Fasting, who does it

moorey

call me Mia
I have dozens of granny gears in a pile in the shed, thanks. Feel free to throw me more though. Might make nice ornaments for the tree

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's the point of fasting like 5:2 isn't it. Because one of the key things it's supposed to deliver on allegedly is "autophagy" as a response to distress caused by extreme calorie reduction/nutrient deprivation, which we can't really sustain for more than a day or two*. AFAIK does not occur on a diet that involves slightly reduced calories.
* - I've read of people fasting for 3-4 days to achieve the same thing.

The other thing it allegedly does that a regular reduced calorie diet does not do and related to the Michael Mosely thingo I'd guess, involves reducing insulin levels. Whilst insulin levels keep falling up to to the 60hr mark, the biggest drop occurs around 16-24hrs. So a fast of that duration is consider best bang for buck in that respect.

Lastly, bodyweight by itself is a pretty poor metric for dietary success IMO. You can stay the same weight and your body composition can turn you into a wiry beast or go flabtastic and suddenly the pants are tight. I'm really interested to see how fasting impacts performance on the bike, and attainment of other fitness goals. Only one way to find out it seems.
good points.

my take on 5:2 was looking long term in addressing poor eating habits - don't think telling fatties they can eat what they want any other day aren't good long term.

autophagy, we kind of do this exercising - .

body-weight, now yes there's functional body weight and the question is if you diet etc, yet stay the same weight, ... then the muscle gain (that is what we're assuming has happened here to replace the fat) would need to be functional as in able to be applied to overcome the power to weight deficit that being overweight creates.

so would quadzilla beat mr bones up a hill, bones is always going to win aren't he. we're talking mtb here, so hills are a factor of course, look at Peter Sagan a beast yet only 74kgs, Cancellara, he's 81kgs, and what's the most powerful cyclist in the world weigh? Mark Cavendish 70kgs. what da? so my thinking is lower weight will be superior to higher power ... well in endurance sports and that's what we do.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've tried out quite a few variations on the fasting "diet". I found the 5:2 just too hard after a few weeks, mainly the second fast day. I didn't see enough weight loss for the suffering, especially when you are have a shit day..
I then tried alternate day fasting and after a week it was much easier than 5:2. You don't get used to having 5 free days of eating which then makes the 2 fast days so shitty.. It works great for weight loss but it is virtually impossible to do long term without locking yourself at home away from the rest of the world..
For the last six months I have followed the 16:8 version everyday. No food for 16 hours a day and eating for 8 hours. I have found this to be very effective weight loss wise and easy to do rather than planning a fast day or two every week..
The main benefit I have gotten from fasting is gaining a understanding of what real hunger is and how to deal with it. The less food going in really does change your appetite and during the eating 8 hour window, after a while, you end up eating normally without over doing it. And this is where the weight loss comes from, less food in overall without feeling hungry..

Poppy

Squid
It’s something I’ve been meaning to do for a while. Certainly plenty of dieticians (the proper food people) say that it has some genuine health benefits.
I often simply forget to eat till almost bedtime....then stupidly pack a heap of food in, not necessarily because I’m hingry, but out of habit.
I’m far from overweight, but could stand to lose 5kg from around the middle as I approach 50...
Perhaps reducing to half a bag of dicks if just before bedtime Moorey??? But if you're after some rigorous data - Michael Mosely and Dr Valter Longo. Have done the 5 day fasting mimicking diet several times and like the results. Do it more for immunity than weight loss but certainly lose weight. If we think about our evolutionary origins in terms of eating patterns, intermittent fasting makes sense. Good luck with your fitness goals :)

pinnin

Likes Dirt
I have been giving fasting a crack over the last month.

The method I have been using is fast every day and only eat from midday till dinner time. Essentially eat for 6 hours only a day on a low carb diet. The theory being that your body will remain in ketosis for longer as opposed to only 2 days on the 5:2 diet (and screw not eating for 2 whole days).

I have had some success I would say. I only do this during the week mind you, weekends are off limits but I do find myself following it more and more on weekends as the habit kicks in.

My experience is that I don't have a lack of energy in the morning, I actually feel quite energetic. I have 1 coffee on the way to work (approx. 6am - no sugar) and I have been easily able to hold off eating until lunchtime and sometimes longer (sometimes I get stuck at work and can't eat for another hour or two).

My diet consists of at the moment: protein and salad / vegies for lunch, 2 eggs w/ 2 slices of cheese, a banana, a tub of yoghurt, and protein and salad / vegies for dinner.

I really do not have a lot of fat to lose, however I did complete the Bussleton Ironman in December and I'm looking to do the Port Mac Ironman in May because they cancelled the swim in WA. I am currently 83kg, probably looking for 80kg.

Training load has been pretty low over the last month after the race. I have ramped up training again this week, so it will be interesting to see how the lack of food goes.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sounds good, midday till 6pm should be something you can sustain. Glad it is working out for you.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk