VIC Fairfield Boat House area track

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
never said where it was - not the first thread to discuss the track. i think the general feedback was- ride it, but please no digging.
It must be well hidden, never seen it before. Just like those Ivanhoe jumps that took half an hour of climbing through trees to find..

Pastavore

Eats Squid
It's easiest to find just after rain. While standing on the Boulevard, face west and it's right at the base of the rainbow. To be sure, to be sure.

NSR

Likes Dirt
never said where it was - not the first thread to discuss the track. i think the general feedback was- ride it, but please no digging.
Not having a go at anyone, just a friendly reminder!
Saying all that, it is hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Damn someone is making a hell of a mess in from the slip lane down to Johnson St. There was one nice track now it's looking like a freeway construction zone. i just hope the rangers leave the original track when they clean it up but it's far more likely they'll fence the whole thing off.

Not impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
it is hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for.
"What's that over there? Looks like a small looping track with rollers and berms and stuff, is that it?"

"Nah mate, we're looking for a pump track, lets keep on going!"

Link

Likes Dirt
As someone who was possibly involved in certain trails that may-or-may not have been near-ish the area being discussed, and could arguably have been said to have begun at an elevation substantially above the elevation at which they finish, and perhaps been recently fenced off by rangers after many years of enjoyment... I feel qualified to weigh in.

To any ranger reading this, rather than continually reacting to trail construction with fences, signage and star-picketing logs into the ground, why don't you act on your mandate to administer public amenities and meet the obvious demand for steep challenging trails along the urban shores of the Yarra? Yes, it may detract from the otherwise significant beauty of the nearby freeways and drain run-offs, but you would bring a huge amount of joy to a group of frequent park users - a group that experience great difficultly finding such terrain in the flat featureless wasteland that is urban Melbourne. This build/destruct cycle has gone on long enough. Oh, and if you truly are concerned about enhancing the experience of users of Yarra Bend Park - how about you do something about the activities that go on in the twilight hours at Gallatea Point and surrounding bushland, first and foremost?

Now, who's got the phone numbers for 3AW, and that nice lady on A Current Affair...

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
FWIW, I had a meeting with Parks Victoria and the RIC, DRIC and a few others about another trail area, but we also started talking about the Yarra Trails, and it was mentioned that one of the local rangers has been instructed to (and has been) removing/demolishing a number of TTFs being built without permission. My next step after the introductions is to now sit down with the RIC from Yarra Bend Park and arrange to do both do an audit of the trails that are there, and then come up with a formal plan to determine what will be signed up and mapped as legitemate trail, what needs work and has both erosion and heritage issues to be addressed, and what areas can be slated for future trail development.

For this, I'll also need to identify key stakeholders by way of clubs to ensure this can follow through in an appropriate way.

We also talked about the future development of Dangenong Ranges, Woodlands Historic Park, Doongalla, and some future areas to be opened up for formal development in and around Kilsyth.

Last edited:

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
FWIW, I had a meeting with Parks Victoria and the RIC, DRIC and a few others about another trail area, but we also started talking about the Yarra Trails, and it was mentioned that one of the local rangers has been instructed to (and has been) removing/demolishing a number of TTFs being built without permission. My next step after the introductions is to now sit down with the RIC from Yarra Bend Park and arrange to do both do an audit of the trails that are there, and then come up with a formal plan to determine what will be signed up and mapped as legitemate trail, what needs work and has both erosion and heritage issues to be addressed, and what areas can be slated for future trail development.
Tim, if you could use a hand let me know, I'd like to get involved.

Cheers

David

John U

MTB Precision

For this, I'll also need to identify key stakeholders by way of clubs to ensure this can follow through in an appropriate way.

We also talked about the future development of Dangenong Ranges, Woodlands Historic Park, Doongalla, and some future areas to be opened up for formal development in and around Kilsyth.
Excellent work.

If I can help in any way out east I would be happy to.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ultimately there needs to be a club that represents the area, the strava group I have set up probably aren't enough - ha ha, we need a Yarra Trails Mountain Bike club that has a consensus on how best to represent our interests. I know FTF's have an interest, however most of the YTs users are probably just groups/individual riders out for fun who don't necessarily want to race at a club level. Like the road scene which was primarily club roadies, it now has many riders who do it as their hobby, think its similar with the mtbs on yts to a point.

If you remember a while ago a mtb circuit idea was floated - that's fine for people who like to go around in circles [and what it really meant in the longer term was lets stick the bikes over there and then block access everywhere else], I like the fact that its a trail network that can take you from Richmond to Warrandyte/Templestowe. Other thing is I run on these trails and take the kids for a fang along them, so I think they should be shared rather than dedicated to mtb only, they're a community asset for all so to speak.

Like most others on here, I'm someone who has used them for years, yet my opinion (as above) is just mine and I would be careful thinking it represents all users - especially when discussing the future of this outstanding network.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
I also enjoy the fact that you can ride the trails a long way, but the yarra bend area has a lot of potential for development into a serious MTB precinct. Redeveloping the par 3 golf course for mtbing has been mooted in a couple of papers. If the dights falls area and all the park South of studley park Rd could be designated and developed as a MTB precinct we could afford some rationalisation elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

akashra

Eats Squid
Start small.

Step 1: Masterplan
Step 2: Breakdown of stages
Step 3: Recogise existing infrastructure
Step 4: Improve existing infrastructure
Step 5: Develop new infrastructure

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Start small.

Step 1: Masterplan
Step 2: Breakdown of stages
Step 3: Recogise existing infrastructure
Step 4: Improve existing infrastructure
Step 5: Develop new infrastructure
I agree, however we should not limit our horizons. The 2009 Issues and Options paper put out for comment by Parks proposed as an option the closure of the Par 3 goldf course and the provision of a mountain bike circuit, even mentioning 4 cross.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
What's the name of your strava group and I'll follow. Can't put an enormous amount of time in but would like to contribute.

Talk to the red hill riders. They have had a concerted campaign going for a while now and I believe that the tide is turning for them. Pardon the pun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big JD

Wheel size expert
What is the go with this

There a number of interested groups and many individuals who would like to get involved.

It would be ideal to section areas/ stages but have one strategy or over arching plan for the entire Yarra Trail Network.

We should leverage the experience and setup/structure of others like Red Hill, You Yangs, Lysterfield, Forrest, Buxton/Lake MT, Yarra Ranges and Plenty Gorge. Can we get all interested parties to agree to the strategy?

Anyone know more about this area/ plans/ previous dealing with stakeholders?

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
What's the name of your strava group and I'll follow. Can't put an enormous amount of time in but would like to contribute.

Talk to the red hill riders. They have had a concerted campaign going for a while now and I believe that the tide is turning for them. Pardon the pun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Tim- you rock - Big JD

valium

Likes Dirt
Is there any update to all this? not sure of what use I'd be but happy to lend time with the goal of legitimizing some of the YT.