Formula One world championship

Pastavore

Eats Squid
That was a bit of a yawn fest last night. Until the last 10 laps, which were mildly entertaining. The Mercs are sooooooooo far ahead of the rest, it is very difficult to see anyone catching them this season. And Redbull best of the rest, Dan must have had a very boring, conservative drive, knowing he couldn't catch the 2 in front, and just maintaining a gap and conserving the engine tothe guys behind.

Great drive by Vettel. I can't believe how many people he passed in exactly the same spot.

Lewis is a paranoid petulant prat.

Maldonado should have a licence that only allows him to drive 4 stroke go carts at indoor tracks with bumpers.

And Grosjean wins the "Dozer's most improved" category for bringing the pig that is the Lotus home in the points.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm getting sick of this alleged tension between Hamilton and Rosberg, we don't need to see a made up rivalry off the circuit. I wish the media would stop creating that crap.
So ah, another weekend and another series of Maldonado fuck ups. He's the epitome of why pay drivers at that level should be reconsidered; he's a wreckless tool.
Drive of the day was easily Vettel, he spanked everyone he got near, regardless of tyre condition.

I'm very keen to hear what Mercedes come up with with the proposed amplifier. The current sound is fucking terrible and regardless of what the action is on track, if it doesn't hammer your senses from the fenceline then I ain't dropping my cash into seeing it. I'm not going to next years race as it was pretty ordinary and yeah, I'm being that guy that is whining about the noise. I've heard these cars frequently over the last twenty years and this is easily the biggest step backwards for the category. It needs to be loud and it needs to thrill. I'm glad they are listening to the people who support the series, that's comforting.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The Ferrari battle for 6th was pretty sweet to watch in itself but the two Mercs battling for 1st in the background was something you definitely don't see every day.

I can't believe some of the teams are accusing Mercedes efforts to enhance the engine noise, as an attempt to cheat. I don't think they really need to at this stage...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I agree, POSM, if anything it will take away valuable testing time for other components. Renault are just shitty because they are being hammered. ;)

driftking

Wheel size expert
Agree this rivalry between the mercs is amplified by media. No doubt there is a rivalry but its no different to any other team on the track and any other driver who wants to win. Hamilton was asking questions that any driver in his position would ask, he wants to know his position in the race in relation to strategy and understand what to expect later on.

Alonso had a great drive too I thought he was a highlight of the race too.
Vettel what the hell happened to his car, it all of a sudden came alive, maybe it was just the tracks development finally coming to the car , he had such a brilliant drive. Looked back to old vettel form, punching out fastest laps and sectors.

Im stoked to see the merc still free to race, last season was such a bummer to watch with vettel just taking off, at least this keeps it open up front still,Niki Lauda's interview after the race was great short and simple.

Dan, stoked for him, not getting Melbourne is such a bummer but hopefully he can remain consistent and fight for the 3rd spot in the championship.

Good race, the end really livened up.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm getting sick of this alleged tension between Hamilton and Rosberg, we don't need to see a made up rivalry off the circuit. I wish the media would stop creating that crap.
So ah, another weekend and another series of Maldonado fuck ups. He's the epitome of why pay drivers at that level should be reconsidered; he's a wreckless tool.
Drive of the day was easily Vettel, he spanked everyone he got near, regardless of tyre condition.

I'm very keen to hear what Mercedes come up with with the proposed amplifier. The current sound is fucking terrible and regardless of what the action is on track, if it doesn't hammer your senses from the fenceline then I ain't dropping my cash into seeing it. I'm not going to next years race as it was pretty ordinary and yeah, I'm being that guy that is whining about the noise. I've heard these cars frequently over the last twenty years and this is easily the biggest step backwards for the category. It needs to be loud and it needs to thrill. I'm glad they are listening to the people who support the series, that's comforting.
When they were having the on track commentary prior to the race, you could hear the GP2 cars screaming around in the background... They sounded MUCH better than the F1 cars, and the commentator said that in fewer words !

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
When they were having the on track commentary prior to the race, you could hear the GP2 cars screaming around in the background... They sounded MUCH better than the F1 cars, and the commentator said that in fewer words !
I saw GP2 last year and was pleasantly surprised. Most of those guys can steer better than half of the pay drivers we see in the top tier and boy do those cars sound good! Prior to having beers with POSM in Singapore, we watched the bulk of another GP2 session from the Singapore Flyer; the big ferris wheel inside the circuit and it was nice to see the sound prrof glass in the capsule you're in being penetrated by the bark of the cars. It's a cool memory. ;)

scblack

Leucocholic
I saw GP2 last year and was pleasantly surprised. Most of those guys can steer better than half of the pay drivers we see in the top tier and boy do those cars sound good! Prior to having beers with POSM in Singapore, we watched the bulk of another GP2 session from the Singapore Flyer; the big ferris wheel inside the circuit and it was nice to see the sound prrof glass in the capsule you're in being penetrated by the bark of the cars. It's a cool memory. ;)
How romantic...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Gp2 can be a bit of a demolition derby too, it certainly was when I caught them at spa. Big shame they can't make the trek to the away races.

akashra

Eats Squid
I'd say GP2s days are numbered though. When it might cost $6-7m to run a GP2 team, but <$1m to run a GP3 team, GP3 is much more likely to find drivers worth supporting that don'e have financial backing.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Sir Jack Brabham passed away earlier today, he was 88. That's shit, he's been a constant face of our Aussie history in racing and was our first ever world champ in F1. I hope he's now in place with perfect car setups and long winding tracks. ;)

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I was fortunate enough to meet Sir Jack when I was a young lad at a go-kart meeting in Orange, NSW where David was racing. Absolute gentleman and very obliging when approached by a shy young boy for an autograph and a photo. An absolute legend of the sport and such a talent, both driving and engineering.
RIP Sir Jack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I was fortunate enough to meet Sir Jack when I was a young lad at a go-kart meeting in Orange, NSW where David was racing. Absolute gentleman and very obliging when approached by a shy young boy for an autograph and a photo. An absolute legend of the sport and such a talent, both driving and engineering.
RIP Sir Jack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's nice to hear. I reckon his family will be a racing name for a while yet. ;)

Yeah, I picked Ricciardo to win in Monte Carlo. Why not huh? He's capable, just needs to get a couple of silver cars behind him. ;)

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We finally are on a track where straight line speed is not overly important. C'mon Dan. Qualifying will be really exciting, hoping to see a Mercedes not beat everyone else by over a second.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm amazed Rosberg has any teeth left after his piss weak effort in qualifying. That was so obvious that he did that on purpose. He was trying to unweight the wheels well before he touched the brakes. And. Even with his shitty low speed lock up,he still could've made that corner easily. I hope he DNF's.
Dan for the win.

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I'm amazed Rosberg has any teeth left after his piss weak effort in qualifying. That was so obvious that he did that on purpose. He was trying to unweight the wheels well before he touched the brakes. And. Even with his shitty low speed lock up,he still could've made that corner easily. I hope he DNF's.
Dan for the win.
Im amazed at the obvious divisions in performance between the cars. Mercs 1/2, RB 3/4 and Ferrari 5/6. Im tempted to back Danny here, if he is going to win anywhere, this will be the place. The rebulls overtaking power combined with the high probability of a safety car gives him a fighting chance in my mind.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yep, agreed. I've got a good feeling for Dan.
This Rosberg Hamilton rivalry is actually pretty real now, it could be epic! Hamilton will punch on at some stage. So excited for potential punch ups!