Formula One world championship

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not sure if you're joking or not, but there is no muffler as such. the turbo itself muffles the sound however.
maybe a whistle in the blow-off valve?

perhaps I have just demonstrated the limits of my mechanical understanding..... just figured if you could put a new muffler on a little hatchback and make it noisier you could do the same with an F1 car.

cards in the spokes? that would make a wicked sound at 330km/hr

mitchy_

Llama calmer
what they need to do is remove the fuel flow limit, and set a boost limit instead.
then they can hang a FIA homogolated wastegate with a screamer pipe/plumbed externally of the main exhaust off each bank of cylinders and let rip at 15,000rpm.

terrible video, but you'd certainly know when they've got the jandal stuck into it.

[video=youtube;5JM5knbdDB0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JM5knbdDB0[/video]

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I reckon you are close there Mitchy.

The culprit is the fuel flow limit, which makes them run at much lower rpms than we are used to hearing.

I would suggest ditching the flow limit, retaining the total fuel use limit, and raising the rev limit. They still wouldn't sound like a v8, still quieter, but pretty horny.

Blow off valves etc have no place with these regulations, as excess pressure is harnessed as electrical power. That's one of the components of that lovely whine you can hear as they come into corners off throttle.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I reckon you are close there Mitchy.

The culprit is the fuel flow limit, which makes them run at much lower rpms than we are used to hearing.

I would suggest ditching the flow limit, retaining the total fuel use limit, and raising the rev limit. They still wouldn't sound like a v8, still quieter, but pretty horny.

Blow off valves etc have no place with these regulations, as excess pressure is harnessed as electrical power. That's one of the components of that lovely whine you can hear as they come into corners off throttle.
oh i agree a blow off valve is ridiculous (on ANY car), and a wastegate is obviously not going to happen as you say they harness every morsel of energy in some way or another... but short of that there isn't much chance of making a bit more noise.

i cant remember if it was here or another forum, but the pitch of the sound is also heavily reduced which makes them seem quieter. a V8 at 18,000rpm sings at 1200Hz. a V6 at 15,000rpm not only loses 1/4 of the pitch due to cylinder count, but the reduced revs brings it down to 750Hz.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
the pitch of the sound is also heavily reduced which makes them seem quieter. a V8 at 18,000rpm sings at 1200Hz. a V6 at 15,000rpm not only loses 1/4 of the pitch due to cylinder count, but the reduced revs brings it down to 750Hz.
And this is exacerbated by the fact that the fuel flow limit means the new engines very rarely rev out to 15k, they change up at more like 10k to 12k.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Are we looking at fully turned up engines though right now?
We have had one race, and many with issues prior. Is there any chance that these engines are still not at 100%, if not the sound may just improve as the season gets on and reliability becomes more consistent.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If it helps, the cars were double the volume at half throttle on in laps with zero turbo noise, just V6 chatter. That didn't apply to the Lotus cars though, they barely made a sound all weekend. ;)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Whilst it shouldn't have any effect on Mclaren's F1 team (other than making the next GP quite a sombre one) 20 employees of Freescale Semiconductor -A US company who make the processors for the Mclaren ECU that they supply to every NASCAR team- were on board missing flight MH 370.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Anyone got a PS3?

F1 2013 is available just now on PS Network for 18 bucks.
Yes yes I do, good to know. I still play 2011 I like the difficultly of no TC.
I really hate how they made it easier after people whinged they couldn't drive with it off. Just drive with it on then or learn how to be light on the accelerator.
The only downfall to 2011 is the AI manage to do laps on inters way faster than is possible and get onto dry tires too fast. fyi I use a controller no wheel or pedals so no I don't have the luxury of pedals just need to be very sensitive with the fingers. still manage to win legendary with no assist oh except cornering lines I use it as my brake marker still. need to turn that off.

It wont be heard until the middle of next month.
Ah cheers, will keep an eye out
Not looking good from what I can gather though.

scblack

Leucocholic
Bought it due to your heads up POSM - thanks for that. 317minutes left to download. Looks like I will not be playing tonight.

scblack

Leucocholic
Fuck it.

It is 8.7gb to download and I guess it's using up all my download bandwidth. I am on a Telstra t-box which means my Fox2 channel is on the internet so the rugby is now unwatchable.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Fuck it.

It is 8.7gb to download and I guess it's using up all my download bandwidth. I am on a Telstra t-box which means my Fox2 channel is on the internet so the rugby is now unwatchable.
You can stop the download at any time and start it up again later. You've already purchased it so they can't jack up the price on you.

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
Dozer

So big fulla, was it dissapointing watching Prius engines on steroids in cars that have been bit with the ugly stick- glad I decided to wait till next year in the hope they sound better..