Favorite cover songs!

Dane

Likes Dirt
This has been prompted by me listening for the last couple of weeks to a cover song segment on tripple J. So what are your favorite cover songs?

Mad World - Gary Jules (originally by Tears for Fears - from Donnie Darko sound track, apparently the original was fairly poor but i love this version!)
Black Betty - Spiderbait (originally by Ram Jam - i think it actually use to be a slave song or something, this is my fav song atm.)
Ice Baby - Ben Kweller (originally by Vanilla Ice)

Haha! The original Tears for Fears version was woeful!!

Anyway... my favourite cover of all time is...

MxPx - Summer of '69

...although Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies do damn well for themselves...

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
commander_dilsnikk said:
Haha! The original Tears for Fears version was woeful!!

Anyway... my favourite cover of all time is...

MxPx - Summer of '69

...although Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies do damn well for themselves...
I quite like the Ataris cover of the same song.
But for me it's The Living End's cover of the prisoner theme song 'on the inside'

monkeymagic

Likes Bikes and Dirt
basically any punk covers of older songs

and

zebraheads cover of that spice girls song, cant remember but its good.

lol

crozza

Likes Dirt
iLikeBasS said:
Black Betty - Spiderbait (originally by Ram Jam)
yeah i saw them at the Push Over festival they were awsome, the orginal was cool but spiderbait just made it better

Dane

Likes Dirt
how was push over? was it worth however much it cost? and was it full of annoying kids? i was going to listen to it on triple j but i had uni and then had to work :(

MrPlow

TMBC
Reel Big Fish - Take on Me. good fun song!
Drop Kick Murpheys - Amazing Grace. not a fav but good...
The MXPX mentioned.
Smashing Pumpkins - Landslide. When I feel a bit mellow. (oh how that bogan Casey Chambers rooted this song :( )
Various dance songs but technically a lot are remixes

while not my fav, I just heard Anal C*nt - can't touch this. weird but funny :?
And all Spiderbait rocks inc Black betty.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Shiver" covered by The Screaming Jets, more like a faithfull tribute than a cover.

I have a hard time liking covers, this is the only one that doesn't generally make me feel uncomfortable. Another thing that annoys me about covers is kids thinking that some dodgy cover is the original, when the original is generally always better.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i like man who sold the world by nirvana i have the nirvana and Bowie version of this and they are both good i mainly listen to artists who dont do many covers oh and ive heard a bit of anal c*unt and some of there song titles are awesome especially one about limp bizkit

Dane

Likes Dirt
dunk said:
when the original is generally always better.
i don't agree with this... i think you just need to take them one by one, there are some fantastic covers out there!

i reckon Midnight Oil did a good job of the Real Thing. and some of Marylin Mansons are pretty cool.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats why I said generally, I reckon there are some good covers, but I still prefer the original artist, and hopefully they're the writer as well, is better. I kind of consider it taking credit for other peoples work.

When you go back and look at the history of the cover it smacks of blatent racism, sort of still carries a bad stigma for me. But thats probably just me.

Dane

Likes Dirt
dunk said:
I kind of consider it taking credit for other peoples work.
i guess there are a lot of instances where it is just that and i know that many songs have been destroyed by covers.

dunk said:
When you go back and look at the history of the cover it smacks of blatent racism
i honestly don't know anything about the history, where was racism involved?

-Dane
ps. i'm a closet fan of "what about me" - Shanon Noll

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Cover Records" come from the early fifties when black artists records, which would not be played on white radio stations, or sold in most stores, would be re-recorded by white artists, new covers made and then played on radio, and sold in stores, usually with no credit for the original composer/performer.

parallax

Likes Dirt
I like the Marilyn Manson and Depeche Mode cover of 'Tainted Love'.

I think just about every band has had a stab at that song but some are better than others.

S.

ex offender
Bodyjar - Hazy Shade of Winter (originally by Simon & Garfunkel) is pretty damn awesome, as is You Spin Me Right Round by Dope - dunno who the original artist was.

dugfast

Likes Dirt
geez... i bought the gary jules cd last october and now its being played on the radio. i felt so cool cause i was listening to stuff people werent, and then one of my friends came up to me and said "have you heard gary jules?" and i was thinking they must be cool too, except then they told me they heard it on nova.

and thats my rant for today!

anyway, favourite cover is 'boots are made for walkin' cover by operation ivy