercedes. They'll want to be a lot further up the grid now that Liuzzi will want to physically kill the drivers for not backing him up!
Oh yeah, I for got to add that Hamilton will also get done for dropping another wicked burnout somewhere.;) Geez, if there is one type of person you'd want to safely drop a burnout in surburbia it would be a Formula One driver. They never doanything unsafe! They are totally trustworthy!