Fasting, who does it

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody doing it, and if so how's it working out?

I've been reading some pretty vague material on it and apart from the whole not eating part it seems a little too good to be true. Would be keen to hear any views on it, esp some critique as that seems pretty slim pickings.

So if you do it, what's your approach, do you do it as part of a plan like a 5/2 (2days restricted to 4-500 calories, other 5 at normal consumption) or a 4 in 30 days thing, or random one offs, or what.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I tried it based on the Michael Mosley documentary, so using the 5/2 method.

It's very, very effective. But you have to do it properly, which means restricting yourself to 600 calories for two days of the week. This is fuck all food.

I actually found it not too bad while at work; I'd just concentrate and push through lunch and get quite a bit more done than usual. But the evenings drag on and you find yourself just wanting to go to bed so you stop fantasising about food. Surprisingly energy levels aren't bad; after a day of basically no food and a tiny dinner I'd go and play tennis for a couple of hours without struggling.

The morning after a fasting day (and particularly so if you do the two days consecutively, which is even harder but gets it out of the way) you feel a lightness which is really quite amazing, and so unfamiliar at first. Like your body has been clogged with a whole load of excess uneccesary crap which has suddenly evaporated. And god damn does food taste good. After only a day or two of fasting, you really, really appreciate the taste of that food.

You need to approach it like training: the first couple of weeks really, really hurt. You don't see proper results for a month or two, but the weight drops off you and for the bulk of the week you can eat whatever you want.

I have stopped doing it though. Since the first time I did it we had a second kid, and with two kids and work etc I just haven't been able to commit to it properly again. Evenings are too packed full of family stuff, and sometimes you just need a big bowl of pasta and a glass of red for sanity. And to make it really work, you have to stick to it, no cheating.

I think it's worth a go, even just for the sake of testing your resolve. It does make you think about food differently, and you will lose weight. But give it 4-6 weeks of hard graft.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers, I saw some of that program, I remember it interested me because I'm fearful of diabetes despite what dr's tell me.

So are you saying those 2 days don't need to be consecutive, or should be, or just easier if you do?

I've just did approx 24hrs with nada to see what it would feel like and it was ok, was feeling pretty chilled towards the end, not sure I could handle exercise as well. 48hrs might do me in.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I don't think it needs to be consecutive, but if you time it for maybe Monday and Tuesday (usually the crappest days of the week depending on your schedule) it just gets the suffering out of the way. There's no way you could do it on a weekend.

But consecutive is noticeably harder.

I don't think a full fast with absolutely nothing is practical if you have a job, family etc.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've been fasting since I was 12 - before it was a fad. I could never stomach brekky and most days I eat at 10.30am or skip brekky and got to lunch at 12.30. On saturdays I don't usually eat until 2-3pm. Pretty much I don't follow the three meal thing and eat when I feel like it.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've been fasting since I was 12 - before it was a fad. I could never stomach brekky and most days I eat at 10.30am or skip brekky and got to lunch at 12.30. On saturdays I don't usually eat until 2-3pm. Pretty much I don't follow the three meal thing and eat when I feel like it.
How is your weight management if you don't mind i.e. thin, normal range, carrying some extra ? Do you find that you eat a lot in the afternoon and night if you fast through the morning ?

I don't really support the principle of inconsistent fuel inputs so would never do it myself. I can see that it could be a simpler way to manage long-term calorie intake than trying to control each and every day.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I don't really support the principle of inconsistent fuel inputs so would never do it myself. I can see that it could be a simpler way to manage long-term calorie intake than trying to control each and every day.
I'd recommend you watch the Michael Mosley documentary, even if just for interest's sake.

There's a fair bit of research backing up this method of fasting; basically it seems to 'flick a switch' that makes your body utilise fuel differently to normal, even on non-fasting days.

Although of course, reduced calories overall is a good thing too.

Beej1

I'm dead keen to try the 5/2. Not a single (strong willed) person I've spoken to says anything but positive stuff about it. Moseley's (and others) research I've briefly read makes sense to me. I'd be aiming to do it along with improving what I eat on the 5 days as well. Particularly cutting back sugar.

But ....

Evenings are too packed full of family stuff, and sometimes you just need a big bowl of pasta and a glass of red for sanity.
This. This is my biggest problem. An hour of a screaming child complaining about anything ranging from spaghetti being too long to the fact that her hair can't feel the sheet touching it, therefore it can't possibly be pulled up high enough ... rolling right into tag-teaming holding the smaller one while doing laps of the house to get him to sleep... all without alcohol and a sugary treat? FTSM.

But still ... I'd like to try it.

Beej1

Any particular timestamp of that 3 hour long video relevant to fasting? I managed the first 3 minutes of discussion about taking notes with ... like ... 3 'like's per, like ... sentence before I ... like ... stopped.

Minlak

custom titis
Any particular timestamp of that 3 hour long video relevant to fasting? I managed the first 3 minutes of discussion about taking notes with ... like ... 3 'like's per, like ... sentence before I ... like ... stopped.
Just google it and there will be shorter parts to it. The problem is people just want to look into things in isolation I thought the whole picture might help.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
We rarely eat dinner here from advice of the Mrs. Breakfast and a late lunch will do it.

I thought I'd be ready to eat chairs and small pets by 8pm but am used to it now. I think it helps a bit overall, not so much to try to shave off kilos but it does help, but also not to have a stomach full of tasty chewed up goodies that just sit on you while you do nothing for 6 hours or so. If I really get hungry then a smallish serving of my special edition yoghurt, any cereal that doesn't look like coco pops and cranberry mix is in line.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
We rarely eat dinner here from advice of the Mrs. Breakfast and a late lunch will do it.

I thought I'd be ready to eat chairs and small pets by 8pm but am used to it now. I think it helps a bit overall, not so much to try to shave off kilos but it does help, but also not to have a stomach full of tasty chewed up goodies that just sit on you while you do nothing for 6 hours or so. If I really get hungry then a smallish serving of my special edition yoghurt, any cereal that doesn't look like coco pops and cranberry mix is in line.
What do your brekky and lunches look like? I'm having trouble finding a breakfast I can consistently fill up on

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How is your weight management if you don't mind i.e. thin, normal range, carrying some extra ? Do you find that you eat a lot in the afternoon and night if you fast through the morning ?

At my peak I was riding 50km a day (40% hilly trails) and not eating until 12 midday. Whilst I'd be pretty hungry by 12 I was full of energy and pretty focused. Whilst I think it's horses for courses, I think the 3 meals a day/5 small meals is not gospel and the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is just utter crap.

moorey

call me Mia
It’s something I’ve been meaning to do for a while. Certainly plenty of dieticians (the proper food people) say that it has some genuine health benefits.
I often simply forget to eat till almost bedtime....then stupidly pack a heap of food in, not necessarily because I’m hingry, but out of habit.
I’m far from overweight, but could stand to lose 5kg from around the middle as I approach 50...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
What do your brekky and lunches look like? I'm having trouble finding a breakfast I can consistently fill up on
Yesterday was just toast and egg after a quick morning blat. I don't eat before short rides but have to fuel up a bit for longer ones or I get all lazy.

Another one that works well are those chinese steamed bun bao. We have got a few of these from the local emporium. Steam them in a rice cooker for about 5 minutes and they keep you full for some time without getting all uncomfortable. There are flavoured varieties also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantou

We have an exotic dish we call Global Rice yesterday which is basically anything you have in the fridge cooked together, we had capsicum, turkey slice shallots and some other greenery with a splash of sesame oil. That keeps me from getting to hungry too.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
At my peak I was riding 50km a day (40% hilly trails) and not eating until 12 midday. Whilst I'd be pretty hungry by 12 I was full of energy and pretty focused. Whilst I think it's horses for courses, I think the 3 meals a day/5 small meals is not gospel and the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is just utter crap.
I guess they assumed you have fasted overnight. I don't go for big breakfast usually either, too much makes me feel uncomfortable.

I eat when I'm hungry but don't go too crazy like pacman either. I try to avoid chowing down too late. Saying that, it is easy to add beef around the waist from have a sit on your arse job. That is a big factor and not as easy to avoid as it sounds.

I suppose there is some logic in not eating a big meal then nothing, your stomach might get accustomed to eating big and end up being harder to keep full and satisfied. I think most of eating is habitual and if you have a cookie jar that you raid regularly then it becomes a routine hat you don't even think about. We don't drink soft drinks or sugary stuff either not that I've ever been a huge fan of those.

Calvin27

Eats Squid

I do usually smash down a monster lunch. however I think overall I still consume less than average. Dinner is pretty light most days, but on the odd occasion I do pig out. Don't get me wrong I am a massive eater but I do it inconsistently and most days the in between snack are non-existent (hard to snack after a monster lunch). I am 83kg and 183cm so about medium. I have a genetically fat dad and thin mum - go figure.

I rarely have issues with inconsistent energy intake but that is usually when riding - I'll make sure to fuel up properly if there is a decent length ride in the horizon a few days ahead (3+hours). However most of my riding has been 1-2 hr including lots of junk commute mileage so I can do these on empty. I ride 45 minutes to work in the morning on half a glass of water. Some days I'll need a latte and muffin to get me to 12, others I don't even notice.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I'm dead keen to try the 5/2. Not a single (strong willed) person I've spoken to says anything but positive stuff about it. Moseley's (and others) research I've briefly read makes sense to me. I'd be aiming to do it along with improving what I eat on the 5 days as well. Particularly cutting back sugar.

But ....

This. This is my biggest problem. An hour of a screaming child complaining about anything ranging from spaghetti being too long to the fact that her hair can't feel the sheet touching it, therefore it can't possibly be pulled up high enough ... rolling right into tag-teaming holding the smaller one while doing laps of the house to get him to sleep... all without alcohol and a sugary treat? FTSM.

But still ... I'd like to try it.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...t-no-better-than-cutting-calories-study-finds

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Now that I agree with 100%.

The #1 way to lose weight is to increase output and decrease input.

The other apparent benefit to fasting is neurrological though. Bunch of studies on that, not sure if the jury is in yet though.