Formula One world championship

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Testing is done, no more track time for anyone until 12.30pm Friday March 14th. My guess? Renault powered cars are well and truly in the pooh. Caterham were the longest runners in Sakhir and even they've admitted they were running well under power just to get the laps in.
Cars will need to qualify within 107% still but maybe that will be overlooked if some of the better cars aren't near the time. Could we see a monstrous fuck up in Australia with half the field retiring and / or running massively slower than some other cars?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Testing is done, no more track time for anyone until 12.30pm Friday March 14th. My guess? Renault powered cars are well and truly in the pooh. Caterham were the longest runners in Sakhir and even they've admitted they were running well under power just to get the laps in.
Cars will need to qualify within 107% still but maybe that will be overlooked if some of the better cars aren't near the time. Could we see a monstrous fuck up in Australia with half the field retiring and / or running massively slower than some other cars?

I'll be interested to see how Williams fare. They're looking really promising at the moment - particularly given Mclaren have had issues of their own. Also keen to see the new paint job

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'll be interested to see how Williams fare. They're looking really promising at the moment - particularly given Mclaren have had issues of their own. Also keen to see the new paint job

I'm with you on that, they seem to be getting a handle on it better than most and in this current predicament, that is going to be worth it's weight in gold. Massa seems like a new driver on the grid, he's saying some things that make me believe he is attacking things with a new thirst for it. Great to see.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think if Force India and Williams can come out of the blocks strong in the 1st few races of the season (and testing indicates both teams have their shit together) then they will potentially be serious championship contenders. Fingers crossed for Massa and Hulk to be fighting for the WDC at the double points round!

driftking

Wheel size expert
I think if Force India and Williams can come out of the blocks strong in the 1st few races of the season (and testing indicates both teams have their shit together) then they will potentially be serious championship contenders. Fingers crossed for Massa and Hulk to be fighting for the WDC at the double points round!

Arghh I forgot about the double points round. I still hate it.

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
Righto

It's always Old Shagger's gig to set it up. OLD SHAGGER!!!!!!! Set us up!
Righto Cranky Pants Dozer.....

SUPERBRU is GOOOOO...... all previous players should have email link to them within 1 hr.

If any1 else on here wants to join our BRILLIANT F1 tipping comp i am posting the link for you to jump on and join in!!!!

EVERY ROTORBURNER is welcome.....

Come join my F1 prediction game on SuperBru! It's free and loads of fun. Just click here:

http://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=11191377
Pool name: Rotorburners

Pool code: gonethus

NO COST ENTRY AND WINNER GET A SPECIAL PRIZE AND BRAGGING RIGHTS..................................

Ivan

Eats Squid
I've been thinking about this for a while, but after seeing this picture on Webber's twitter feed today I am now sure of it.

Ban aero. Then de-restrict fuel allowance.

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I've been thinking about this for a while, but after seeing this picture on Webber's twitter feed today I am now sure of it.

Ban aero. Then de-restrict fuel allowance.

I'm a fan of derestricting the fuel allowance, but ban aero? so the car must resemble a brick? that just ruins the competition. This is the ULTIMATE racecar competition (withing boundaries obviously) you can just ban one of the key parts to going fast.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm a fan of derestricting the fuel allowance, but ban aero? so the car must resemble a brick? that just ruins the competition. This is the ULTIMATE racecar competition (withing boundaries obviously) you can just ban one of the key parts to going fast.
Well, the way I see it is that aero reduces passing opportunities by:

• Shortening braking distances
  • creating dirty air behind the car
  • increases corner speeds (shortening of braking and hard accelerating zone, and reduces the ease of drifting)

Imagine how sweet a modern version of this would be
Ferrari-312-F1-Race-Car-1967-10BCG005700367AA.jpeg

1969 Monaco GP
http://youtu.be/4FnyurCfTsQ?t=3m15s

driftking

Wheel size expert
Well, the way I see it is that aero reduces passing opportunities by:

• Shortening braking distances
  • creating dirty air behind the car
  • increases corner speeds (shortening of braking and hard accelerating zone, and reduces the ease of drifting)

Imagine how sweet a modern version of this would be
View attachment 285389

1969 Monaco GP
http://youtu.be/4FnyurCfTsQ?t=3m15s
How much of a difference would it make to the racing though, I mean all those adaptions will be applied to each car so each car will still have the same braking distances and cornering speed. The dirty air is a good one though. Would we realistically see a large increase in over taking?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Has anybody been watching the same sport as me the last 3-4 years? There's now heaps more overtaking than their used to be! What in the hell do you think DRS is for!?

Webber posted up that pic up because he's a whinging old fart! There's bugger all wrong with modern aero.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Has anybody been watching the same sport as me the last 3-4 years? There's now heaps more overtaking than their used to be! What in the hell do you think DRS is for!?

Webber posted up that pic up because he's a whinging old fart! There's bugger all wrong with modern aero.
Steady on their old chap.

Webber posted a pic of one of his favourite drivers. I'm the one doin the whinging.

DRS has improved it, but I still fall asleep during half the races.
The FIA has finally cottoned on to the fact that lots of aero makes for less passing, which is why they've spent the last few years reducing the wings on the cars.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Steady on their old chap.

Webber posted a pic of one of his favourite drivers. I'm the one doin the whinging.

DRS has improved it, but I still fall asleep during half the races.
The FIA has finally cottoned on to the fact that lots of aero makes for less passing, which is why they've spent the last few years reducing the wings on the cars.
There's a big difference between trying to reduce turbulence and banning aero appendages altogether.

F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of racing, you can't have them going around slower than the kids in formula Ford and Renault.

Although those old cars are still probably the most beautiful things around.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Yeah, I'll admit there's zero chance of there ever being no aero, and I guess this year there's been a significant reduction, along with an increase in torque, so I guess I'll just have to wait until Melbourne before I make any more judgements on how exciting the racing is.

The fuel limit still blows.

Last edited: