Formula One world championship

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
All good on the ticket front, I get them when I get my tax return in July.

Who is McLaren's new sponsor? I seriously hope it doesn't stop them using the chrome finish, their cars are by far the best looking on the grid. I've heard some crazy talk that Youtube is the title sponsor, who would have thought that little old website would gross enough dough to advertise at that level.
I'd prefer Mclaren to go back to the old red and white Marlboro colours. Mercedes can keep the silver, they've got an older claim on it. As for YouTube sponsorship? It's certainly a step-up from Lucozade!

I'm not sure if YouTube would bother with a major sponsorship deal though. They don't really need the extra exposure especially seeing as Mclaren haven't been a front runner for a few years but then again the allure of paddock passes and entry to some of the more exclusive Monaco yacht parties might be enough to persuade whoever's holding the purse strings to sign up.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Stories up everywhere talking about schuey being in a critical condition in hospital. Apparently he whacked his noggin skiing, and needed surgery, currently in a coma.

Not good.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yeah, apparently hit his head on a rock - wearing a helmet - and rushed to hospital with a brain haemorrhage. They've flown in some hotshot neurosurgeon from France. Healing vibes Shuey.

akashra

Eats Squid
Good to read he was wearing a helmet. I did timing at an XC skiing event earlier this year and could not believe the regard for safety (or lack of) skiiers have. A few of the staff certainly also thought it was a problem, but simply wasn't enforceable due to just what regulations/standards etc there are regarding helmets and ski/snow activities.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Skiing tends to have this soft approach probably partly because people assume snow is soft and cushiony or maybe because slopes tend to be groomed and the ones that are a bit more insane tend to have few rocks or at least less seen ones. I think its the Same reason I see boarder cross as a easy sport like I could jump on a snow board and be able to smash it. It looks deceptively easy.

Reality is snow sports (minus freestyle because that's obviously hard) tend to be deceptively hard they just don't seem to promote the level of damaged and difficulty that in reality they carry.

It is good to see he was wearing a helmet, supposably he was doing well and conscious on arrival but went down hill into the coma. Scary stuff.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
F1 2014 is set to start next week with the new car launches and the first test. The new regulations will be in force and we'll get to hear the new V6 turbo. Add to that, we have lots of new drivers and returning drivers to watch. Just announced is Kobayashi at Caterham and his team mate will be GP2 driver Marcos Ericsson, a proven winner in that category.
-McLaren have not yet acquired the sponsor to replace Vodafone and word is the car will be grey, not the awesome chrome they've had over the years. Shame, I love that chrome look.
-Lotus have signed a major sponsor and it's just in time as the reports from that shed suggested they were almost fucked. The sponsor is Saxo Bank.
-Another rumor doing the rounds is Ross Brawn ending up at McLaren who have since added Ron Dennis to captain the ship again.
-Pirelli have signed a new three year deal too. This season sees some more tests during the season so hopefully the fuck ups we see at Pirelli will disappear real quick.

I'm fascinated by the Ferrari battle that will happen; Alonso and Raikkonen. I think it will be the most competitive pairing on the grid and hopefully it'll be a lot of one two finishes. I can't see Red Bull being beaten as the champs just yet but the field should be a little closer, maybe even scattered a little while getting used to the new regulations.

Fifty days to go until the Australian Grand Prix! I know a few Rotorburn punters are going, we should meet up for a beer and hang shit on each other's choice of team wear.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
would have loved to have done melbourne this year, unfortunately i have an engagement party to attend... worse still, it's my own.

glad to hear kamikaze is back in a seat though!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never been to the GP before, but I'm going with a few mates this year and we have booked in the turn 15 premium zone. Can't wait to see the cars up close. Race should be great, sure to be wide open due to the new engines. I'll have to go for Red Bull, only for Ricciardo.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
What with Michael still in a coma, the new engine sizes and regulations away to come into force, Ron Dennis returning to helm Mclaren and (probably the biggest most important news story of all) Bernie stepping down as head of Formula One to fight the corruption charges laid against him, it's going to be an interesting start to the year.

There's also talk of Adrian Newey being lured away from Red Bull to work on a proposed British entry for the Americas Cup. I can definitely see that being a strong possibility as he's apparently a keen sailor and the chance to leave his mark in not one but TWO of the highest profile, most technologically advanced sports in the world would be irresistible to him.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What with Michael still in a coma, the new engine sizes and regulations away to come into force, Ron Dennis returning to helm Mclaren and (probably the biggest most important news story of all) Bernie stepping down as head of Formula One to fight the corruption charges laid against him, it's going to be an interesting start to the year.

There's also talk of Adrian Newey being lured away from Red Bull to work on a proposed British entry for the Americas Cup. I can definitely see that being a strong possibility as he's apparently a keen sailor and the chance to leave his mark in not one but TWO of the highest profile, most technologically advanced sports in the world would be irresistible to him.
can you imagine the shake up at red bull if Newey bailed. Fingers crossed it happens just to see Christian Horner's mopey sad face when he realises that they no longer have a a genius "wild draw 4" always available to get them out of trouble.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've never been to the GP before, but I'm going with a few mates this year and we have booked in the turn 15 premium zone. Can't wait to see the cars up close. Race should be great, sure to be wide open due to the new engines. I'll have to go for Red Bull, only for Ricciardo.
I am in the same area for the race on Sunday. If you get hit in the head with an egg, look for the big dude in a Ferrari hat smiling and waving. ;)

I reckon Bernie is as good as fucked but only time will tell, he knows low people in low places!
Newey bailing on a sport he's conquering wouldn't surprise me, we all know he loves a challenge.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
can you imagine the shake up at red bull if Newey bailed. Fingers crossed it happens just to see Christian Horner's mopey sad face when he realises that they no longer have a a genius "wild draw 4" always available to get them out of trouble.
I'm not actually sure he'd be too concerned. The word on the street is that Bernie Ecclestone is quite fond of Horner and would like to see him on the Iron Throne should he ever retire for good.

So potentially we have Newey to Sailing and Horner to Formula One which would leave a big hole in Red Bull Racing that might just be the perfect size for a certain Ross Brawn?

driftking

Wheel size expert
Great to see Kobayashi back, have always loved his racing.

Still think he would be a real contender in a decent car.
I would have liked to see him take the mclaren seat over perez.
maldonardo better step up this season, still think hulkenburg should have taken that seat.

I just hope that this season we don't see a vettel destruction, besides 1st place it really took away some excitement from the races up front.

Bring on Melbourne :)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I would have liked to see him take the mclaren seat over perez.
Perez isn't at Mclaren. He's signed for Force India which has forced Paul DiResta back to DTM.

Mclaren seem to be a bit all over the place. Whilst they've got Ron Dennis back in charge and are claiming that they've got their biggest budget yet for car development, they still don't have a title sponsor and their line-up of rookie Kevin Magnussen and Jenson Button certainly isn't the strongest out there.