Favorite cover songs!

S.

ex offender
josh said:
Thrice - Send me an angel
Such a RAD song!

With that and the appearance of "cru jones" a few days ago, I'm going back to the golden age of BMX racing... when I was about 2.

junior

get out of my grill
gangstarr "moment of truth"
papa roach "last resort"
tommy tee "takin over"

best 3 songs of all time. and MXPX rule.

Dane

Likes Dirt
dugfast said:
geez... i bought the gary jules cd last october and now its being played on the radio. i felt so cool cause i was listening to stuff people werent, and then one of my friends came up to me and said "have you heard gary jules?" and i was thinking they must be cool too, except then they told me they heard it on nova.

and thats my rant for today!
i was shocked to hear it on nova* the other day. my sister listens to them and apparently its been getting huge air play recently. i find this odd considering the movie is almost two years old now (i think), hence the song is at least that.

*Disclaimer: I only stray from the j's when i'm in the car and i don't like the song thats playing. Its only then that nova and other commercial stations get a spin. Although Triple M has been good recently and GoldFM is timeless.

bazza

look at me
the ultimate punk cover song - last caress by the misfits. how many times has that been covered???? best version would have to be nofx the boys are champs.

Zooke

Likes Bikes
Don't we all just love the covers that Avril Lavigne (sp??) has taken to doing :roll: NOT Someone shoot that witch before she trashes any more good songs. :evil: Now in this case, the originals are soooooo much better then the covers. I really don't like that girls singing, no offence to anyone how might. (just covering my arse).

schmook

Likes Dirt
the album "if i was a carpenter" is really cool. lots of different bands covering... carpenters songs. sonic youth doing "superstar" and shonen knife do "on top of the world". lovely.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are perhaps the best covers band in the whole world. I like their rendition of Kermit the Frogs' "the rainbow connection"

I saw Spiderbait once and they did the most kick-ass cover of "99 Luft balloons" - in german, not the english version!. It was bloody amazing.

on the x files movie soundtrack the Foo Fighter do a cool cover of "Down at the Park". i don't know the original artist, some 80's band.

finally, the White Stripes rendition of Burt Bacharach's "I don't know what to do with myself"rocks.

WHEN is somebody going to cover the angels "and i never wanna see your face again" (no way get farked fark off!)?????????

Dicky

Punter God
'Turn The Page' by Metallica, originally by Bob Seger - because the personality of the performer(s), while rather different, comes out so much in each version.

the 467 or so covers of Summer of '69 (and yeah the MXPX version rocks) has that element to it as well.

that followed by the rest of Garage Inc.

some of the tracks have come out better:

Stone Cold Crazy - that was getting a bit too far removed from the overdramatisation and entertainingly cheesy epic stuff Queen were used to doing. Got recorded during their shortlived stint during the 80s of trying to 'follow the trend' by going rough and heavy.
Sounds better as a Metallica track cos it's right up their alley.

some are pretty much equal - Whiskey In The Jar, even though it's an old folk song, sounds different but just as good from Thin Lizzy.
Turn The Page also fits into this one.

the Motorhead tracks just sound like James fronting Motorhead though, so that kinda didn't work.

*insert obligatory cobweb-coated Napster rant here (get WinMX instead)*

you're entitled to your opinion of them, i'm still a big fan.

The Porkers' version of Kickstart My Heart (original by Motley Crue) and Burnin' Love (original by Elvis Presley) also need a mention.

Toxic

Likes Dirt
Reel Big Fish's version of Duran Duran's Hungry Like The Wolf. It's done in a swing, lounge music kinda style. Very cool.

Toxic

Likes Dirt
Dicky said:
The Porkers' version of Kickstart My Heart (original by Motley Crue) and Burnin' Love (original by Elvis Presley) also need a mention.
Yes! Closely followed by their version of Radio Birdman's Aloha Steve and Dano.

RCOH

Eats Squid
motley crue - helter skelter
Dropkick Murphys - Rocky Road to Dublin
The Pogues - Galway Races
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Havana affair, Higher ground, Fire
Sepultura - Drug Me
Nofx - i've got straight edge
b(if)tek - wired for sound
Johnnny Cash - One
Sublime - We're only gonna die
Sublime - Hit me with music
Pennywise - i come from a land down under
Metallica - Crash course in brain surgery
Frankenbok - Don't call me baby
Cradle of filth - No time to cry, Hallowed be thy name
plus hundred more that i can't remember or be bothered writing..

n00b

Likes Dirt
Don't we all just love the covers that Avril Lavigne (sp??) has taken to doing
Lets not relive avrils cover of chop suey :shock:

On the topic of my favourite cover

Goldfinger - 99 red baloons

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
schmook said:
the album "if i was a carpenter" is really cool. lots of different bands covering... carpenters songs. sonic youth doing "superstar" and shonen knife do "on top of the world". lovely.
'We're a Happpy Family' which is covers of a whole bunch of Ramones songs is equally cool. The Pretenders version of 'Something to Believe In' would probably be my favourite on of the lot.

Ulu doing the Super Mario Brothers theme is pretty funky as well.

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
Socket said:
Bodyjar - Hazy Shade of Winter (originally by Simon & Garfunkel) is pretty damn awesome
Yeah, that song kicks arse, I also think The Living End do a good cover of 'Tainted Love' (can't remember who did the original)

RCOH

Eats Squid
zen_rider said:
Socket said:
Bodyjar - Hazy Shade of Winter (originally by Simon & Garfunkel) is pretty damn awesome
Yeah, that song kicks arse, I also think The Living End do a good cover of 'Tainted Love' (can't remember who did the original)
'Tainted love' was originally performed by Soft Cell in early 80's, & as a bit of trivia they were one of, if not the, first openly gay punk/post punk band (successful band anyway).

RCOH

Eats Squid
Emerin said:
Sex pistols - My way

sounds soooooo cool. I love that band. :D
wasn't actually sex pistols, but Sid Viscious on his solo 'career' haha

but a cool song nonetheless

schmook

Likes Dirt
notb4dinner said:
'We're a Happpy Family' which is covers of a whole bunch of Ramones songs is equally cool. The Pretenders version of 'Something to Believe In' would probably be my favourite on of the lot.

Ulu doing the Super Mario Brothers theme is pretty funky as well.
thansk for that. I didn't know about that cover album. I love the Ramones, Pet Semetary is one of my favourite songs. I want it as a ring tone on my new polyphonix mobile phone thing.

i was just going thru my mp3's and the boo radleys do a cute cover of there she goes...
so i married an axe murderer was such a cool movie, ya wee faery.

XR51X

Likes Dirt
Most of my fav covers are live songs performed by Tool or A Perfect Circle.
Some of my fav ones are:

APC - Ashes to Ashes (originally David Bowie)
Tool - Comfortably Numb (originally Pink Floyd)
Tool - Demon Cleaner (originally Kyuss)
Tool - No Quarter (originally Led Zepplin)

Can't beat good old Tool/APC.
Pretty upset I missed APC this yr. If only they'd come to Canberra *sigh*